30 days in on the Serve Amex anyone else ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by satman40, Mar 3, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Loaded it and paid a few bills with the BP seems to work

Did not like looking for VRs to reload, this one I keep the CC.

5000 limit per mo on CC, I can live with that, and they say a BB can change his colors, and SERVE after a 31 day vacation. Have a few CVS in my area of the country.

Open to ideas,

2. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, following with interest. Thinking about getting one for the wife, might get one for myself in the future after a 31-day hiatus. Have to wait until I've hit the spend for my last AOR, though that won't be long now.

One thing I understand is that you can do online loads using a credit card for $100/day, $1,00 per month max. And that amount doesn't impact your ability to do swipe reloads/VR loads. So basically $6,000 a month. Something you can't do with BB. You can apparently do another $1,000 of online debit loads as well, but I'm ASSUMING its like the BB and that you can't use Gift Cards for the debit loads. If you did have a mile/point earning debit card you could do another $1,000 in spend per month.

3. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I went in CVS quite about a year ago, and seen many different Amex VR cards took one, with the Mgrs permission, and still confused, so was he.

The FTU in Chicago helped, but locally the load cards were not always there, so far this has been great, referred another guy and his wife, and they are on their way,

Be glad for the SEA / FTU, always glad to hear how others are doing,

Miles have always been a life saver, done a lot I could have never afforded,

While working I could never take more than a few days off anyhow.

4. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I live in San Jose where I spend a lot of time its virtually impossible to find VRs. Too many MP collectors (and possibly people) competing for limited stock. I assume some have knowledge of exactly when they show up each month or whatever. I live in a smaller town though and we have two CVS's and even there it is relatively difficult to find VRs. When I'm lucky I find enough to hit my BB limit of $5,000 a month, often supplemented by VGCs at 7-Eleven for a dollar more than I have to dump through WM. I try and only hit WM when I can justify going there for other reasons, typically to pick up something to eat on my way to a hotel. Otherwise its just too much of a pain. And lately the WM I hit that had the most reliable ATM now has one of those signs on it saying its out of order that feels like they're never going to take down. So its always cashiers. A CVS and no VRs would be very convenient given I have a CVS very close to where I live. The only issue really is that I need to pick up a card that bonuses drugstores since currently I don't have one, so its really only justifiable to hit spend on the latest AOR. Need to think about that for my next AOR, though I'm thinking the next one I need to wait on a while since I've been churning pretty hard lately, and Chase is getting harder.

5. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is that CC with a fee?

6. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can find out about Serve here:

https://www.serve.com/

In general its similar to BlueBird, but different. So in general the answer on fees is NO. AFAIK there is no fee to get one online ($2.95 retail), but it costs you $1/month unless you maintain a minimum balance of $500 or use direct deposit or add the Serve card to an Isis Mobile Wallet (VZ only?, Android only).

Correction: Looks like you CAN use it with iPhone, though the case you have to buy to add NFC costs $70. Seems unlikely this makes sense if its simply to avoid the $1/month fee.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  7. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Working the OM and INK for 5X VISA Promotion, and loading the SERVE with no fee.

Got 12,000 yesterday and 10.000 today still have a few more days to go looking for 50k extra this week,

Some on FT are having trouble with the beans...

8. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am wondering if there is a trick to getting the Serve registered with Isis to avoid the monthly fee on an iPhone. No way to register online that I can see. And launching the app just results in it looking for the case so that's a dead-end I think. Huh. I suppose you could buy a case from Verizon, load the app, do what's needed then return the case?

9. John Deere

John Deere Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why are you working so hard to avoid paying $12/year,when you're saving $ by not having to buy vr?

10. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cuz that's what we do?

Edit: If you're not following #milemadness you might not have noticed all the trouble people are going to in order to save $15 at OM.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
    murphbc likes this.
  11. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No one cares about the $15 savings, it is the 5X with INK they want, at least in my case it is.

It is all about the miles.

Don't think the phone app is worth the time.

Serve gives a $5.00 referral fee, even that is not worth it...

Get in get out....

John Deere likes this.
  12. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    5X with Ink? I understand right now there's that OM $15 off $250 deal but normally you're stuck paying $6.95 for a $200 debit card at OM. So in a month, you'd need to spend $173.75 for your $5,000. For which you'd earn 5X or 25,000 UR points. Worth ~$500. So you're doing pretty well, but jeez, you're spending a lot per month. In a year you'd max it out at $50,000 or 10 months. Spending $1,737.50. So pretty close to $2,000. For points you hope you'll use?

Not sure its worth it. For 5% cash back using Amex Blue Cash I can see the attraction. No cost. No gift cards, no nothing. Awesome. But OM at $200? I don't see it.

13. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would not pay for a GC, most of my spend us at OD for HIGC paying my bill at Lowes, in the Property Business, so most spend is real not MF.

The SERVE will pay a lot of property taxes, and even other expenses not payable with CCs. Including temp help.

I have built houses on CCs, old days United would limit us to10k a month for miles, times are easier now, and far more CCs.,

I have never paid for a GC, no change for HIGCs.

And you get 5X with INK. at OD,

Avenue of Revenue.., OPM sure is nice, Who says you can not run a business on a house if cards..

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    John Deere likes this.