3-letter airport code not accepted on united.com?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Mrs. Fredd, Feb 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Mrs. Fredd
    Original Member

Mrs. Fredd Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone else having difficulty using airport codes when using the booking / search function on .bomb? From time to time I get a red error message that I must use 3 letters (which I have). After much frustration I have found that it works if I type in the whole city name. Is this an IE problem, or a .bomb problem?

2. jupper
    Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds similar to my .bomb problem; in Opera I sometimes get the same error message, and see a little bit of HTML code in the error field, remove it and it suddenly works again... :(

3. qasr
    Original Member

qasr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, they "enhanced" the website and allowed you to only type city names. :rolleyes:

4. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's pretty terrible. It appears that airport codes are still accepted client side, but they need to be 'resolved' into full names before the form is submitted. Unfortunately, the client side script that resolves codes doesn't always kick off... depending on how fast you type and switch fields, the drop down with suggestions may or may not appear.

All in all, it's really lame. I understand the value of doing on the fly suggestions, but as far as requiring full names to be submitted, it's nonsense. The back end engine uses airport codes anyway.

UA has a real QA issue.

5. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmmmm.....3 letter codes have always and still work for me (and as little as 10 minutes ago) using Safari and Firefox. A silly question-have you check your settings in your profile where it references how to show airport names (3 letter code vs full names) when flights are dispalyed? I'm grasping at straws but if you have the "display full airport name" selected, maybe that's the reason? Like I said, grasping at straws but worth a shot. [​IMG]

6. Mrs. Fredd
    Original Member

Mrs. Fredd Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, my profile is set that way. It's an on-and-off thing. Sometimes works fine!

7. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've found that the three letter codes work -- but they need to be converted in order for this to happen. If the browser doesn't put a little blue box with the airport info under the place where you entered the three letter code, that code won't be accepted. On a slow internet connection this causes pr:(blems. It's VERY annoying.

wanderwoman likes this.
  8. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's even more fun is when the site doesn't convert an airport code to the full name, then returns you to the search form to correct it, and when you get there, you find that it's done something like copy the origin airport from its field to the destination airport field, resulting in something like a search for DCA-IAH turning into a DCA-DCA search.

Xyzzy likes this.
  9. kokonutz
    Original Member

kokonutz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, for some reason .bomb is reverting my 3 letter airport codes to just the first two letters unless I let it think for a second. Annoying.

10. pseudosphere
    Original Member

pseudosphere Silver Member

Status Points:
    This happens to me when I tab from the origin entry field to the destination entry field before letting the site pop-up the full name when I type in the airport code. Really obnoxious. What's worked for me is to wait a half-second after typing in the airport code so that the website enters in the full airport name before tabbing over, although it does kind of defeats the purpose of using the 3 letter code as a shortcut...

1K@ORD likes this.
  11. This happens to me all the time! Its extremely annoying that it tries to convert the code to a city but doesn't do it accurately. I find that the only way to make it work is to slow down my typing so the system processing can catch up to my real-time keystrokes.

12. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Obviously .bomb was designed for someone who types r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w-l-y. It clearly wasn't designed for those of us who (1) type really fast and (2) know the three letter airport codes for every destination UA serves and don't want to wait on the site to think before we move on to picking our flights.

13. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ran into this on a slow Internet connx today -- problem was in IE only, though. In FireFox it worked just fine.

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have the problem in FF all the time. Not browser-specific that I can tell.

15. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Really? I thought this was a united.com problem, not a continental.com problem. ;)

16. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometime in the last 1-2 weeks, .bomb became virtually unusable on my computer. Lots of stuff is unbearably slow. And I have been experiencing the 3-letter airport code problem. I'll have the airport codes in both origin and destination boxes but when I search for flights, I get a red error message that a 3 letter minimum is needed - when there are 3 letters in the boxes.
    It is not only a matter of speed - the auto suggest never turns on. The only solution appears to be to type in a full city name - and then if you hit search it comes back and wants you to confirm - which is pretty irritatign when you typed Denver or Seattle and it comes back with a single suggestion, and you have to waste time.
    I don't know what changed but it is substantially worse than it was 2 weeks ago.

17. I've had this crop up from time to time, but it seems work in Chromium. I've mostly taken to buying my UA flights off CO's website, simply because I'm not fighting the website the entire time I'm trying to do things.

18. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there any disadvantage as far as mileage crediting or bonuses or upgrades from buying on the CO website? Do I log in with a UA MP # or my CO OP #?

19. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is this greasemonkey script (with credit to the person who created it) which "seems to solve the problem" ;)

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/73089

20. You don't get offers to buy up to F or award accelerator for UA MP. If you use a CO OP number, I *think* you can get award accelerator + EQM, but no buy up to F if offered. If your logged in, you'll have to call reservations to switch to your United Mileage Plus number.

You can get the award accelerator once your ticketed and then pulling up the PNR on United.bomb and checking Travel Options, nor can you see the seat map or assign seats at time of booking on UA operating flights. When buying on CO, make sure the flight number is like Flight: UA7008, and not a CO number.

Mileage credits just fine at normal United rates, though sometimes it seems to lag a bit; as usual, keep your BPs until everything credits. Booking classes appear to be properly reflected from CO.com onto united.com. You'll have two reservatoin numbers; use the United one to manage upgrades and reservation, and the CO one to cancel/change flights (excluding SDC of course).

CO flights are listed first, followed by UA flights, look for something like this:
    Continental/United Flights with stops from $884

I've only done this a few times, so they might be other cavats that I haven't hit yet. As usual, YMMV, and you always have 24 hours to cancel the ticket if need be.

21. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 3 digit codes seems to be working properly for me this morning on .bomb. Perhaps UACO has fixed whatever problems they had.

22. wanderwoman
    Original Member

wanderwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    This has definately been annoying for me. I found that when you type it in caps it works almost all the time. That's great if you know the three digit code. When the full airport city name pops up, you have to click on it or it will not take the 3 digit code. As the previous poster noted, this may be resolved now..we can only hope.

23. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    When it was not working properly, it did not seem to matter whether it was lower case or upper case, and I think it is working right for both cases now.

24. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    THANK YOU -- I kept :)n thinking I'd typed wrong! Now I know it's not me!

25. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points: