3,000 miles away from Gold Medallion

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Tulane32, Nov 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Any advice (other than a East/West coast trip) to get to Gold Medallion needing an additional 3,000 miles? Thanks!

rwoman likes this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tulane32,

Welcome to MP. Where are you based?

This late in the year, flying is probably your best bet. Even if you did not fly a transcon, you could fly a flights with 3 segments in each direction (i.e. RDU-ATL-HSV and return) and get 500 miles/segment, even if the flights are shorter to hit your 3k.

AMEX offers are an option, but hitting the spend could be an issue. You could take advantage of the SkyClub membership holiday offer - 1,500 MQM - MP Thread; Delta Offer

Good luck!

robin

3. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would have thought that applying for a Delta credit card was an option. Miles on the first purchase would include some MQMs. (e.g. 5000 MQMs for DL platinum) Though it being this late in the year, it would be cutting it close to make through the application process, make first purchase, and receive the first statement.

However, it is cheaper than flying. :)

tin509, DeltaExpert and rwoman like this.
  4. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was thinking about this as well. You'd really be pushing it to try and get the miles before Dec 31st at this point. Your miles might not post until just after Jan 1st. My miles usually post around the 7th every month (when my bill closes out). Assuming it's the same for everyone then the miles you earned might not post until Jan 7th. I'm not sure how the MQM bonus miles work though unfortunately.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  5. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    Go to Farecompare Flyertalk fares for good MR deals calculated out for you.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  6. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes.

Buckle up for NRT and take it. Do it now.

7. FrequentMiler

FrequentMiler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll second the Delta Platinum credit card recommendation. My wife applied for this card (business version since she already had the personal one) in the beginning of November and her account was credited with 5000 MQMs 2 weeks later.

8. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    DL is also selling MQMs right now, that might be an option. As an alternative, I'd suggest you look to build a cheap route. For example, right now for the weekend of Dec 9 LAX-HNL is pricing at 339 USD on DL's site. That'd be more than enough to get you the status plus rollover miles for next year.

Sweet Willie and DeltaExpert like this.
  9. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    six segments would get you there -- we've done things like FNT-DTW-MEM-xxx where xxx is somewhere with decent weather (for this time of year) and spent a day or two, then come back.

You're getting pretty close to the end of the year to find decent fares though -- another alternative would be just to break down and buy the MQMs.

Bob H

10. If you do that you get gold with not many benefits, save it for next year roll over the 21,000 miles and you get there faster next year

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it depends on the OP's travel plans for next year and beyond. If he stops and goes for rollover of 22,000 MQMs, he still won't be GM until he does 28,000 more miles on DL and SkyTeam. This could even make PM possible next year. The cost is still being FO during the first part of next year.

The OP should start by calculating EXACTLY how many MQMs he needs, the round number is suspicious and mkes it hard to help him, even if we knew where he is. I would be nervous about getting AmEx miles in time for this year, so the choices are either to buy miles or to fly. In either case, he could still strategize to maximize rollover, for instance by purchasing the maximum ten thousand miles or by flying a long MR such as TPAC. A weekend in Tokyo can be nice at this time of year.

12. traveller99

traveller99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great advice!