3 one way tickets = RTW?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by wanderlust1234, Aug 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. wanderlust1234

wanderlust1234 New Member

Status Points:
    Hi,
    I am a newbie here and trying to figure out how to best use my UA miles. I have 110K miles and no status with UA. I am trying to book three one way tickets, EWR-SFO-SYD, SYD-SIN-BLR, and BLR-FRA-EWR. United is letting me price these for 110K. Is this a valid itinerary ?

Thanks
    WL

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is pricing, as you noted, as an additive award of three one way tickets. No problem with that at all.

If you are not actually staying in FRA (which I'm pretty sure you aren't based on the rules and what you've listed) and if you can find a routing from BLR back across the Pacific rather than the Atlantic you might be able to get it to price as a round trip ticket with a stopover. That would save you some points.

merice107 likes this.
  3. wanderlust1234

wanderlust1234 New Member

Status Points:
    thanks for the quick response!
    I do not plan on stopping over in FRA. However, I do need to stop over in Sydney for a week.

4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think what Seth is saying is that It might be cheaper to do one rt with a stop over.

I might be wrong.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what I thought. So if you book EWR-SYD-BLR-EWR and cross the same ocean both ways there is a chance it will price out as just a round trip rather than three one-way tickets. The UA award engine is wacky that way. And an award to Australia has to be across the Pacific.

It is possible that India and Australia are far enough apart that it won't work, but it might.