35 Best Airport Restaurants Around the World

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by Newscience, Dec 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure that this is very much subject to debate, but here's a compilation of the top 35 airport restaurants from www.thedailymeal.com Which airport restaurant(s) did this compilation miss?:

35 Best Airport Restaurants Around the World

Traveling makes you hungry. Whether you’re flying across the country or across the globe, you’re going to crave a meal, or at least a snack, dessert, and definitely a tasty drink. But where can you find good food when you’re en route? It can be tough to know where to grab a bite when you’re on-the-go. That’s why we’re helping you decide where to nibble, nosh, and imbibe at airports from America to Australia, England to Spain, and many more locales around the world.

Read the entire article here:

http://www.thedailymeal.com/35-best-airport-restaurants-around-world/112513

2. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    airports are kind of like islands, once you get there everything cost more than normal

unless I had an unexpected delay or layover, I would always opt to eat in town :eek:

Flyer1976 and Newscience like this.
  3. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Icebox Cafe at Miami Intl is quite good

Frontera at ORD is also exceptional

Newscience likes this.
  4. wannaflyaway

wannaflyaway Member

Status Points:
    But are they overpriced as you suggested in your previous post?

Newscience likes this.
  5. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well that list was just ridiculous.

One Flew South is probably the single best restaurant in any domestic airport.

On the other hand, the Salt Lick in AUS (or in DFW or OKC) is sh!tty barbecue relying on the brand name of an actually quite good non-airport establishment for any currency at all. And Tortas Fronteras makes good sandwiches, but it's still just sandwiches. Same issue with ranking any pizza place in the top 10....

6. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most, if not all of the US restaurants, and one in Europe in the list are relying on the brand name from non-airport sources. With most domestic flights in the US now meal-free in coach, it is a bonanza to charge an arm-n-a-leg for slightly better than food-court nameless fare. Not a high bar ;)

Newscience likes this.
  7. gaijin62

gaijin62 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm, this list seems very America, Euro-centric. I find it hard to believe that no restaurants in Asian airports made the list. Arashi at Narita Airport for example is excellent if you have a taste for Ramen.

Newscience and anileze like this.
  8. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    True. There some great places to eat in SIN, ICN, NRT, BKK... Unfortunately I have very little experience with chinese airports; I bet they have some good ones too.

Newscience and gaijin62 like this.
  9. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if some here actually did look at the entire list or even read the criteria used to compile it :) ( and call me crazy for imaging seeing at least one from SIN)
    Most restaurants at Chinese airports tend to be branches or worse poor knock offs of American fast food joints.

Quite amusing to see the reaction of some here though.... bearing in mind that any such list is if nothing subjective....oh well :)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
    Newscience likes this.
  10. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Further, in the US, most airports have a single vendor, and the vendor slaps the name on all the airport's food concessions, so the typical QC from the parent may be lacking. (SFO is one of the exceptions to this.)

Flyer1976, anileze and Newscience like this.
  11. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I doubt that Danny Meyers would allow such a use his a.k.a Shake Shack, or Dean & Deluca would allow someone else to run their brand for them.

Newscience and gaijin62 like this.
  12. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Domestically, however, the two Shacks headed to JFK won’t be run by Meyer’s Union Square Hospitality Group, as the other U.S. locations are, but by the food-service provider SSP America. (The baseball stadium locations, in CitiField and Nationals Field, are run by Union Square Hospitality's catering division and staffed with employees from the food-service giant Aramark).
    http://www.grubstreet.com/2013/05/shake-shack-expansion-analysis.html

anileze and Newscience like this.
  13. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shouldn't this read "some US airports"? I know for a fact that this is not the case with MIA or TPA

Newscience likes this.
  14. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I do believe it to be a substantial majority. Even some of the high end @ MIA is run by HMS Host. http://www.hmshost.com/2011/02/17/wine-and-dine-at-miami-international-airport/
    http://www.hmshost.com/2012/01/19/hmshost-welcomes-shula’s-bargrill-to-southwest-florida-international-airport/ "The first Shula’s Bar&Grill located in an airport opened with HMSHost in May 2011 at Miami International Airport."

And here's TPA for you http://www.hmshost.com/2012/05/31/savor-the-local-flavor-at-tampa-international-airport/

Newscience likes this.
  15. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct.. but HMS Host negotiates with the airport, leases the properties, selects the tenants and does the build out to the specs of the restaurant owners and all other infrastructure. They do not get involved is the prices charged, the type of menu or even the quality of the food services provided.

So its a bit disingenuous to say "the vendor slaps the name on all the airport's food concessions" that's like saying the Simon group ( the US largest mall operator) has control or influences the type and quality of the jeans the Gap sells at their mall stores.

Newscience likes this.
  16. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks - I learn something new everyday !

Newscience likes this.
  17. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    At a mall, the Gap employs the employees, procures the clothes and your customer experience with the Gap is with the Gap. At the airport, HMS Host buys and cooks the food, employs the employees, and your customer experience with "Airport Delight Name Brand Restaurant" is with HMS Host.

anileze and Newscience like this.
  18. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    So Dany Meyers, or Tom Colliccio, and the likes get the chichink for lending their name ? Good Gig !!

Newscience likes this.
  19. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a more interesting list than I was expecting. I suspect few of us can comment as, even on this forum, there can be very few who have traveled to all the necessary terminals to experience these different restaurants. But the few I do recognise deserve their place and only one (the one in Atlanta) looked positively disgusting! But then my requirements vary from those of others. I like airport food to be healthy principally as well as filling and I like the ambience to be correct. There has to be a sense of place, but it should also be restful. That's where Plane Food has it so right - despite the food being somewhat derivative.

20. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Variety is the spice of life..or something along those lines, I find Airport prices to be extremely overpriced, knowing that the minute I step outside of the airport I can get a similar meal for cheaper. I sometimes take snacks with me anyway, always depends what time you fly, don't always find it a necessity to eat at the airport.

21. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would expand on your statement "like islands," to "like chains of islands." Most larger airports have multiple concourses, and even terminals, and each is likely to have unique restaurant offerings.

Some fliers might ONLY be familiar with what is available on the concourses, that they normally travel. That is how we encounter most airport food. As we mostly fly UA, or a Star Alliance carrier, we usually ONLY see what is available in the particular concourse, or terminal, out of which we are flying. With but a few exceptions, we are not planning to dine, upon arrival, UNLESS we are connecting, and then might venture into two concourses, or terminals, but will most likely miss any restaurant elsewhere on the airport's property. Even with multi-concourse, or multi-terminal transit, so very much will depend on the time that we have. Though I like to build in plenty of time to make connections (I just flat hate to rush), there might only be time to dine near either the arrival, or departure gate.

We are also tempted to not dine in the airport's restaurants by the class that we are flying, and then by any food/drink offerings at the airport Lounges. If we are flying BC, or FC, there WILL be food, though on UA, the quality (even on long-haul Global FC) might be suspect. Also, most UA/Star Alliance International FC Lounges will have food, and some will be better, than others.

We have wanted to try Gordon Ramsay's Plane Food (on the list), LHR, but as we fly UA and not BA, seldom have time to journey to Terminal 5. For us, to arrive early enough to make such a journey, would have to be balanced by dining near our hotel in London/Mayfair vs getting to LHR many hours early. To date, we choose to dine in town, but might make an exception, just to sample the fare.

Considering our normal flight patterns, my nominations would be, and in no order:

Yankee Pier - SFO Terminal 3, but close to International, with no additional security between the two
    Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen - IAH Terminal E
    Pour la France - DEN Terminal B

Wine selections score bonus points with us, and each of the above has adequate offerings, but then the UA Lounges, at each airport, has premium wines, and the stemware is better too.

We have done a few, late-year MR's to both SFO and DEN, only to dine at one of the above restaurants, then head back to PHX.

Now, given the opportunity, we would rather grab a cab and head into "the city," for a good meal. We do that at HNL, coming in Inter-Island, before return to the Mainland - we'll build in a long layover at HNL, then cab to Alan Wong's King Street, have a great, early meal, then catch the 10:30PM UA flight to SFO, or LAX. We just cannot do the Chef's Counter, and always let the staff know that we have to "eat and run."

22. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy and Newscience like this.