3/22, ORD @ 1PM: The World's First Airport Author Reading & Signing

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Greg Lindsay, Mar 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Hi everyone,

Tomorrow (3/22) at 1 PM, I'll be reading from my book "Aerotropolis: The Way We'll Live Next," at the Vosges Chocolate boutique in ORD T3 Concourse H/K. As far as I know, it will be the first time an airport store of any kind has hosted a book reading by the author.

"Aerotropolis" explores how air travel and transportation are largely responsible for the shape and scope – and winners and losers – of globalization. It also examines how cities such as Hong Kong, Dallas, Detroit and Dubai are changing (or being built anew) to reflect the interests of corporations that effectively scattered pieces of themselves across the world, relying on the Internet and Airbus planes to tie themselves together.

What do the critics say? Time magazine calls it one of "10 ideas that will change the world." Bloomberg BusinessWeek says it's "a fascinating and important work." The Wall Street Journal: "undoubtedly right." And there's more praise from The New York Times, The Financial Times, and The Independent, which was so nice I'm going to reprint it here: "Greg Lindsay has thoroughly investigated the key aerotropoli and the corporate and city players involved with them. His writing is clear and assiduously detailed, and his chapters on China are particularly thought-provoking. This book will become required reading for economists, business studies students, architects, urban planners, sociologists – and more than a few novelists and essayists.”

So please join me at 1 PM tomorrow if you happen to be passing through. (Other, non-airport book events are here:http://www.greglindsay.org/blog/category/events/)

I'm an infrequenter poster, but Star Mega DOers will remember my story about the trip for Condé Nast Traveler last year: http://www.concierge.com/cntraveler/articles/502250

Best to all,

Greg Lindsay