2nd App-O-Rama - Help Needed!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Jsm1985, Jan 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Jsm1985

Jsm1985 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am getting ready for my 2nd app-o-rama and I could use any and all help!

Here is a run down of my rewards cards I have - all personal cards so far:

Gold Delta Skymiles Amex
    Amex SPG
    Citi AA Amex
    US Airways Premier Mastercard
    Chase Sapphire Preferred
    Chase United Mileage Plus Explore Card

When I applied for my Citi AA Amex, I tried the 2-browser trick with the Citi AA Visa, but that one was denied. Reconsideration told me to reapply in 180 days, which was about 120 days ago.

I would like to get 4-5 cards this time around. I would like to eventually load up on Hilton points, but I could easily put that off for the next round. My question for you all - what would you recommend? I would like to get the cards that have the best current deals, knowing that I am in this for the long run. I'm not too worried about the spending requirement b/c I could use the BlueBird trick.

The one card I really want is the Chase Ink Bold or Plus (one of them), although I have never applied for a business card and I would have to start my own business ;)

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    No advice other than that it sometimes seems to me like the BB stuff is a full time business (job?) for some people. Not sure if the Chase people would want to hear that, though :D

Mikus33 likes this.
  3. bitachu

bitachu Active Member

Status Points:
    Why not get a no annual fee hilton card...

Jsm1985 likes this.
  4. norge
    Original Member

norge Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd do B of H and B of A hawaiian airlines cards. You get 35K miles each which you can convert to 70K Hilton each (1 for 2). You might get turned down initially for one but you can call the recon. line and tell them you need to split up your spending ( they use the same back-end for processing). That would produce 140K Hh. Then I would also do the CITI Hilton for 40K or 50K Hh points. Then, finally, I'd do the AMEX Hilton, or the Surpass, for 50K-60K Hh. That's 3 different banks and over well over 200K Hh. Check your favorite blogger for links or see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1177334-special-credit-card-offers-master-thread.html

theresa_don and Mikus33 like this.
  5. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What are your travel goals? You will be able to use you miles more effectively if you have a goal in mind and are earning miles to meet a specific goal.

Ed Chandler likes this.
  6. norge
    Original Member

norge Silver Member

Status Points:

He said he was interested in "loading up" on Hilton points, ergo my suggestions. But you are correct: make a goal & then figure out how to meet that goal.

sharris503 likes this.
  7. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1 on this. Always have a plan.

8. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    True, I guess that is a goal, but what does it get you without a plan? JSM1985, My suggestion is think about short term goals and long term goals and build points to those. For instance my short term goal is an annual trip to Hawaii. Being based in PDX I load up on Avios because I can redeem them on Alaska for direct flights to the islands. My long term goal is 1st class to Brazil for the World Cup in 2014. In the last year I have applied for cards to meet both those goals.

9. theresa_don

theresa_don Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi "Sharri503." I too live in the portland metro. I am new to the world of card "churns" to maximize travel bonus. Question: have you had any luck finding Vanilla Reload cards in our area?

10. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely get the no fee Hilton card, if for no other reason, for Small Biz Sat. The 2 Hawaiian Airlines cards are good if you want Hilton points (I personally would rather have Hawaiian Miles) but you are going to get hit with the yearly fee upfront ($75 for each one I think).

I would definitely go for one of the Chase Inks. I'm planning on applying for one myself when my Sapphire Preferred yearly fee is due and then downgrading the Sapphire Preferred to a Freedom. (I don't use the 2x's on travel since I usually book United with a United card and Alaska with an Alaska card so the Sapphire Preferred is only really valuable for the airline transfer option which the Inks both have)

Other cards I have/like are the AS Visa from BofA because of the companion ticket.