25th Anniversary trip on points & miles?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Travelmom4, Jan 13, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Travelmom4

Travelmom4 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Husband and I are celebrating our anniversary in August and searching for trip ideas. I am hopeful that some of our world travelers might be a great resource.

We are looking to spend a week somewhere-which will be a treat with our busy family life. We need to travel when the kids are in camp-between 7/4 and 7/25 (we usually prefer to avoid high season but what can you do?). I am thinking that somewhere in Europe would be fun. We are conserving cash for a big purchase so I would like to do as much as I can on miles/points. We have 100k AMEX MR points, 350k UR points, 325k SPG points, 500k USA miles,200k BA miles, 200k AA miles. Here are some relevant details:
    -Husband and I fly separately so we need to fly into an airport where there are multiple flights from the US each day (Paris worked well last year and we were able to arrive within a few hours of each other)
    -we can fly into a major city and then take the train or fly to our ultimate destination
    -we would like to fly business class and hope to get a good value for our points/miles-some fees are acceptable
    -we would like to stay at a high end property and tend to steer away from traditional, American style, large hotels
    -we have spent time in Paris and London and would like to do something new
    -we would be interested in somewhere quaint, out of the way-maybe a village or small town with day trip options nearby but we are not ruling out a larger city
    -we usually prefer to stay in one place and get to know the local restaurants, etc.
    -we like to bike (not hard core), hike, stroll, and to explore everything from art to architecture to music to wine and food (we love to eat well!)
    -we can either use points for a hotel or stay somewhere that is not too expensive (ballpark $250/ night)
    -we are from NO and like to get out of the heat in the summer (we often enjoy the mountains and mountain lakes)

What do you travel gurus think? Does anything come to mind that says "fabulous anniversary trip on points and miles"?

Newscience, uggboy and iolaire like this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fly to Zurich or Geneva take the train to Lugano pick up a car and spend the time in the Lake Como region.
    Dozens of quaint little villages can be visited by lake steamer. (the same for the nearby Lake Garda)

Our favorite little hotel Hotel Posta, Moltrasio
    http://www.hotel-posta.it/

uggboy, Newscience and iolaire like this.
  3. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Newscience likes this.
  4. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    How about Canada? Montreal and Quebec City (~3 hour drive from Montreal) for a few days each would satisfy "art to architecture to music to wine and food". Another choice would be to fly into Calgary and visit Banff, Jasper, and/or Lake Louise. That would satisfy "get out of the heat in the summer (we often enjoy the mountains and mountain lakes)".

You should start making some hotel bookings now to get rates in you price range that you can cancel w/o penalty when you finally decide on your trip.

Newscience likes this.
  5. Travelmom4

Travelmom4 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great suggestions, everyone. I like them all and will do some research before reporting back.

Newscience likes this.
  6. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothin' wrong with Vancouver, Salt Spring Island, Ucluelet, Victoria, etc. either!

Zomby Woof likes this.
  7. runningshoes

runningshoes Active Member

Status Points:
    If you want something different, how about a safari - both Zambia and Botswana are great destinations with multiple carriers flying into the key airports. In both countries you can find more secluded, away from the crowds, destinations with prices ranging from reasonable to a splurge (you can also easily mix the two).
    In any case, good luck and congratulations on hitting 25 years together!