2nd PBI trip for 2011: BOS-ATL-PBI (same return), nearly missed connection, much more!

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by N670DN, Jun 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to my 3rd TR of the year, the 2nd one for South Florida in 2011, and my personal first on MP!

Thank you for clicking on my thread and I hope you enjoy it!

See all of my photos on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53718050@N07/

NYBanker likes this.
  2. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    DL891 BOS-ATL

757-251 (75N) – N502US

Seat: 18F

Gate: A17

Scheduled Departure: 6:42pm, Actual: 7:00pm
    To save money from parking at the airport, my mom wanted to park her car at her work parking lot near South Station in Boston and take the T to the airport. The parking lot is not owned by her company but is next door, so she technically could park there. She dropped me off at South Station with the bags while she parked the car and walked over. We took the silver line since it was most direct to the airport. I truly must say I’m not a fan of that whole system; it’s just a bus not a train. But it saves money compared to airport parking.

We left early just for the fun of it. Factoring in 20 minutes wasted for my mom to drop the car off and get over to south station, the silver line, etc. We got to the airport around 3:40pm, and walked up to the departures level to see the longest security line I have ever seen. The general line was around the flight info monitors and around the AS/CO ticket counters. Mom got in line while I went to a kiosk to print out BPs since I was doing mobile BPs on my iPod. The machine printed out the BOS-ATL BP regularly, but when printing the ATL-PBI BP, it just spit it out blank. No ink on it whatsoever, except for the back. I had to re-do the check-in to get the other BP. After I waited in the long TSA line, I found out that the machine for mobile BPs was not working. Good thing I had paper BPs.

After going through, I got my Wendy’s and went out to the triangle area of the satellite terminal. At A17 at that time was a 752 getting ready to go to SLC. After eating, I went to the gate to see what else was going on. A 738 pulled into A16 coming from and turning around to MSP. N816NW was the beastly A333 going out of A14 to AMS. A13 had the CDG flight. The other side had the flight to LHR out of A19, which by the way was another appearance for the SkyTeam 764. Also, flights to DTW, CVG, and a couple of regionals. The ancient 757 that pulled up to the gate today was N502US, a 26.2 year old.

I’ll say that not all BOS GA’s are good. This was the worst experience I have ever had with them really. There were 4 GAs working this flight. There was an announcement about strollers, getting bags checked for free, etc. and there was this guy in line with a stroller and the GA pointed him out and the guy was going along with it, raising his arms like he was famous, which made me laugh. The gate lice member of the flight was already in position and holding right outside the SP lane. However, the GAs did not start boarding until 6:25ish. Don’t know why this happened, but it did. When presenting my mobile BP, the GA told me to hold it up just the way it was (with the top facing the GA) and it scanned. While this flight was late, one of the GAs was talking to the group of passengers in row 13 that had a service dog that was the size of an average 80 pound dog. We didn’t push until about 7pm. We taxied out to 22R to wait a long time with such aircraft as N845MH – again to LHR, BA 744 to LHR, and others. However, a B6 A320 went out to 22L (I take it a heavy flight to SFO or something?) but eventually we got going around 7:30. It was a pretty standard flight to ATL, other than it being late. There was a bit of turbulence but nothing out of the ordinary. We were doing some S-turns on our final. We ended up landing on 26R in ATL and the gate changed during the flight. We got changed to arriving in B12 and departing out of A9. B12 was still occupied when we got there, and waited for the gate to clear out (but the captain did say they were actively looking for another gate.) I’ve been down B12 before for a flight to BOS. There was not a lot of time before the connecting flight to PBI. We were scheduled to arrive at 9:34 but we ended up arriving at 10:08.

violist likes this.
  3. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    DL1229 ATL-PBI
    757-232 (752) – N616DL
    Seat: Originally 21F, got 44A
    Gate: A7
    Scheduled departure: 10:24pm, Actual: 10:23pm

I was speedwalking thinking that if we missed the connection, it would be solely DL’s fault. The BOS GA’s are the sole reason for the flight leaving late with no weather delays, and the gate being occupied was their fault also. My mom decided to run the whole thing excluding the tram. I found out that running with baggage in tow is really not fun to do. I did run a bit but got tired, essentially because I was a bit out of energy since it was 10pm. We got to A7 to see 2 guys just about to walk down the jetway, and the GA looked at our BPs and pulled the 2 guys about to walk down, and gave us their mini-BPs. After we begin to go down the jetway, the GA closes the door for the flight. We then walk down the jetway to see the LFA on the phone saying “…and now we just got 2 more.” We step onto the aircraft to wait by the boarding door for a while, and the LFA, FA2, and the GA were sorting things out. Eventually I ended up in 44A.

The flight pushed a minute early to get going to PBI. We taxied out to 27R for takeoff. Not too long of a wait considering that it was late. Once we got up to higher altitudes, the FAs started doing the typical beverage service. I was listening to my iPod when FA2 asked if I wanted something to drink. I thought for a second that he was asking me before starting the normal routine since I dealt with a lot before that flight. However, it didn’t hit me until after that we were on an odd numbered flight, and that crew believes in FEBO. Other than that it was a normal flight and we were taking the same path when I did ATL-PBI in February: going over the TPA area and heading east from there. There was a bit of fuel burning as we were on final. We landed on 10L, but touched down a bit later (very hard on the reversers.) We were on the ground at 11:58 and at the gate a minute or two after midnight. By the time I was off the aircraft it was 10 minutes after parking.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  4. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stay in Florida

After getting to the Rental Car Center, it was another big deal for my mom with car insurance. Whenever I have been there for a personal rental, she has made some lengthy deal over the insurance.

Monday

Once I got to the beach, I called DL. I explained it all to the agent and got my $100 voucher as expected. I was satisfied with the voucher (now I just gotta put it to use)

Lunch was at “The Office” in Delray Beach (note I added order accuracy to my restaurant reviews):

Wait: 8/10 – Not too crowded (about 50%) and not too long of a wait either

Food: 38/40 – Good food, the shoestring fries were different

Order Accuracy: 7/10 – gave me a medium burger by mistake and forgot the cheese

Beverages: 15/15 – Fantastic

Store appearance: 10/10 – Loved the Office theme, categorized wines based on office positions

Selection: 12/15 – Pretty good, had it all organized

Employees: 5/10 – They were alright

Portion size: 10/10 – Good

Value: 9/10 – Tiny bit overpriced but worth it

Bonus: 4 – interesting restaurant

TOTAL: 118/130 = 91% - nice place I must say

Tuesday + Wednesday

This was the day to head down to Fort Lauderdale. My aunt, uncle, and cousin were staying at the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel. They were there for a week and a half and they somehow got an ocean-view room (IIRC because their original room was still being cleaned when they wanted to check in.) It was a very nice hotel I must say, right on the beach with a pool too. The hotel itself was a small premise but had many people outside enjoying the day. To the south you could constantly see aircraft drilling it out of FLL’s 9.

Wednesday was a different day, as the family staying in FLL came up north for the day. My aunt and uncle were looking at vacation properties in that area (including one that was less than a football field away from my grandparent’s home.)

Thursday – Miami

Before this day I had never really explored the city of Miami (had been to the Seaquarium on my previous trip in February.) After getting down there and getting the car parked it was already lunch time.

Jerry’s Famous Deli – Miami beach

Wait: 9/10 – Very fast-paced restaurant

Food: 38/40 – Great cheeseburger

Order Accuracy: 10/10

Beverages: 15/15 – Fantastic selection

Store appearance: 8/10 – The bathrooms up the stairs were a bit annoying

Selection: 15/15 – So many items on the menu

Employees: 10/10 – Good people

Portion size: 10/10 – Good

Value: 9/10 – Good meal and nice place

Bonus: 5 – worthy of it

TOTAL: 129/130 = 99% - Would come back again

After lunch we were walking around, went on the beach quickly, looking in stores, and then went back to the car. We stopped back at the Sheraton in Fort Lauderdale for some more relaxing/swimming. I got some KFC for the ride back even more north and that wrapped up the day.

Friday

I got on the anciently slow computer to do OLCI and get the BPs as my mom persisted. It appeared that my mom got upgraded for both flights the night before as a FO. I was really happy about that and opted to take the first flight as the FC seat (PMDL a/c, better selection of seats, etc.) After that, the first thing for today was a tour of Lynn University. This tour was planned the day before and I wanted to tour it. The campus was just 15 minutes away in Boca, and I was impressed with it. It wasn’t a large campus (kind of a good thing) but it was nice. Their admissions office was able to bring a student from the aviation management program I am going to do to meet with me. I got some questions answered and was impressed with the aviation management program they have. After that we went back and went to the pool for the last time. My grandpa is a very religious guy and it being Good Friday he wanted to go see a re-enactment at the church. We were there for 2 hours and just gave up on it and went to Boston Market for dinner. Then it was time to pack and get ready to go home…

5. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    DL2341 PBI-ATL

757-232 (752) – N679DA

Seat: 5D

Gate: C2

Scheduled departure: 5:55am, Actual: 6:03am

I was essentially up at 3:30am for the trip home. All systems were a go for the trip and we were gone by 3:55ish. We were at the Thrifty returns by 4:15 and off the rental bus by 4:25. We got into the TSA line shortly after. It was to my surprise that TSA didn’t open until 4:30, because I thought it would open at 4. We got in shortly after and my mom got some Starbucks and decided to complain that she could have slept for 30 more minutes. Issue with that is the condition (highway traffic, TSA line, etc.) of everything likely wouldn’t have been the same. The A320 at C1 working the 8am to DTW was barely visible from the gate area.

They were selling upgrades at the gate for $75 for the typical K or higher fare. Anyway we went with SP boarding due to my mom’s FC seat. The famous GA that I’ve seen at PBI for many years was helping work this flight and scanned the BPs and asked how old I was when my exit row BP was scanned. I took 5D quickly and got settled in as the LFA took my apple juice pre-flight drink order. The LFA was nice but her voice was a bit raspy and sometimes hard to hear her. It was about 6am when the captain came on the intercom and said “Good morning…I’m sure you’re looking at your watch as we are looking at ours too…we’re on the phone right now with Atlanta maintenance. We don’t have a maintenance issue; we just have a quick question from something written down on a log book. We should have it resolved shortly and be on our way and should make up the time in the air.” We left at 6:03 and got going. It was another 10L takeoff for me as the sun was just starting to come up. It was a great view that should’ve had its picture taken.

The LFA came on soon after takeoff to announce that the aircraft doesn’t have any water in it so there would be no coffee. I originally thought she meant drinking water (which threw me off due to the Dasani next to me.) As I eventually found out in the lavatory there was no water to wash my hands with. The FAs put a lot of mini-Dasani bottles like the ones given out in FC in there to use. One of the FAs looked like my Spanish teacher, who kept on visiting the LFA. But during the snack basket run, I took some cheddar Sun Chips and a Reese’s PBC as well. This was my first time in FC since August of 2008 (CVG-ANC) so it was nice to have the PBC in there. Other than that it was a pretty typical flight, and it was noticeably quiet considering it was a 5:55am departure. It was a quick approach into ATL and we landed on 9R. It was a very odd day in ATL as it was cloudy and dingy. We pulled into A9 a minute ahead at 7:44am.

6. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    Connection in ATL

Quick de-boarding in ATL and I was on the tram heading to Concourse B. I got in the line for Dunkin Donuts in the centerpoint. 5 minute wait or so, and then I got to order. They were out of something related to coolattas, so I got a hot chocolate instead (they charged me for a small but I got a medium, so that pays for no coolata.) After that, I went over to the gate for the flight back home.

7. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    DL1700 ATL-BOS

757-251 (75N) N534US

Seat: 16F

Gate: B21

Scheduled/Actual (on-time) departure: 8:41am

Another boarding with the SP lane and I was quickly at 16F. I watched so many other people board as I sipped away at my hot chocolate. There was an announcement as there were 3 regular FAs along as 3 trainees. The FA at 2L was asking the people across at 16ABC and the person at 15D if they were ok being in the exit row. They were all set and we got going. She was showing the 2L trainee a lot as it was apparently their first flight together. The trainee was a nice guy, not in a FA uniform at all but still looked professional. Before we departed however, she asked the guy in 17E if he wanted to move up as it was free. He did, and it would’ve been empty otherwise. It didn’t need to happen simply because there was a seat for him but you don’t need to sit next to somebody if you don’t need to. As we were taxiing out to 9L there were so many mad dogs (at least 3) that were turning into the Concourse T/A sector. We eventually took off from 9L to BOS.

Other than that it was a really normal flight. I fell asleep for a quick nap and woke up 15 minutes later. Snack and beverage was normal, except for the 2L FA (the trainee was working the opposite side of their cart) mixing up who has what with drinks. That particular FA spoke Spanish and was helpful to the elderly woman in 17D who was Hispanic and needed assistance going to the lavatory. I did get up to go to the lavatory once, and instead of bothering now-16D I slid by 2R and got into the aisle through 15DE since they had the extra legroom. I was a bit worried about accidentally hitting the door but it wouldn’t have happened anyway. The 2L FA and the trainee were talking with a passenger about their upcoming schedules as the FA said their work for the weekend (Sat-Mon) was ATL-BOS-ATL-TPA-ATL-TPA that day, TPA-ATL-JAX-ATL-JAX-ATL-TPA the next, and TPA-ATL-BOS-ATL-JAX-ATL-TPA or something like that the day after. We took the 22L vector into BOS and pulled into A16 at 11:09am (sched. 11:25am = 16 min early). The FA made sure FC disembarked first and that wrapped the trip up.

8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    You really put a lot of effort into this. Nice work.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  9. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why did the machine for mobile BPs wait in the long TSA line? Where was it going?

JBa and DeltaExpert like this.
  10. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you!
    Quit being an impatient old man please................................:rolleyes:

DeltaExpert likes this.
  11. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    What was the $100 ecert. for?

ryandc99 likes this.
  12. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    GAs in BOS, late arrival in ATL, seats given away on ATL-PBI flight