3% cashback for Hyatt using amex Open

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by estnet, Apr 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I inadvertently discovered this when using an Amex card to qualify for a 50k membership bonus. Bought some certs and found a happy surprise of a 3% credit on my statement :)

tigerwong likes this.
  2. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Was this a business AMEX or a personal AMEX - I thought that this Open discount only applied to businesses.

3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes it was a business card. Didn't realize it mattered - thanks for pointing this out.

4. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you use a business Costco card, you get the 3% OPEN discount, then still get the 2% cash back for travel from the remainder. It's what I do now (or did until I got the Hyatt VISA) that all of my Costco certificates are used up. :(

LIH Prem and tigerwong like this.
  5. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I spent more at Hyatt I might have to get the costco card :) This doesn't happen to be true for Starwood does it? I have some Hyatt certs - but since most of my stays are out of the US don't know when I'll use them up b/c the poor exchange rates almost negates the 20% discount.

6. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would check that each time. (the exchange rate). Sometimes, it's very good -- sometimes awful. Just ask the front desk at checkout what rate they are using. IIRC, I used them at PH Paris Place Vendôme in March 2010. They were offering a surprisingly fair rate.

7. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    yes - I do that. Had a fair rate in Thailand at Hua Hin and an extortionate rate at Hyatt Bangkok (within days of each other)

8. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The key here is the card has to be a BUSINESS one and not a personal one - not sure if it has to be not affiliated with some other rewards program other than AMEX MR.

9. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you look at your AmEx statment online (at least if it looks like mine) the business one that is affiliated with the OPEN program has OPEN in big logo letters. There are other places it offers discounts, too. FedEx Kinkos is one I think I recall.