2nd App-O-Rama... #AmIdoingItRight ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Zolomark, Aug 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Zolomark

Zolomark Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello MP,

Would appreciate your opinion/advice on my 2nd AOR. I did my first AOR on 5/28/12. The cards were:

Chase BA 100K bonus, $150 fee version
    2 Citi AA 100k bonus, $6k spend total
    Barclays US Airways 40k bonus, 1st purchase
    Delta AMEX Skymiles 45k bonus, $1k spend

I hit all the spends easily. My credit score has shot up to 750s.

Its been 3 months and I think I'm ready for my next AOR in the coming days and the cards I'm considering are:

AMEX SPG 30k bonus, $5k in 6 months spend
    Bank of Hawaii Hawaiian Airlines 35k bonus (70k hilton), $1k in 4 months
    Bank of America Hawaiian Airlines 35k bonus (70k hilton), $1k in 4 months
    Chase United Mileage Explorer 65k bonus, $1k spend in 3 months
    Citi Hilton Reserve 2 nights bonus, $2.5k in 4 months
    Citi AA Business Visa 50k bonus, $3k in 4 months

So in total I'm looking at about $13.5k spend over a longer average time horizon than the previous app. I may drop the Citi hilton if I feel the spend is too high though.

I'm trying to determine if any of these cards I can wait on and not worry about it going away. I know the SPG I have to get on now. Are any other cards at near expiration that I should do now instead of these? The Citi hilton is new so I feel that may be around for a while and I can just include it in my next AOR.

I do believe in the motto for this miles game that "its a marathon, not a sprint"...so am I sprinting too hard?

Thanks for your thoughts.

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think both your churns sound well thought out in terms of some of the better offers. I don't know your goals with the miles and points, but I do think that what you plan to do with the points is as important as which offers to go for.

However, assuming that you do have plans for the bonuses I agree that the Hilton Reserve card will likely be around for a while. Never any guarantees, but it seems like a safe assumption. Some of the others may very well be around for a while as well, but if you are looking to cut some spending and wait on an offer that likely isn't going anywhere that is a pretty good choice.

I'm also pretty sure I have read about a Citi double dip with the Hilton card (or do the Hilton card plus another Citi card), so you may want to wait until you can meet the spending requirements for two personal Citi cards at the same time as you did on your first churn.

marcwint55, guberif and MX like this.
  3. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree w/ mommypoints that they seem well thought out. One thing I would suggest is the no-fee Amex Hilton card to take advantage of AXON awards. It might be hard to fit it into this churn because of how many you're doing, though.

marcwint55, mommypoints and edekba like this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    he should get SPG first cuz the bonus; his next round get the Amex HHonors

mommypoints likes this.
  5. Zolomark

Zolomark Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you very much mommypoints for your input! Its great to see the bloggers taking time to go through forums and give help!

In general, I don't have any set goals with my miles/points. It took my literally almost a year to do my first AOR back in May (because I had to patiently wait for my credit score to go up). So basically I've been a long time reader, but only recently got started in the game, thus right now I'm just focused on accumulating a diversified pool of miles/points. I prefer to have a bit of everything and then see what I can do with it. I like spontaneity :).

I have heard about the Citi Hilton double dip thru the 2 browser trick. Its actually on my list, but not for this churn...perhaps the next one, though that one is pretty tightly lined up too. And yes, I spend a lot of time carefully planning out my churns with the aid of my mighty spreadsheet!

But good to know that my upcoming AOR is very sound to you.

marcwint55 and mommypoints like this.
  6. Zolomark

Zolomark Active Member

Status Points:
    Yes I agree! SPG is a definite for this churn. The Amex No Fee Hilton is on my list of cards to eventually include because I'm a big fan of the low spend and no fee...which means I'd keep it for as long as it was free/useful to help my average credit history!

marcwint55 likes this.
  7. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well technically you could do ... SPG Business & Amex HHonor. The Amex 50k free version expires 8/31/12 I believe; while the normal version is 40k.

But 10k HHonor points is not THAT much more...

8. Zolomark

Zolomark Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm feeling a bit iffy about doing business cards for AMEX and Chase. I've read they are sometimes more stringent and require documentation.

As for the Amex 50k free version..when it expires do you know if the card is gone altogether or if perhaps the terms will change, like it'll start including a fee and/or have a higher spend? is the normal 40k version fee free as well?

marcwint55 likes this.
  9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amex has 2 HHonors card; the regular vs Surpass. Normally the HHonor one is a 40k Bonus; however in May & then again in August they have/had a 50k $750/3M bonus. I believe the Surpass is 60k bonus in $1000/3M but I maybe be wrong.

Thus if you dont feel comfortable w/doing Bus Cards then just get the Amex SPG. 5k SPG is worth more tha 10k in HHonor ... at least to me.

marcwint55 likes this.
  10. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why don't you get the SPG business instead instead the Hilton?

marcwint55 likes this.
  11. Zolomark

Zolomark Active Member

Status Points:
    The first reason is that I'm a bit iffy on business cards from AMEX (and Chase) because I've read/heard that they can be more stringent and sometimes require documentation. As I have no real self owned business, I don't feel completely comfortable doing this yet.

The second reason would be that I'm already pretty maxed out on my spend limit...I may be pushing it as it is with the cards I mentioned so another 5k would be too much. But thanks for the suggestion...definitely will consider it down the line, perhaps in the next churn or 2.

marcwint55 likes this.
  12. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am also (kinda) in the same raft here...and not to steal your thunder OP...yours actually looks great....I would pull the trigger on your suggested cards.
    If the experts would kindly shine their flashlights on my AOR, I would be much obliged. Im steering from any Chase cards this round, as I think i have too many (see below).....

===== these for sure ======
    US Bank FlexPerks 33,120 offer (I have plat. pkg checking, so I get 50% bonus on ALL spend) = $800 air ticket
    AMEX SPG Personal 30K offer (my last Amex SPG personal was canceled on 6/13/2011)

====considering these=====
    BofA Hawaiian 35K offer (will convert to HHonors)
    BofH Hawaiian 35K offer (will convert to HHonors)

I currently hold the following:
    Chase INK Bold (old offer)
    Chase INK Bold (5-2-1)
    Chase Sapphire
    Chase Freedom
    AMEX SPG Business
    CITI AA Visa
    CITI AA Amex (will cancel, as I got 3,000 mile retention offer)
    Barclays US AIR Mastercard (second time--40K)
    Barclays NFL Card (got the $200 credit already--useless--now in drawer)

marcwint55 likes this.
  13. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds almost identical to my recent churn, so sounds great to me. Only difference to consider is the BoA Virgin Atlantic if you wanted that one instead of the 2 Hawaiians. Folks are having some trouble with FlexPerks, including being given a lesser card without the bonus, so just beware. Remember the deadline for that card is 8/31, so don't wait too long if you want to go for it.

marcwint55 and mrx900 like this.
  14. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    MommyPoints...I actually considered that Virgin Card...but i didnt realize it was BofA!!..I thought it was issued by AMEX, and I didnt wanna go for it cuz Amex has a history of not giving me two cards at one time..........Thanks for the notice..I will replace the two Hawaiian cards withe BofA card......THANK YOU!!

marcwint55 and mommypoints like this.
  15. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure what you are reading, although I would like to point out that the people being required to provide additional documentation are more likely to write about it than those that sailed on through without it.

For my wife and I we had to provide Citi with documentation (bills/bank statements) on the first couple of CC AA Business cards last year but not on the most recent this year. No documentation required for Chase late last year or mid this year. No documentation required for AmEx mid last year.

As with all things in life, YMMV. I would likely try to get the AmEx SPG Personal and Business while the offer lasts, and you could use the nights/stays toward gold to get status mid-next year through 2015. :) Or plan to get Personal this year, Business next year, Personal the next, etc.

Ike

marcwint55 likes this.
  16. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I may be the only one who thinks this, but i would suggest breaking the six cards into two 90 day churns. If any of the card issuers happens to notice six new applications I think a red flag might go up instantly. I may be wrong, but 90 days is not a long time to wait just to be safe.

IkeEsq likes this.
  17. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know I am in the minority here but I never really get the hubbub over the SPG card. I think MMS gets it right with this post. As for getting the SPG now vs. The Amex HH 50k I consider losing out on10k hilton vs. losing out on 5k starpoints a wash (well maybe a slight tilt to starpoints). However when you consider the value of AXON awards I think that losing out on the extra 10k HH points is potentially a big deal. If you swap the Amex HH for the SPG you will end up with 190k HH (not to mention your two nights with the Reserve Card). Put a small amount of extra spend on the card (about 2k) and you will be at 195k points. 195k will get you 5 nights at a category 7 hotel. Without the amex you don't even have enough points for 3 nights. If you wait and do the 40k instead you will only have enough points for 4 nights at a category 7 hotel.

What happens if you miss the extra 5k starpoints? You essentially lose one night at a category 5 hotel using cash and points. Personally I value a free night at a Category 7 Hilton hotel for free more than I value spending $90 on a starwood category five hotel. Just my two cents.

18. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I generally agree with what you're saying (AXON etc) the value of 1 SPG point is substantially more than HHonor to me. I use SPG almost exclusively via C&P ... and those can save lots of $$$$. An example is this contest TPG did.

http://thepointsguy.com/2012/08/and-the-spg-contest-winners-are/

IkeEsq and marcwint55 like this.
  19. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    Meh, personally I would prefer not to spend more than two weeks at the Sheraton Great Wall and I suspect that there are very few people who would want to or couldn't find something better to do with 30K starwood points. :D Your point is well taken, OTOH I prefer free nights to C&P and we earn enough HH points to stay for free for the most part. The Radisson promos have been as close to C&P as I normally get.

Ike

edekba likes this.
  20. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, the results are in: I applied last night for mine, and received 2 out of 3.
    SPG AmEx Personal - approved
    BofA Virgin Atlantic - approved
    USB FlexPerks - Pending approval...but NOT denied.

I'll walk over this morning to my branch of US Bank and talk to my 'banker'...and see if she can wrestle some arms at the credit dept.

21. Zolomark

Zolomark Active Member

Status Points:

Everyone has brought up very good points. I err on the side of SPG right now because its also a card that I would make it my "go-to" card when I'm not trying to hit spends. Most Hilton cards are hit-em-and-end-em in my opinion...you get the bonus and then stop using it. My long term goal is to get the Chase Sapphire Preferred as well and basically alternate regular spending on those two when I've already hit spends for other one-time cards.

As it stands...it seems I'd either lose one night at a Starwoods or one night at a Hilton...which nets in a wash to me. Also, there's also a lot more options to get Hilton points, whereas SPG is rare. So that's basically my reasoning so far.

22. Zolomark

Zolomark Active Member

Status Points:
    Good luck on the USB Flex! Hope you will have better news than others who have gotten downgraded cards instead...classic bait and switch...

mrx900 likes this.
  23. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dont think you can get a single night free for 10k HHonors; but you can get a night at 4P or something with 5k SPG.

To me; HHonor is great for AXON/GLON redemptions ... but you need over 100k for that while with SPG every little bit counts. At least for me

Zolomark likes this.
  24. Zolomark

Zolomark Active Member

Status Points:
    I plan to do the apps all at once...basically submitted within a few minutes of each other if possible using multiple browsers...do you think my chances of getting six pulls at once noticed is high? 6 does seem like a lot though, maybe ill tone it down to 5...

any anecdotes on what you (or anyone else) did after your very first churn? perhaps the times have changed...

marcwint55 likes this.
  25. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats! I'm not sure if anyone has gotten an instant approval on that card! Most take about 3 biz days - mine took that long and was an approval without me having to do anything additional. Hopefully yours will be the same. Good luck!

mrx900 likes this.