3rd Qtr Citi AAdvantage Reduced Mileage Awards Out!

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by GiddyforPoints, Jun 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. GiddyforPoints

GiddyforPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. John Woram

John Woram Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oops! I goofed in posting this reply earlier -- sent it to the wrong destination (newbie here). So, here it is again, hopefully in the right place this time.

Uh, what am I missing here? From the AA/Citi reduced mileage announcement: "the flight has to already be a mileage saver which looks like the below:" There is <i>nothing</i> below, except two do-nothing buttons, which just re-display the button itself.

Anyway, I'm a newbie here (as noted above) -- came looking for any comments on AA's recent mileage/upgrade policies. My frequent-flyer days are long over, but I still do an annual JFK/EZE trip, continuing on AR to Ushuaia to do some lectures on a cruise ship. So, in past years I've never had a problem getting an upgrade to business class. This year, forget about it. No upgrades available on any flight on any day close to my travel dates. Seems to me that AAdvantage miles are now pretty close to useless. Just wondered if any other non-frequent flyers had similar experiences.

3. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
    Right, so the linked page is just a blog describing the awards. What it is saying is that even though you can't book the reduced awards online, you can check for availability online. If a flight to/from a listed destination shows as available at the saver level, as indicated by the two button-looking graphics, at 12.5K for coach or 25K for first, then it's also available for the reduced-mileage awards when you call in.

The real item of note here isn't that the new list of cities is out, but rather that (1) they've changed from a quarterly list of cities to a monthly list, and (2) you can now book one way awards. Until now, roundtrip purchase was required.

And I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but since awards are now one way, that also implies that you can fly the round trip in either direction. Previously, the terms said the roundtrip had to be to (not from) a listed airport.

4. John Woram

John Woram Silver Member

Status Points:
    My puzzlement was that the two buttons appeared to be links to more info, but weren't. Anyway, I hope this program is a bit more flyer-friendly than the regular international upgrades program mentioned in my first message.

5. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points: