28 January ...a day with AA

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by rwoman, Jan 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,

Good morning from the LAX AC! I hope you all had a good weekend! I figured I would share some bits about yesterday's journey out here via DFW. :)

- AA check in at LHR - for whatever reason, the kiosk did not like my passport, but I wanted row 20 (bulkhead) sine the window was open. After a bit of manoeuvring, the agent finally got it to take. :)
    - FAs - unlike my other TATL flights, this was a mixed bag...not nearly as friendly as the others I met.
    - Semi-stinky seatmate...not cool.
    - Early arrival in DFW was nice. Even better, the AA agent that got me immediately on the next flight to LAX. Literally walked through security and on to the plane.
    - FA on the flight to LA was a bit of a sour puss. Not sure if it was a bad day or what, but definitely noticeable.
    - Customer Service desk inside security at T4 - two very nice agents that got me bulkhead seats for both flights today. These two ladies were very nice.

And, while not AA related, something I found amusing...looking for stationary in the desk of my hotel room...found condoms instead...now that was a first.

legalalien and AnthonyB1609 like this.
  2. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I spent a long day yesterday with AA as well. (I'm a newly minted Platinum as of yesterday!)

I flew from OGG to DFW then on to MSP. I did the reverse route a week earlier. I chose this route to see if it could make the awful trip back from Maui any more bearable. (Last time we went through LAX then to DFW.) The answer is no!

Prior to this trip, I had not flown AA in a while. I'm also fresh off of a really nice DL BusinessElite round trip from MSP to LHR. So, that will probably influence my comments. (I've also read through the AA is improving thread.)

We were on V and W fare tx and were able to last minute upgrade on both segments between DFW and MSP. Both flights were on the seemingly immortal S80. My adrenaline always pumps walking through the doorway and seeing the 1980s date on the McDonnell Douglas manufacturing plaque. The moaning of the hydraulics after takeoff while the flaps adjust usually has the same effect. The cabin was as expected. The service was quite good both ways. The food was decent. An off duty AA pilot was in front of me and was discussing the fact that AA is the only US airline that does its own maintenance here in the US. This nicely segued into comments about the bankruptcy.

The flight from DFW to OGG and back was in Y on a 763, and it stunk! 8 hours going and 7 retuning. We bought "preferred" seats on the 2nd row of coach. Other than the proximity to the front, there was no advantage. We didn't bother on the reverse route. Perhaps the most appalling thing about these flights is that there was no food in Y other than an inadequate supply of food for purchase. They said since the flight was "domestic" that they would not provide food. Never mind that it was just 45 min to an hour shy of my recent TATl flight. They were also selling earphones for the IFE (DL had a way superior product here). Come on! I felt sorry for the FA's because a lot of my compadres in the cattle car were being quite vocal about the above issues. Interestingly, my wife asked for a glass of wine (for purchase) on both routes, and the FA just gave it to her and wouldn't charge her.

All in all, the people on AA were nice (I wouldn't want to be flying this Wed when restructuring changes are announced) and served us as well as they could. The aircraft are dilapidated and lack many comforts that make long trips much more bearable on other carriers. Hopefully, their fleet renewal will help here. Otherwise, I need to start trying to build up from my DL SM to GM.

3. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Your adrenaline should definitely pump on Delta then as some of their DC9s are from the 70s ;)

Seriously, The MD80 is a great aircraft. As long as it is maintained, it's the best built aircraft in this segment ever. An example: Northwest and now Delta is scrapping Airbus320s from the 90s with only 50K cycles on them, but are still running the DC9s with over 100K cycles on them. That's quality.

I also find the cabin more comfortable as you only have one middle seat in coach compared to what AA is replacing the MD80s with, the 737.

MJonTravel and Skye1 like this.
  4. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used to live in Tulsa, OK where AA has one of their maintenance facilities. I bumped into a guy at Starbuck's who works on the MD80s, and we had an interesting discussion regarding their maintenance processes. He told me that they are all essentially rebuilt aircrafts exclusive of the fuselage and wings. Sarcasm aside, I do feel pretty safe on them after talking with him.

The two three configuration does help keep coach much more bearable.

5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA 763s and non-refurb DL 763s are equally terrible. Although the bulkhead seats on DL are better on these birds.

6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Holy crap was AA's video terrible this month!!!!, today LAX-ORD was Footloose, I think the first episode of Smash and an episode of The Voice, thankfully I just watch the landscape roll by out the window. Two older men were concerned that they couldn't see the screen well during Footloose. (are you kidding me!!???), earlier in the month was Dolphin Tale & Real Steel, which were just bad, the only redeeming item was Moneyball.

gemac, TheBeerHunter and rwoman like this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Halfway through Footloose on LAX-ORD now. Thank God for wifi or I might be watching it!

rwoman likes this.
  8. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't even notice what the movies were today on SFO-ORD-SFO. Had my Samsung tablet along and between television episodes on it and free wi-fi stayed pretty occupied. I am getting tired of pasta or chicken at dinner time and hope something new works its way into the February rotation.

rwoman likes this.
  9. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 763 I was on did not have wifi...I suffered through the movie...there are worse out there...I think...

10. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Rest assured, UA has the EXACT same videos as AA. That baseball movie and Footloose has been rolling for a while now.

I never use IFE anyways on any flight. I prefer entertaining myself via iPad, Kindle and such. Internet and a power outlet is what I want and compared to UA, AA beats them on both points ;)

rwoman likes this.
  11. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Footloose simply proves the old adage that the original is almost always better than the remake. I went to see Moneyball in the theater, not knowing that I would get so many opportunities to see it on a tiny screen. :)

I really like the Samsung tablets, at least you get a bit of choice.

rwoman likes this.
  12. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What I "like" about the MD-80 is how quiet it is in First, with the engines at the opposite end of the plane.
    As for the coach cabin, exit rows in coach also have a decent amount of legroom, and have occasionally declined the upgrade to F at the gate if all that's left in F is those no-room-for-your-legs bulkehads.

13. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    When they're showing "Footloose", don't watch the movie--watch the passengers watching the movie. 'Ya never know who's going get lost in head-phone-land & start singing & dancing along & oblivous to the real world around them....

My flatmates & I were going to rent Moneyball this weekend & had to tell them I'd seend it. Might see it again 'tho, as was living in the Bay Area during that amazing season, and it's kinda' cool to re-live the moment.....

gemac and rwoman like this.
  14. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're right on both counts. I watched the movie, thinking that it wouldn't be hard to improve on the first one, beset as it was with stereotypes and the need to set up a straw man to knock down. Apparently expecting an improvement was overly optimistic. And it is amazing how many people think that headphones have magically transported them to their couch at home.

15. ByeByeDelta

ByeByeDelta Silver Member

Status Points:
    While you have less engine noise up front, which I also appreciate, there is more wind noise. Some MD-80s are worse than others. The MD-83 DFW-LGA this past Sunday was particularly loud as we climbed out. It also seems the ex-TWA aircraft have both more wind noise and quieter PAs, making announcements difficult to hear in-flight.