3rd App O Rama in one year

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Traveling Momma, Oct 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Traveling Momma

Traveling Momma Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all -

I'd love to get the group's input on what to do in my next round of cards:

From several years prior to collecting credit cards we already had (and did not cancel) the following:

Chase Ink Mastercard –- business
    Chase Slate Visa –– personal

In my first AoR, I applied for....
    • 2/6/2013 Southwest Visa - Personal
    • 2/6/2013 Southwest Visa - Business
    • 2/6/2013 "Citi AA Visa – Personal
    • 2/6/2013 Chase Ink MC - Business

In my second AoR I applied for......
    • 5/15/2013 Chase Ink Bold - Business
    • 5/15/2013 Chase Sapphire Preferred
    • 5/15/2013 Hilton Reserve - Personal
    • 5/15/2013 Amex SPG - Personal
    • 5/15/2013 Amex Gold - Business
    • 5/15/2013 Barclay's Lufthansa - Personal
    • 5/15/2013 Citi AA Visa - Business (was declined for having one already)
    We did the same for Traveling Poppa.

We now have trips booked up through August 2014 however, the next two aspirational awards we’re going to try for are as follows always in business or first.

1. Hawaii at Christmas (will try for US airways) but we have 150K in one account, 50K in one account.

2. Northern South America or South American for March 2015

or

3. Costa Rica for March 2015

Does anyone have input and direction on what our next apps should look like?

Thanks.

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    we spent last new years in hawaii and will return again this new years, it is very tough to get saver award flights around this time, both trips we got one way saver in first and had to have the otehr way in coach at standard award, its kinda hurts to spend more miles for a coach trip than for the other first class trip, but spening the week in late december in the warmth made us forget about that.
    i would look at the lufthansa card, 70k RT mainland to hawaii in First if on United is not too bad

Traveling Momma, iolaire and anileze like this.
  3. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    Here's what I ended up going for and the outcome:

1. Citi AA business – DONE – Instant approval

2. Chase British Airways – 100K Avios personal – DONE (had to move around credit from other lines )

3. SPG business – DONE (Immediate approval)

4. US Airways 35k personal – DONE (Immediate approval as described in your tutorial)

5. Club Carlson personal – DONE (Immediate approval)

6. TY Premier – Denied online (called recon and gave more info and was told it should fine now but that they’ll let me know. 1-888-201-4523

Not a bad haul!

4. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice. Obvious cards for the future:

- Chase Ink VISA (different product, so you should be able to get it. Maybe wait until after Ink Plus?)
    - Chase Ink Plus (I need to be able to defer some of my expenses...)
    - Chase Freedom (nice 5X bonuses every quarter, and if you have the Sapphire or Ink you can transfer the points)
    - Amex Hilton Surpass (nice 6X categories, including groceries, even if HH points are worth only .4 cents each)
    - Amex Hilton NAF (nice card to keep for the long haul)
    - Amex PRG (great bonus categories, and usually there's a nice application bonus every so often)
    - Amex Platinum (still $450 fee, but hey, $200 credit this year, $200 the next compensates for this)

as well as of course churning the US Air and Amex SPG cards on whatever schedule they currently support. Last
    I looked it was 90 days on the US Air but have the feeling that doesn't work anymore. SPG should work after
    a year.

5. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    @gconnery thanks for the input. I've put these on my list for next round.

My first round of cards will be at the yearly fee in Feb '14 so I'll have some decisions to make about keeping or cancelling. This hobby is always interesting....

6. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    Okay, annual fees are now due. Now I'm struggling with the decision to keep the following cards:

1. Southwest personal Visa
    2. Southwest business Visa
    3. SPG Amex

Here are my questions:

1. If I cancel the two southwest cards how long until I can apply for them again to get the Companion Pass? My current CP is good through end of '14 so ideally I reapply for these two cards and work to get the CP in early 2015. Can this be done? Are SW cards churnable like this>
    2. I have the SPG business card so think I should cancel the SPG personal and move the credit to another Amex card so my credit utilization doesn't change. Will this allow me to then apply again for the personal SPG card right away or do I have to wait 12 - 18 months?

Thanks for any input.

7. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    In terms of the SW cards they have a Plus and Premier version of each card. Therefore at the end of this year or beginning of next you can apply for the opposite version and earn the CP gain. The Plus I believe has a $69 annual fee and the Premier has a $89 annual fee.

I applied for Personal and Business Premier in November (timing bonus for January) and at the end of 2015 I plan to apply for both Plus cards.

So depending on how you value their miles you can keep them and get the miles for the annual fee and cancel after apply for the new ones (transferring the credit) or just cancel now and save the money.

As for the SPG I believe you will need to wait 12 months.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    Super. Thanks for the input. I'll wait until close to the end of the year to see if want the CP again. I have lots of Citi TY points that are good for domestic travel and some pretty audacious int'l travel planned for 2015 so I might wait until 2016 for the CP again.

I will cancel my SPG only if I can keep the CL and move to another card. I have the SPG business card so can continue to build SPG points on that one.

Cheers.

gconnery likes this.
  9. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Like TUMD said, Chase cards are a once in a lifetime deal, at least in theory, for a given card (unless they change it, even slightly). So you can't get those exact same Southwest cards again and get the bonuses. In theory. But you can get slightly different ones. I see no reason to keep either of these, just let them go and then apply for the others at the appropriate time to get your Companion Pass again. Ideally you'd qualify early in a year when you'll use the Companion Pass both that year and the next quite a lot. Remember that you may never be able to do this again in your life (well, your partner can do it, but not you).

The Amex SPG do what you are currently planning. Keep the Business SPG open so you can get the Open savings at Hyatt etc. Close the personal SPG. Wait 12 months + 1 day before applying again. You should get the bonus.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. Fishing4Deals

Fishing4Deals Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprised the BarclayCard Arrival is not on your list. The $400 sign up bonus can be used to offset any travel expense.

11. flynow

flynow Silver Member

Status Points:
    Been thinking about the Berkeley arrival card for the $400 just might do it