3000 miles, $75 off or 10% off. Which to choode?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by xopping, Apr 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. xopping

xopping Silver Member

Status Points:
    Took thr flight 835 from ORD to PVG in BusinessFirst. The Video system on my seat has some problem. The flight attendent gave a card for apology. Just checked UA appreciation on line. There are three options, 3000 miles, 10% off and $75 off. The last two are valid for a year. I do not travel a lot. Should I choose the miles? Thanks!

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it depends entirely on what you're planning to do in the future, but I have to say that's rather crappy compensation for such a long flight without IFE in BusinessFirst.

As far as the choices go, seems to make sense that if you're planning to take any revenue flights priced at over $750 within the year then the 10% off is your best choice, since it would seemingly be worth more than the other two options. 3k miles is "something", but I wouldn't consider it much in terms of a bump in your balance.

3. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree! My only reference point is a few years ago traveling on Northwest in World Business, my IFE remote didn't work (but the touchscreen did!), and I received a certificate for 25,000 miles or some e-cert amount (~$250 but I don't remember).

Either way, a much more generous amount of compensation. Another change we'll like ;)

theBOAT

4. xopping

xopping Silver Member

Status Points:
    I prefer miles. Is it possible to ask for more miles? How to do that? Have no experience.

5. xopping

xopping Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I want ask them for more miles.

6. xopping

xopping Silver Member

Status Points:
    By the way, my ticket is an award ticket.
    Does this matter?

7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    It shouldn't matter in the least... just like traveling on an award ticket doesn't mean you don't get to go to the bathroom or lunch like the other passengers. :)

I'd write a terse but friendly letter explaining to them how it was an inconvenience to you to have to travel for that long with a malfunctioning IFE -- and I suppose the rest of the cabin was full and you couldn't be moved? -- and that you don't believe the options they offered you represent adequate compensation.

Some people (even here) will say "tough nuggets" and that you're lucky you got anything, but IMO it sucks and the worst that can happen is they say no, so what do you have to lose?

JLSocks likes this.
  8. xopping

xopping Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you very much! I Do Not have luck this time. It is my first time to travel on UA 777 bussinessfirst. It showed the aircraft has flat bed new configrution, but suddenly changed to the old configration. No flat bed, no IFE. Only the PTV, which did Not work well for me. You are right. It's totally full, no other seats available.

desamo likes this.
  9. Pat89339
    Original Member

Pat89339 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just a minor comment, but it would be 10% off the base price, not the full price (including taxes and fuel surcharges) of the ticket.

desamo, bucketlist and genemk2 like this.
  10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well equipment changes happen, whether because of mechanical issues or just schedule changes, and I'm sure we all cry like sad clowns who got punched in the face when that happens.

IFE issues aside, I wouldn't expect compensation from an equipment change -- although I would probably try very hard to get put on another flight with the original equipment as soon as I found out, especially if traveling international.

desamo likes this.
  11. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd pick the 75.00 coupon, but that's just me.

Knowing that 3000 miles costs 90.00 for the "Award Maximizer", the miles seem to be a better value though.

12. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, I just bought 2966 for $84. Doesn't change your basic point, but just a data point on pricing.

13. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    if you buy expensive fares = 10% will net the most value
    If you don't then = $75

3000 miles is a throw away.

14. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm guessing it's actually 10% off the base fare, though, not the entire fare. So for SFO-Europe, it's probably worth around $75 in many cases even though the ticket prices is half again to double the base fare.

15. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most of these percent off certs are domestic only, which may affect things.
    I'd take the $$.

16. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    The real value is using the on 10% certs on discounted international business class, which I have done. The percent off certs PMUA issued were good on Z,C,D (Business) and P,A,F fares (First, 3 cabin)