2x miles on some chase purchases (A mailed card came for my CO MC)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by marathon man, Feb 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. marathon man
    Original Member

marathon man Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have received these from Chase before--maybe others here have received them as well... this one says 2x miles for certain purchases/locations.

I OCRd the entire inside of the card and the copy is below. If you read through it you may have the same questions I have.

One is:

Can I go to Borders or CVS and find that the giftcard rack happens to include $500 storebought visa gift cards and just buy a boat load of those, earn double miles on doing so,AND cash them out at the mint?

Maybe the fees to buy such store-bought GCs make it not a great idea but this kind of thing could be useful in some ways somehow maybe sorta kinda right?

Anyway, here's the copy. Go through it and see what you think about that and ideas like it:

YOU'RE ENROLLED - NOW MAKE YOUR DREAM VACATION A REALITY

Make your purchases more rewarding with 2X miles. Use your OnePass° Plus Card, and you'll earn 2 miles per 1 on all of your eligible retail, entertainment and dining purchases made from January 20, 2011 through March 20, 2011.'

Here's how it works:
    • Step 1 - Use your OnePass Plus Card and earn 2X miles on retail, entertainment and dining purchases.

• Step 2 - Your bonus miles will be automatically deposited into your OnePass® account.

• Step 3 - Redeem miles for flights, hotels, car rentals and much more.

This is another valuable opportunity to get more out of your OnePass Plus Card membership. So consolidate your spending onto your Card, and you'll be traveling before you know it.

' This bonus offer only applies to net purchases made with your credit card during the promotional period at merchants that classify their merchant location for MasterCard in any of the following categories, bookstores, clothing stores (including shoe, accessory, and specialty apparel stores), convenience stores, department stores, dining establishments (excluding fast food/quick service restaurants), movie theaters, video rental stores. Theatrical stage productions, concerts, shows, contract entertainers (including comedians, magicians, and DJs), and their supporting services (including ticket, booking. and casting agencies and equipment services). Purchases not eligible to receive bonus rewards include, but are not limited to, purchases made at superstores, warehouse clubs, discount stores, and their affiliates, Online and catalog purchases are not eligible to receive the bonus rewards unless the merchants have correctly identified and billed the transactions. We do not determine whether merchants correctly identify and bill transactions as being made in each category. However, we do reserve the right to determine which purchases qualify for the bonus rewards. Please allow 6 to 8 weeks after the last day of each month of the promotional period for bonus rewards to post to your account. There is no maximum bonus reward accumulation for this promotional offer, Bonus rewards earned from this promotional offer will not count against any maximum reward accumulation in the rewards program, if applicable. Credit card product changes during the promotional period will forfeit this bonus offer. To qualify for this promotional offer, account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment. This promotional offer is non-transferable.

Chase and aitchly like this.
  2. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll keep my eyes open and not toss out the mailers from Chase.

cockpitvisit and travelingmore like this.
  3. Chase
    Original Member

Chase Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the heads-up. I was thinking of trying this with my MR Gold at a grocery store, this could be a great deal too.

travelingmore likes this.
  4. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    But on a completely unrelated thread jacking note, how was machu picchu? (I have an upcoming trip there.)

cockpitvisit likes this.
  5. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a similar question: If I buy and Arco gift card at CVS during the period my Chase Freedom has 5% at grocery and drug (right now), does Chase make the gift card purchases ineligible for the 5%, or do I thereby end up with an effective 5% back on Arco gas? Folks have mentioned the wisdom of doing this, but wouldn't it be easy for the drugstore or grocery computers to code gift cards in such a way that they wouldn't really count?

6. marathon man
    Original Member

marathon man Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was not going to call Chase and ask about GCs but since they don't say they won't work, one could always BUY and then later show them their own ad and ask about the double miles. That is what I think I am going to do if I get any GCs at the stores that count.

7. Chase
    Original Member

Chase Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, that is not my picture unfortunately. That's on my list of places to visit in the next year or two, just have to find the time!

I know someone that did the entire 4-day Inca Trail up there. Hope you're conditioned if you plan on doing it!

aitchly likes this.
  8. cmj542
    Original Member

cmj542 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not 100% sure, but most of those Visa gift cards have a $4.95 activation fee, so it might not be worth it. That's just in my experience though.

9. tassojunior
    Original Member

tassojunior Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got this promo too but it's value is limited.

What I'm after is the offer a couple people have teased about for 2X miles after $2K spend. Oh yes.