2P's now have access to exit rows at booking

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sunseeker, Jul 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    New policy:
    Exit row seating

* MileagePlus members with 1K®, Premier Executive®, Premier® or Global ServicesSM status may select exit row seats, if available, at no extra charge when purchasing tickets, by logging in to My Reservations or when checking in for a flight.
    * Customers who do not hold 1K, Premier Executive, Premier or Global Services status may purchase exit row seating, if available, when purchasing tickets, by logging in to My Reservations or when checking in for a flight.

More democratization across the elite spectrum. :rolleyes:

cordray2643 likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not happy. At. All. :mad:

JLSocks, sunseeker and adambadam like this.
  3. cordray2643
    Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There goes my ERJ-145 11A! I only book my flights 2 weeks out and visit alot of regional airports, so seat 11A on the E145 is one of my perks, but that may be going away. Ouch!!!

4. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    11A is nothing special. Go right ahead and book it. That way the really good seat, 12A, stays open for me. :D

cordray2643 likes this.
  5. cordray2643
    Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

Status Points:
    11A is the exit row single side seat on the E145. 12A has half as much legroom.

My apologies, I am wrong it is 12A, I am just not having a good day! Flew a CRJ-200 this evening and still can't stand straight up!

6. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish they would let one week go by without a devaluation to 1K or a downgrade to F!

JLSocks likes this.
  7. unityofsaints

unityofsaints Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tip!

Was able to snag some exit rows on an upcoming MR. Unfortuantely there's still some inconsistently here, as I'm able to get E+ and now exit rows on my United Premier a/c (linked from CO) but my CO Silver only gives me "preferred seating" and exit rows 24hrs out - I guess this will all sort itself out when OnePass disappears at the end of the year :)

8. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think they should open it up to 2Ps at 24-hours via OLCI though I agree with most other posters that this takes a very nice insurance policy away from 1P and up to not having to sit in E- or a E+ middle.

kwai likes this.
  9. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's all right.

Yeah, I'm 6'5" and I've seen the inside of an ERJ a few hundred times, including some flights that were over 1,000 miles in length. I know my row 12. :)

10. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've tried to be pretty fair and balanced about the changes to elite benefits, but this one really irks me. This change sucks.

Row 45 on a 747 will go fast, which was where I always preferred to be on a non-upgradable fare.

JLSocks likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's not only 2Ps that get access to the exit row at booking. Anyone can buy it. On many domestic flights I am about just as happy in the exit row as in F, and as an occasional traveler (or elite of another airline who happens to be on UA) I'd definitely consider the extra cost of buying exit row... which of course means that 1P/1K get shafted.

12. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    They already allowed that, but it was not well-known. I can see maybe giving 2Ps 48 hours instead of 24, but that would probably be too confusing. 2Ps should be happy they get E+, so there's no reason to give them exit rows, too.

My guess is this has to do with the integration of CO's fleet, which don't have E+, and it would make 2Ps unhappy to be stuck on a CO plane with no E+. Some people say, "CO does have E+, it's called extended leg room," but that's just another name for exit rows and the bulkhead. 2-3 rows of ELR does not an E+ make.

13. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    The fact that anyone can buy the exit row has been true for a long time now. Yet, on nearly every one of my flights the exit row is mostly empty, even just a few days before the flight. I don't think many non-elites are buying the exit row seats well in advance. I've seen some obvious buy-ups happening during the check-in window 24 hours before the flight, but even on elite-heavy hub-hub flights or key business markets where there is a lot of weekday elite traffic I see a lot of open exit row seats.

The reality is there are a lot of elites that don't really care about the extra leg room, and a lot of non-elites that either don't know or don't care enough to pay for it in advance.

14. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    And at least on the legacy CO side, paying for it is usually f'ing expensive. Like $69-$89 for a mid-con.

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    On PMUA flights?

16. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was referring to CO operated flights. But it's not that different from UA flights that anyone could buy E+ on, yet most non-elites don't. (And, yes, I know that UA flights have far more E+ seats than CO has ELR seats.)

17. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    They allowed it though only if you went though an agent. I don't think you could every do it yourself.

I could actually see the second paragraph being the main reasoning behind this. My brother who is only a 2P this year was complaining about how he could not get assigned any "E+" as he put it on a CO flight the other day. It was in fact trying to make him buy up whenever he looked at the reservation. It worked out in the end as they put him in the exit row at the airport.

18. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure what you mean by using an agent. My gf is a 2P, and when she flies alone on CO without the benefit of my status, she's always been able to move herself to an open exit row seat during OLCI.

This is the problem with CO's E+ claims. They don't have E+. Instead, they block out the front half of the economy cabin for all elites, including 2P/Silver. Within this blocked out space are 2-3 rows of extended leg room seats (ELR) which are usually the mid-body exit rows and the bulkhead seats. These ELR seats are restricted to 1P/Gold and above at the time of booking or others for a charge, but anyone can move into them for free during OLCI. So your brother was offerred a ELR seat for a fee just like any non-elite because he was only 2P. The rest of the so-called E+ section (and in fairness they don't call it that) is not actually E+ because there is no extra leg room. It's just a dedicated part of the cabin, so in fact there are very few seats with extra leg room on CO vs. a UA craft.

19. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    The way to make this work out fairly for those with status would also be to coordinate this seat selection with the upgrade cycle. This way, those higher level elites who get upgraded would then be cleared from their coach seats which would then be open to the next lower level status to select.

However, from the airline's perspective, this would take a lot for UA/CO to enable not to mention somewhat annoying for 2P's and 1P's. In addition, they will always have to make the paid upgrades for economy plus available for purchase because the whole idea behind the free upgrades is that it doesn't take away from revenue that could be earned by the airline. I think this is the same with hotels in giving free upgrades or allowing us to use upgrade certificates.

Scottrick likes this.
  20. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ugh. As a 1P, this blows. Why even bother to make 1P? We still get shafted on a ton of fees and 2Ps are jacking our exit rows now. Lame lame lame.

21. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    More CO crap.. Herding everyone together in a wonderful, happy world were everyone is equal. (wait a minute, that idea failed, didn't it?)

I sincerely hope they keep the by far most (only) useful perk that CO Platinum offers: Confirmed change within 24 hours!

You can bet that they won't.. :rolleyes

22. unityofsaints

unityofsaints Active Member

Status Points:
    *G

23. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a 1K it's even worse. Everything has turned against a 1K they might as well just get rid of the categorization. this is really getting ridiculous.

24. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    (Bolding mine)
    This 2P resents that elitist remark in a world of elites ! :(

25. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I am seriously considering dropping down to 1P. Probably not for next year as I am too close to 1K, but beyond 2012. My "natural" EQM level is somewhere around 60-80k EQM, so it's often a bit of stretch to reach 1K (I don't want to do pure MRs for more than a few thousand miles). Might be time to burn more miles instead of using SWUs that get harder to use anyway.

kwai likes this.