4.5hr layover in Santiago

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | South America' started by SFOPeter, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    We have a 4.5 hour layover in Santiago between BA and Punta Arenas... is it viable to head to town for lunch and check it out? We are flying LAN coach. Thank you! Peter

2. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sort of, but I wouldn't. I don't know what time of day you are arriving (probably not during the early morning bank) but you need to plan about 45 minutes from walking off the plane until you are through immigration (plus paying your fee at the other booth if it is your first entrance to Chile on the passport), then customs. However, that could be under 30 minutes. You then go upstairs and check in for the connecting flight. If it is on the same ticket and the bag is already tagged, you'll drop it off up there, at the domestic counters. That should not take much time. As far as time allowance for the PUQ departure, as you are already checked in w/no bags to worry about, 1 hour is more than enough time. I don't know if I've ever waited more than 5 minutes for SCL domestic security.

If you go, I'd just head to the Mercado Central - should be less than 15 minutes once you get in the taxi (US$20-something from one of the booths downstairs). Taxi on the return? A metered street taxi (almost always honest and safe). I suppose you could negotiate a fare with one of them - less than what you paid on the inbound, but confirm that he'll take the autopista the entire way.

There aren't a lot of dining options on the SCL domestic side, but it is a pleasant, quiet space most of the time. (That said, you will get bored).

SFOPeter likes this.
  3. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, I'll clarify it a bit. I might do it because I'm quite familiar with things, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend this to someone who isn't.

4. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you, this was very helpful advice.

5. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No problem. Enjoy your trip to the "Deep South."

Also, enjoy your meal on LAN domestic services!

lanbox closed.jpg Lanbox open.jpg

6. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    A Priority Pass card is of good use in SCL... the lounges are quite acceptable.