3 French Guys Made A Titanium Airplane Seat That Could Save Airlines Millions Of Dollars

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by gregm, Apr 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Saving fuel is a key concern for airlines, and one of the main reasons United and other carriers have switched over to lighter seats on some aircraft.

Those seats, made by Germany's Recaro, have the extra advantage of being thinner than conventional options, so rows can be closer together and more paying passengers can be packed onboard.

Now, three young French guys have upped the ante with a seat that's nearly three times lighter than Recaro's.

Read the rest here: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/3-french-guys-made-titanium-211500451.html

2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    O.K., here's the "magic question" - what will the size of these seats be when they are placed in the aircraft? :rolleyes:

Flyer1976, uggboy and gregm like this.
  3. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Always difficult to believe a statement that contains such a glaring example of innumeracy as this. Does the author perhaps mean "a seat that weighs only one-third as much. . ."? Or is the difference between the weight of the new seat and the old seat three times as great as the difference between the Recaro seat and the old seat? And just what, in numbers, is the "lightness" of the Recaro seat?

Newscience and gregm like this.
  4. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    From what I can tell, they are along the lines of the current 'slim-line' seats. (You know, the ones as comfortable as a park bench!)

Flyer1976, uggboy and Newscience like this.
  5. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    All of the above, plus reducing the number of moving parts to ~30 makes them just plain lighter.

uggboy likes this.
  6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, gregm! Oh, the seats as comfortable as most airport gate-area seating, only with half the width... :confused:

uggboy and gregm like this.
  7. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I can't actually vouch for the comfort or lack of. You could, of course, ask, um, 'you know who'. He sat in the latest and greatest in Hamburg recently.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't remember seeing these at AIX last week, though they might've been there. I do know that the newest version of the Recaro is lighter than the 11kg numver mentioned in that story.

And the A350 in Hamburg had a different version of the Recaro on board.

9. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
  10. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't titanium a bit more expensive then any of the materials in a standard seat? Are the airlines planning to cram even more pax into the new seats to make up for their additional costs of lighter and tighter hard shelled seats that may save them millions of dollars in fuel costs anyway? And a permenant 18" recline where I'd lose the right to slam my seat hard backwards just when that goof behind me who's been opening and closing his tray incessantly is just starting his main course? Nah....not a good idea.

11. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't care how light and amazing the seat is, if the hinge at the bottom will let the seat swing a foot back every time someone sits in it, like some of the LH seats I've seen (inches away from my face), then it might as well be made of lead.

12. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    blackjack-21 likes this.