4/28 IAD - ORF delayed due to overfueling by 5000 pounds

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sdcarver, Apr 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was on the last flight from IAD-ORF on 4/27 which was delayed due to "overfueling by 5000 pounds for a 27 minute flight" (Pilot's quote) not only did we have the dealy they neeeded 6 volunteers to get off the flight due to being overweight. This all resulted in us being on the Tarmac an extra hour due to missing our window of being clear due to lightning in the area.

My question is this; how do you refuel a communter flight by that much?

Thanks for the opportunity to rant :)

sdcarver

2. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thread Title incorrect, meant to put date as 4/27.

sdcarver

3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't offer an exact explanation, but sometimes an airplane will be fueled up at one station as the flight details will allow. For example, UA ps flights will load up on fuel in SFO as much as it can in order to reduce the amount needed to fill up at JFK, where fuel costs more.

But it sounds like someone goofed on the amount needed. Maybe someone added an extra zero somewhere?

4. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should get an apology card or an email from united apologizing for the delay with X amount of miles deposited into your account... Or you can write an email to UA about this issue...

5. gba
    Original Member

gba Silver Member

Status Points:
    Too bad they bumped people, last time I was overfuel we sat on the taxiway, gunned the engines, and burned fuel for half an hour then took off. Almost made me turn into an environmentalist.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  6. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    :eek: If they do it today at today's fuel price, the pilot surely will get some disciplinary action... I'd bet gunning the engine for 30 minutes will cost at least several times more than just IDB'ing 6 people...

7. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    wow!!!....

sdcarver

8. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If they just burned it off it would by 5000/6.75 *$3 = >$2,222 mistake. Not much for a corporation to write home about...

9. scott6067
    Original Member

scott6067 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This could have simply been a Fuel Ticket mistake. The person in operations that was writing the fuel sheets could have written the one for another aircraft instead of the ORF flight. Usually these can be caught if the same person works the operations desk but in some locations that changes daily and thus harder to catch.

10. CGK
    Original Member

CGK Gold Member

Status Points:
    How is anything a true overfuel? At worst, the aircraft is a bit heavy for takeoff and the first one or two flights. But, how marginally less efficient can it be to run an overfueled flight than an optimally efficent one? Are we supposed to reduce ourselves to third-world standards of fuel minimums?

11. CGK
    Original Member

CGK Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that I'm probably not thinking about this in proper aviation terrms. If I overfueled my car, the gas pump would just spill gas out onto the ground at the gas station. I would never be in a position that would be considered overheavy to go from Bethesda to Dupont if I overfueled the car in Bethesda.. I would just have a full tank.

12. CGK
    Original Member

CGK Gold Member

Status Points:
    Attention ladies and gentlemen, we loaded too much fuel onto the plane, so the net cost of operating this flight will be $20 more than had we not moderated the fuel load given the number of passengers, so we hope you understand the fact that we are actually mentioning our cost savings efforts.

13. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you all for your responses, very interesting insights on cost of fuel versus VDBing passengers and the impact of overfueling...

sdcarver