$376,480.39 in loose change

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by Efilon87, Jan 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Chimpy and Gargoyle like this.
  2. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I think close to 800million people flew in 2010, pretty bad tip for being groped!

3. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is a lot of loose change :confused: and does not include coins that were not turned in to TSA finance department for counting.

Chimpy, Gargoyle and canucklehead like this.
  4. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had more than one TSA agent run after me for leaving change in the plastic tubs. And since in Canada our 1$ and 2$ are coins, it can add up quickly.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's why I have as few individual items as possible as I go through security. I cringe when I see people drop cellphones, wallets, passports, drivers licenses, keys, coins, hair clips, jewelery, watches, ... into those nasty bins. All that stuff is in a designated pocket of my carry on. It's bad enough that I typically need 2-3 bins for laptop, IPad, wet bag, shoes, ... (iPad because in 43.5% of all cases they will rescan/take apart my backpack if it contains an iPad despite what they say on their website).

Chimpy and Scottrick like this.
  6. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Once I threw all my change, keys, kay chains etc. into a designated pocket in my laptop/carry on bag. They ended up running it through the x-ray twice and pulled me aside. Apparently the change and other stuff in the pocket created an odd looking image in the x-ray. Since then I try to leave as much at home and keep throwing the rest in the grey tub.

I recently upgraded to Tom Bihn tri-fold bag. About 80% of the time they don't make me take it out. I still cringe at what it cost me :oops:

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:

My laptop is in a cheap sleeve in the backpack. It comes out of the backpack at the checkpoint, but never the sleeve.

Never had my carry-on searched because of keys and coins. Too many cables/chargers/cameras/eReaders/tablets/phones stacked on top of each other will do it.

Chimpy likes this.