$3000 bill and no minimum spend

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by michael21, Feb 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys...so my parents have a $3000 property tax bill but we just got through minimum spends on all our AMEX platinums and golds and I can't figure out what to do with this bill. I refuse to just pay for it from a checking account...YUCK!

Any ideas? We have pretty much any card worth having.

Thanks

zshanlon likes this.
  2. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    HHonors 6x for Vanilla Reload at CVS, load Bluebird, send check from Bluebird for tax payment?

If you prefer MR points to HHonors points, you could use the Amex PRG to buy debit cards at a gas station or grocery store (2x) and then load a Bluebird with those at Walmart.

3. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Id rather not bluebird it. And I have a cache of Hilton points.

4. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any reason you don't want to BB it? If you are worried about the bill not making it to the tax authority, just have the check sent to yourself and then pay it from there.

Mike

5. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good point but its more the Hilton element. I'm looking for SPG points, AMEX or UR.

6. Food Wine and Miles

Food Wine and Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can load BB with any credit card - the ROI just isn't quite as nice as HH. Anything wrong with using SPG Amex at CVS?

7. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    In that case I can do it directly with SPG.

8. Purewater

Purewater Active Member

Status Points:
    Buy a $3000 American Express Giftcard thru Big Crumbs. You'll get 1.4% back and probably pay a net 1% transaction fee. This way you don't waste the BB points (i.e. you can get the BB points + separate points for paying your property taxes).

The maximum on an AmEx gift card is $3,000 so if it's above that, you'll have to make a second payment.

9. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think I'm being quite dense today -- can you clarify what you mean here? Are you saying buy the GC and load it to BlueBird?

10. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You only get points for buying the Amex GC, but you'll end up making a "profit" of about $35, which can then go towards the fees for loading your Bluebird ($3K = $24). That way, you still get your 3K SPG points as well as $11 for going via this route.

11. Purewater

Purewater Active Member

Status Points:
    No, that's not what I mean...you can get $5,000 in credit card spending per month using Bluebird, whether you pay bills with those funds or not, at a cost of $39.50 (10 vanilla reloads @$3.95/each, loading $500 on each one). You can have a check sent to someone (i.e. your spouse), deposit those funds into your checking account and pay off your credit card bill. Its circular.

Can you pay taxes with your BB funds? Sure, you can. But instead, you could buy AmEx gift cards thru BigCrumbs, pay your taxes, and generate miles/points for about a net 1% cost. This way you get your full allotment of points via Bluebird plus additional points using AmEx gift cards to pay your taxes. Make sense? Let me know if not.

12. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    Give me the cash and i'll pay it for you.