300,000 BA miles. Help me choose a way to use them please!

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by girlsmom, Jul 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. girlsmom
    Original Member

girlsmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am sitting on 300,000 BA miles and I'd like to use them for a family trip (6 people) next summer. We just did a European vacation (prg, mad, lhr, cdg) and we're not against another one next year to different cities, but I've heard that BA charges hefty fees/taxes to Europe and we want to get the biggest vacation bang for our miles bucks. So perhaps South America (peru?) or asia (though not HKG or PEK... already been there)?

Ok MP experts: help me concoct the best plan using these miles for a, say, a three week trip with kids (ages 10-17). I know that BA allows stopovers when they are direct... but I need some expert ideas.

p.s. we need to leave from the WAS area... though are flexible and can also leave from the NYC area if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

jmrich1432, JohnDeere19 and uggboy like this.
  2. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps Thailand if you're looking at Asia, or Japan?

Kalboz, JohnDeere19 and uggboy like this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    BA charges more miles when adding more than one partner to an award. You can fly BA, BA + one partner, or just one partner. If we nix Europe, the only BA partners flying from the DC area are American and Alaska.

If you will fly from New York you can add Cathay Pacific and LAN to the mix.

Do you absolutely need to cover all six people with miles? Getting six passengers on awards on the same flights is not easy. Might be easier if you would buy a few seats and redeem a few.

BA adds fuel surcharges to Cathay Pacific awards, actually to awards on all partners where a paid fair includes a surcharge. Cathay awards the charges will be less (and so will the actual 'taxes') than on a Europe award. Domestic awards won't include fuel surcharges. And neither will South America.

I can't tell you where to travel of course but there's a lot more to Asia than Hong Kong and Beijing! And South America is certainly worth exploring.

4. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are thinking about Cathay what about tacking on a trip to Vietnam and Thailand? We recently did a redemption out of SFO to HKG and added on SGN for additional taxes, no extra points.

I would highly recommend Vietnam, fly into SGN, get yourself up to Danang via local carrier and see Ho An and Hue, fly up to Hanoi and do Halong Bay. Vietnam is an interesting destination with a lot to offer and prices are reasonable once you get there.

5. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd love to get there one day!

6. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Australia and New Zealand? Possible stopover in Hawaii? AA and QF?

If you can't think of anything, I would be more than happy to take all your 300K miles! :p

7. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you have a 2-4-1 voucher from $30k+ spend in a year?

uggboy likes this.
  8. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    My only hesitation in recommending Australia is how expensive everything is once you get there. I say that as an Aussie, just got back to the US after a 6 week stint and know how much it was costing us every day for food and lodging compared to our week in Vietnam.

uggboy and JohnDeere19 like this.
  9. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would highly recommend a trip to South America - 40K in coach each on LA and you can fly from JFK. The timings are great - you get on the flight at night and reach LIM in the morning and if you fly business (80 K each), you can get a great night's sleep on LAN's flatbeds. Plus, it is roughly the same time zone so no jet-lag to get over. BA allows unlimited stopovers so I would try and visit parts of Peru (the Sacred Valley is great but you would have to buy internal Peru flights on your own), Argentina and/or Chile over a 3 week trip. If your family is into outdoorsy stuff, Patagonia is sublime (expensive, though).

10. girlsmom
    Original Member

girlsmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the great suggestions. We considered SA, but then nixed it because we think our youngest is too young and we'd rather wait a few more years.
    So how about this -- is this a possible routing? And how many BA miles would that cost PP RT?
    WAS-LAS-LAX-HNL-WAS

If we go to LAS, we can spend a week and do Bryce/Zion/Grand Can... stop for a day or two in LA (or not -- it's not necessary), and then off to Hawaii (any island, I guess... haven't thought that far yet) for a week and then back.

Is this considered direct routing with stopovers? or not. (somehow I think not... but I'm not sure)

11. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking at this post and the one you made in the AA forum I think you might be able to do something to make it considered only one RT, as opposed to increasing the mileage as DestinationDavid pointed out might happen. I am not 100% of this, but it might work.

Instead of routing IAD-LAX-LAS, try routing WAS-XXX (somewhere not LAX)-LAS that way you aren't overshooting LAS (perhaps ORD or DFW). BA awards allow unlimited stopovers so you should be able to manage that. The rest of the itinerary looks like it is still in the correct order, so it should be allowed within the RT rules. Good luck and let us know what happens.