4.5 hour layover in FRA

Discussion in 'FRA | Frankfurt International Airport' started by Naptimes, Jul 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Naptimes
    Original Member

Naptimes Silver Member

Status Points:
    We're flying DEN to FRA to VCE on Lufthansa and have 4.5 hours between flights at FRA on 7/19. I lived in Hanau as a kid and while I would love to cue up Glory Days and backtrack, it is too far away. I would settle for getting out of the airport for a schnitzel or a wurst and a beer or something even marginally cultural.

Is anything within striking distance if we get moving quickly?

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, you could take the local train to downtown, but I think you'd not really have a whole lot of time to spend on food/drinks, and you could probably find equal quality in the airport itself.

3. myskyconnections

myskyconnections Active Member

Status Points:
    4.5 hours is a long time...but frankfurt airport has a lot to offer.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  4. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    considering the security lines you may encounter at passport control before your VCE flight, you may chew up 30 minutes right there. Not to mention the 30 minutes it will take to "enter" the EU and you may be down to only 3 hours.

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    4.5 hr just ain't that much time. Plenty of wursts and lagers at FRA without the risk of missing the VCE flight...

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could reasonably get 90 minutes in Mainz or Weisbaden and enjoy the time, but it will be tight.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    These are conditions under which Murphy's Law is fully operational -- if anything can go wrong, you can bet on it going wrong when things are 'tight'...and some people maintain that Murphy was actually an optimist :D.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. I would not head out to Mainz for a Frankfurter or a beer on a 4 1/2 hr connection. It's a nice little city and definitely worth a bit more of time to look around (I loved the Gutenberg Museum, for example).

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, there is plenty of opportunity for things to go wrong with such a plan and I probably wouldn't bother either. But it might work. ;)

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It might. But I'd like to see the OP explain to the LH agent that they missed the VCE flight because of a quick trip to Mainz for a wiener and a beer. :D

11. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any recommendations to someone who has a longer layover in FRA. Next April I have booked DUB-FRA arrive FRA 15:00 then next day FRA-LAX leave 10:00 both flights on LH in J. I booked a room at the Hilton Garden Inn Airport for the night so I dont have to Shleep my bags into town and back out. I will be traveling with wife and 5 1/2 year old son.

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I still recommend Weisbaden or Mainz. There is also a left luggage facility in FRA if you'd rather have a hotel in one of the smaller towns but not schlep the luggage on the train. Reasonably priced as I recall.

Flyer1976 and particlemn like this.
  13. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    is there an easy train to take our should we just take a cab?

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Lots of public transportation. http://www.rmv.de/en/

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    VERY easy train. It is the same one you would take into Frankfurt but you just go the other direction instead. You're only 20-30 minutes from Mainz or Weisbaden, roughly the same as from Frankfurt.

16. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that you should take the train, particularly the InterCity Express train (ICE), which is really. I was in the FRA area last October, to attend a meeting in Montabaur, which is a charming little town known only for its ancient, bright yellow castle. It is about one hour from FRA, just south of Cologne. Which ever way you decide to go, give yourself some time to know the transportation system, as some colleagues wound up in Cologne, unsure about where to get off in Montabaur (it is the sort of errors that could happen and make excursions around tight connection times risky...)

17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Taking the ICE is overkill in this situation. For one thing, I don't believe it stops in Mainz or Weisbaden. It also doesn't save a notable amount of time and it costs a lot more than the S-Bahn. The closest equivalent in the USA would be taking Acela for $100 from NYP to PHL rather than the local which takes about 10 minutes longer for $35-40.

As for visiting those cities on a short connection, Weisbaden is end of the line at one end and Frankfurt is end of the line at the other end. It is hard to get too lost.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  18. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:

I went in the other direction on ICE and we seemed to stop quite a few times along the way, and I think that it depends on how far the poster wants to go. With about 12hr to kill, there is no longer a requirement to hang close to FRA, and ICE would be how I would handle it (from NYC, I would go to DC on the Acela rather than on the Amtrak NE Corridor, e.g.)

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I assume the 5 1/2 year old might find it fun to ride on the fast train, but probably also wants to sleep a significant portion of the layover time (aka night). :) I'd go with Seth's advice, take the local train, and enjoy some time looking around in Mainz or Wiesbaden, get a good night of sleep, and then be back at the airport bright and early in the morning for the 10am departure to LAX.

20. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Certainly YMMV. I once had 10 hours in Istanbul beginning about 8 pm. I went to the city to a recommended cheap hotel, dropped my bags and partied all night, returning only to pick up the bags, go back to the airport and catch my flight. So, circumstances will dictate different approaches, since I do not think that I would have done what I did in IST if I had been accompanied by a 5 y.o. ;)

21. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yea this will be night 15 of the trip starting with 8 in london and 6 in dublin so we should be well acustomed to the time by then, he would love a fast train but on a previous trip we took the TVG from Paris to Karlsrhue so he has done the real fast train before, i see there is a veniculat train in Weisbaden that runns on water that might be fun.

22. BuckleandBoots

BuckleandBoots Silver Member

Status Points:
    ICE is total overkill. The train ride from FRA into downtown is less than 20 minutes and you should be able to get a sweet deal on train tickets if you purchase a "Partner/Familie Tages-Karte." It ends up costing marginally more to travel as a family vs. an individual ticket.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  23. Travelino333

Travelino333 New Member

Status Points:
    seems to long to wait and too short to get away and do something fun.
    I´d stay there, get some rest and do shopping...;)

gamecock and Wandering Aramean like this.
  24. gamecock

gamecock Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is a pretty authentic German restaurant in Terminal One outside the secure area, believe it's called Kuffler & Bucher. I have enjoyed a cheesecake and coffee there on more than one occasion. As already mentioned above there is some really good shopping at FRA as well. Terminal one is a good German shopping experience. There are some grocery stores and bakery or two to satisfy your German food urges in the basement of T-1.
    You can get some authentic bread there. When living in Germany I used to buy a loaf of bread to bring home to my German mother every time I flew back to the States.

An interesting option would be an airport tour. There is one for every aspect of airport/plane enthusiast.
    http://www.frankfurt-airport.com/co...njoy0/airport_sightseeingtours/mini-tour.html

Some are as short as 45 minutes.....

Wandering Aramean and Flyer1976 like this.
  25. bkl99

bkl99 Active Member

Status Points:
    Was just at FRA last weekend and enjoyed spending our layover in the business lounge. They have decent snacks, drinks and even wursts (hotdogs)! Plenty of seats, TVs and power outlets.