3 Chase Cards already... can I get another?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by nonstopski, Aug 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    Although the Southwest deal just passed, I was hoping to get another Chase card.. whether it's the Chase Hyatt or the Chase Southwest card. However, I already have the CSP, Freedom, and the BP Pump Rewards card (had this when the deals were actually good so it's my oldest card, so not getting rid of it!).

When can I, if at all, apply for another Chase card? Is there a time period wait? About 3 months ago I applied for the CSP, and got it after Chase moved around my credit lines (reducing the BP a lot , reducing the Freedom slightly, upping the CSP.) I've heard it can be tough to get a lot of Chase cards (although I suppose it's hard to get a lot of any one company's cards :D)

Kalboz, TravelBear and delff128 like this.
  2. delff128

delff128 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a data point I currently have the Sapphire Preferred, Freedom, United Explore, and Ink Plus from Chase.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

Kalboz and TravelBear like this.
  3. impsycho

impsycho Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have the CSP, Hyatt, Freedom and Ink. For the consumer cards, Chase reduced my credit limit on the Freedom when I received the Hyatt similar to what you experienced. I was thinking about also getting the Marriott but that might be pushing it.

Kalboz, TravelBear and delff128 like this.
  4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've got half a dozen Chase cards.

Wait 90 days minimum between apps.

And if you aren't approved, ring up Chase and ask them to reallocate some of your existing credit in order to approve the card.

5. chicago_matt

chicago_matt Member

Status Points:
    From past experience, Chase places an aggregate credit line for an individual. Assuming good credit standing the number of cards should not be an issue. The various card types and option to have [6+] cards is a "portfolio" strategy to keep you using their card.

Kalboz and TravelBear like this.
  6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    My DataPoint
    • Freedom // 2005
    • Southwest // 4.2012 [Canceled Move CL to CSP 4.2013]
    • CSP //4.2012 (applied 2wk after Southwest)
    • Ink Classic // 5.2012
    • UA // 8.2012
    • Hyatt // 3.2013 [Same day as IHG]
    • IHG // 3.2013 [Same day as Hyatt]
    Conclusion ... depends on your relationship w/Chase :)

Kalboz, rodeojones and delff128 like this.
  7. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have:

Freedom
    Sapphire Preferred
    Southwest
    United Explorer,

Ink Bold
    Southwest Business
    United Explorer Business

So 4 personal and 3 business cards. The only one I had any trouble getting was the Southwest Business Card, which I was initially refused for. Hang up, call back, second analyst approved easily.

Kalboz likes this.
  8. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is key. My wife and I have our mortgage and banking through Chase. I have four Chase cards and won't hesitate to pull the trigger on the BA card when it is time for the next AOR.

Kalboz and edekba like this.
  9. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Two in one day ... you are my hero! :) I have the United & Hyatt cards and now I am in the planning stages of my next AOR, which Chase card(s) do you think I should apply for?

edekba likes this.
  10. LauraPDX

LauraPDX Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have CSP, IHG, Hyatt, Marriott, UA Club (will cancel now that fee is due)
    Business: Bold and Plus(got 2 months ago with 60K bonus) , UA explorer (just got 50K business card this week)
    All cards applied for in last 2-3 years (initially denied for CSP and reapplied 6 months later with approval. Now know more about how to call recon lines than I did 2 years ago from this forum and all the blogs I read daily. Others approved first time, but some needed reallocation of credit lines).

Kalboz likes this.
  11. FrenchCaliFlyer

FrenchCaliFlyer New Member

Status Points:
    Have Amazon, Freedom, United Explorer, Ritz (last 2 I got recently and the Ritz one didn't get immediately approved and started with a crappy 8.5k credit line - I moved credit from the first 2)
    I would like to get the Sapphire Preferred (to move the UR I accumulated on the freedom to miles) and maybe the Hyatt (for platinum/mlife status - though I'm considering with the gold from marriott to get a challenge match) but not sure if that'd be pushing it...

Espan and Kalboz like this.
  12. othermike27

othermike27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1

Have a Chase UA MP/Select card that I've held for several years, and applied for the CSP in May this year, which I got immediate approval on and at a credit limit almost as big as the MP card. Then I applied earlier this month for the Chase Hyatt card, got immediate approval but at only $5K. So, I think I bumped up against the aggregate limit.

Similar experience with AMEX when I applied for 2 AMEX cards within 3-4 months of each other: I got the second card, but they reduced the credit line on the first one to open the second. The good news is that after you build some history, you can go back and request a limit increase on one card, successfully raising the aggregate limit they'll extend. I'll bet this works for Chase too.

BTW, since I saw conflicting blog info on the recommended minimum waiting interval between applications with Chase, I just emailed Chase and asked them whether there was a minimum. They said no, depends on your personal circumstances, and gave me a phone number to call if I wanted more info. The number was not for a reconsideration line, but appeared to be for a "credit analyst." I didn't call, just did the online app on the same day with AMEX SPG and Citi HHonors VISA. Results: Chase - immediate approval with a hard pull, AMEX approval via email 2 hours after online submission, and Citi wanted me to call them.

13. norge
    Original Member

norge Silver Member

Status Points:
    The most I had at one time was 6--4 personal & 2 business.
    * The amount of time to wait between apps. varies by person.
    * You can apply for 2 cards the same day but you may get denied for 1 and then you'll have to call consideration line.

14. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't you know who I am? ;)

Sorry Gary, could not resist.

15. Sagegal

Sagegal Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have six and I really had to sway Chase on my last churn explaining my different uses for each. They were hesitant but when I proved the longevity of some and the need for the newer co-branded cards they approved. I won't try for a 7th.

16. Jazz870

Jazz870 New Member

Status Points:
    Not hard at all I currently have 13 cards with chase.

17. Jazz870

Jazz870 New Member

Status Points:
    All personal credit cards and this is all within a 5 month span the only cards I don't have is the Marriott visa signature, and the intercontinental and Southwest Airlines so I am sure I will get those to

18. Jazz870

Jazz870 New Member

Status Points:
    All depends on your income if you only make around $45,000 of course your not ganna get approved for a lot of cards

19. Jazz870

Jazz870 New Member

Status Points:
    Keep trying there is no limit you can have I just proved that wrong

20. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have 2 biz and 4 personal cards total of 90k available credit + Ink Bold (no set limit).

Outside of that I have zero relationship with Chase, not a single non-card account.

21. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have 12 active Chase Cards at the moment, my wife has 9, they did move my limit on the last UA Card,

In 3 months I will apply for another card or 2.

I do have a Business Checking, and have CC at other banks and Amex,

They have not turned me down yet.

I would never worry about a lower limit, it can be raised if needed,

My old NW now Flex is 35k and I will never use it for that much

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014