3 Tips for Finding Rental Car Deals

Discussion in 'Other Car Rental Programs' started by sobore, Jan 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://travel.nytimes.com/2013/01/20/travel/3-tips-for-finding-rental-car-deals.html?_r=0

WITH airfares and hotel rates rising last year, it’s some consolation that prices for rental cars actually decreased on average, and are expected to remain about the same in 2013.

The average price of a car booked on Hotwire late last year was about $27 per day, down 3 percent compared with 2011. And while prices for rentals during the recent holiday season were higher — roughly $40 a day — that’s still 6 percent lower than a year earlier.

Despite more consolidation in the car rental industry — Hertz purchased Dollar and Thrifty last fall and the Avis Budget Group is buying Zipcar — consumers may not get hit with the higher prices that often accompany these deals. The trade publication Auto Rental News recently predicted “a ground war on rates” in 2013 as the major car rental companies compete with independent brands like Sixt and Advantage, especially for airport rentals.

Read More: http://travel.nytimes.com/2013/01/20/travel/3-tips-for-finding-rental-car-deals.html?_r=0

uggboy likes this.
  2. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    While this article gives some good advice -- it also leaves out some ways I often rent my cars at deep discounts...

Entertainment book coupons and if you rent from National, you can often get last minute good deals via their specials to go link on their web site.

Another trick I often use if I'm flying in late in the day and going home on a morning flight is to wait until the first morning I'm on the road to pick up my rental car and stay at a hotel with an airport shuttle.

It also doesn't mention renting cars off airport.

DTWBOB

sobore likes this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    $One of the very best ways to save cash on a rental car!