25,000 SkyMiles for $500 in SkyMall Purchases - ROUND 2 on the way SOON!

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Delta Points, Nov 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Delta Points
    Original Member

Delta Points Silver Member

Status Points:
    DEAL is DEAD - it looks like it went for about 5 hours!

What is this about? SKYMALL in September had an offer that if you spend $500 you get 25,000 skymiles. As you can see below they are going to do it again very soon. Get ready everyone!

-----------------------------------------------
    Updates from SKYMALL Aaron everyone!

Hello FlyerTalk Community, (not over here yet - my words)

We want to thank you for your continued patience in this matter. I wanted to touch base with the community and try to provide up to date and accurate information regarding the promotion as well as clear up and rumors and/or misinformation.

1. An official promotional email will be sent to our customer database with
    specific instructions on how, when, and where to participate in the
    promotion.
    2. Once the official email has been sent, I will simultaneously go on the
    blogs and post the content of the promotional email for those bloggers
    who may not receive the email.
    3. The was information provided on blogs regarding a specific launch time for
    the promotion. At the time the information provided was accurate and
    provided by myself. However, after further research and other factors that
    needed to be taken in consideration, we made the decision to not launch
    the promotion at midnight. I take full responsibility for the
    miscommunication and misinformation. I sincerely apologize to all of you for
    any inconvenience this may have caused. I also want to apologize to the
    wonderful bloggers who have helped spread the word on our behalf and
    have received negative remarks and comments as a result. I understand
    you did not have to do this, but you did and put yourself at risk and I can
    not express how greatful we are for your help and assistance.

As a result of recent developments, we will play this promotion by the book and will make sure all communication going out is OFFICIAL. We strive to give everyone a fair chance to participate in this upcoming promotion and make sure that we have staff available to answer all customer service questions/concerns as well as address any technical support questions that may come up as a result of the large amount of expected internet traffic.

I will attempt to answer all general questions related to customer service and terms and conditions. If you have individual scenario based questions or concerns please email those to miles@skymall.com and an Airline Program Support Representative will be more than happy to assist you further.

Once again, I do want to apologize about any inconvenience.

Thank you,

Aaron Burnette, Sr
    Airline Program Administrator
    SkyMall, Inc
    aburnette@skymall.com

**important update** 08DEC2011

Hello FlyerTalk Community,

I want to thank everyone who participated for your business and patience as we transition to the fulfilment and backend portions of the order process. Sorry that I have not been able to post on here for the last few days as the focus has shifted to answering emails, private messages, phone calls, replacing cancelled orders, processing tax exemption credits, price match credits, general customer service questions/concerns, and other customer requests.

As you can see, it is Holiday season and things tend to get a little busy over here. However, hopefully I can provide some piece of mind and address some current issues through this post.

1. Price Match - Roughly 90& of the 1000 orders placed have a price match requst associated with it. As you can see from some of the posts, some customers have already had their requests approved and have had credits submitted while others are awaiting a response. We are diligently working hard to get these requests reviewed within a timely. We do ask for your continued patience in this matter as our Price Match Department (Chris) is processing record amounts of these requests.

I noticed that many of the requests were sent to customerserv@skymall.com. To expedite your request please resend your Price Match requests to pricematch@skymall.com and cc myself at aburnette@skymall.com so that we can expedite your request as well as monitor the process to ensure that these requests are processed in a timely manner.

2. Back Order notifications - Due to the success of the online frequent flyer community blog sites and useful information provided by its members, there were certain products that were ordered in very large amounts (ie Samsung Galaxy Tablets). This coupled with regular Holiday traffic and a surge in retails sales for the 4th quarter may have caused many orders to go on backorder. We are currently working with our distributors and warehouses to ensure that we can fulfill all orders within a timely manner. We are confident that we will be able to fulfill these orders and have them available to ship and be delivered prior to the late December Holidays. If your item is placed on backorder, you will be recieving a notification along w/ an expected ship date. For any questions regarding this, please email customerserv@skymall.com or call 1-800-SKYMALL.

3. Order Cancellations - A. After reviewing several orders, I have noticed some orders being cancelled due to Name and Address Verification issues. If you ordered items and had them shipped to alternative addresses, we must be able to verify the ship to address with your credit card company. We have very strict fraud checks in place for your protection. If your order was cancelled for this reason, we will be more than happy to replace your order. If you have any questions regardin the cancellation of your order please contact miles@skymall.com.

B. If you ordered any Casio electronic items, your order may have already been cancelled. Due to the recent flooding and other natural dissaster in Taiwan and neighboring areas, Casio is unable to provide accurate shipping information for their products. As a result, we at SkyMall have made the decision to go ahead and cancel these orders in stead of place them in a backorder status without an expected ship date. We are reaching out to these customers with counter offers and sub products similar to the ones that were ordered. If you placed an order for any Casio electronic items please email me directly at aburnette@skymall.com to discuss your options.

Once again, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that anyone has experienced during this promotion. However, please keep in mind that we are on the job and are dedicated to addressing and resolving any customer service issue that you may have.

At any time, if anyone had an urgent concerns, please feel free to contact me direcly at aburnette@skymall.com.

Thank you,

Aaron Burnette
    Airline Program Administrator
    SkyMall, Inc
    aburnette@skymall.com

2. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I did not pay attention to this enough on the last round, but I could use an extra 25k to top off my SM balance so I can burn them off.

3. Delta Points
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Last round I did 250k at 0.0028 per mile all in (total cost $700). I think this time it will be a little higher like .0037 per mile all in. Still a good price if you need and can find 100k biz ticket over the pond!

alohastephen likes this.
  4. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I agree...problem is I don't have that kind of cash right now even for a smoking price...although 25k miles is certainly in my wheelhouse. Pity that the last round drove such Galaxy deflation. :)

Gargoyle likes this.
  5. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    I definitely need to look for some items that I might want/need. i don't feel like getting into the reselling stuff but if I'm thinking about getting an SLR or something anyways I figure 25K miles equals 250 dollars minimum. A 500 dollar camera is now only 250.

6. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    Although looking at a few examples all of the cameras are marked up around 250 more than a simple google search on the web. :confused: TVs are probably the same.

7. hobo13
    Original Member

hobo13 Silver Member

Status Points:
    0.028 cents I assume?

8. Delta Points
    Original Member

Status Points:
    oooooopppsss needed one more ZERO = 0.0028 / mile. Thanks. So next round 0.0037. IMO anything 1/2 a penny and under is a good buy price for skymiles!

9. hobo13
    Original Member

hobo13 Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, that makes more sense. And a good deal. What was your strategy, and why do you think it is going to cost more this time?

10. Delta Points
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Some last round got both free S&H and the price match and thus the cost per mile was very low. This round we don't yet know what codes will work or not but SKYMALL is very good and will let us know what we can and can not do and then will 100% stand behind that. These people are good (unlike other shopping portals that are not so good!).

11. Gary Steiger
    Original Member

Gary Steiger Silver Member

Status Points:
  12. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep us posted. Thanks.

13. noname2
    Original Member

noname2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Still waiting on the miles to post from round one. :-(

14. Delta Points
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Do you have Aaron's email? Trust me, you will get them. These folks are just tops. You will not be missed (but it may take a while they said it will take 4 more weeks to run all the groups from round 1 so just hang on!)
    :p

15. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good news to read. I didn't go "large" like some did so I look forward to trying my hand at this. Thanks for posting!

16. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    What does dumping 400 people mean?

Gargoyle likes this.
  17. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it's 25K miles per $500 purchase, how doyou get 250K miles for $700?
    Thanks in advance for the clarification. :)

18. Delta Points
    Original Member

Status Points:
    @alohastephen - Skymall is processing 400 order per week from the last promo so doing it as fast as they can so we all get our points from last round. Some of us got the SAMSUNG TABs for $500 each. After selling them we ended up with a LOSS of $70 each for 10 of them thus LOST $700 on the deall all in but gained 250k skymiles. Clear?:D

alohastephen and K F like this.
  19. K F

K F Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love the idea! Hopefully I'm not the only one looking for clarification, but from what I understand:

1. Buy Galaxy Tab @ 499.99 + 21.25(shipping) + 32.58(Ohio taxes) = $553.82
    2. Sell on Ebay for $469.99 - (Fees for fixed price format listing+Fees for Paypal+S&H($5?))= $426.14
    3. Loss on item = $127.68
    4. Earn 2.5k Delta Miles for Purchase
    So for 27.5k Delta Miles, the cost would be $127.68, which is pretty good, but not great. The fees I used are for a small business seller, not for high volume. My questions is, are any of these fees variable and if so, how can they be changed? I could see price matching with Sam's Club to save $21.31, which makes it about $105. Also, maybe using coupons that don't affect the 27.5k bonus? If I could get it down to $70, I would consider this if there is anything I'm missing. Thanks for any insight for this potentially great deal!

alohastephen likes this.
  20. Delta Points
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Your math is bad. Last time they did price match with SAMS. Maybe not this round. Some got both price match and free s&h last time (maybe). Not so this time. TAX will kill you. Get tax exempt some way. Power sellers get a big break on ebay. Many use Amazon to save money. Some use cragislist to save money. Need all in loss at max $100 per unit to get a good value IMO.

To make this killer takes some work. Do the work and enjoy the rewards!

21. noname2
    Original Member

noname2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, I do not have the email address.
    What's odd, I placed 2 orders, (2 different accts.) received credit for one, but not the other.

22. Delta Points
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not odd. I got 125k for wife and only 50k of my 125k for mine. Loaded in batches. We will get rest soon. PM me if you do not get them this or next week and I will get you Aaron's email!

23. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got it. Thank you for the clarification. :)

24. K F

K F Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tips!

Here's my math using the guidelines from their websites:
    1. Galaxy Tab price including shipping/taxes is from skymall's website
    2. Ebay Fees: $.50 Insertion Fee + 7% of 1st $50 + 5% of Remaining $419.99 = $25
    3. Paypal Fees: 2.9% + .30 transaction fee = $13.93
    4. Total Fees + $5 for S&H = $43.93
    5. Profit from Selling = $426.06
    6. Net Loss = $127.76 (no rounding used; not a big deal)

Tax is killer and I will look into that, but I'm not too saavy with tax laws and am wondering if there is a way to purchase this for personal use tax free. And I'm happy to do as much works as it takes like the one time I escalated an issue with SPG over a hotel stay that took months to get resolved. I scored a nice points package for the trouble. I think this could be a great deal if I could sell it on Craiglist, but it sounds like Ebay was the fastest and safest way to go. That may be worth it, but from my end $70 seems a stretch, it'll probably be more like $105(if they price match) unless I can sell it without all the fees & taxes.

I got in on the Suntrust debit card offer(earned 250k for $550) last year and I'm very happy to pay for miles at these prices and I see this as a potentially huge offer if I put in some work.

25. Delta Points
    Original Member

Status Points:
    @K F - better. You get the basic idea very well. Anther way is to network with your friends and tell them (that are not points nutz like us) you will sell them to them for $400 CASH each (or work mates - tell everyone). For us to buy 25k miles for $100 or less is just great IMO.

:)You know - I have an idea kids - SCHOOLS? What if we talked to our local schools about selling them for $399 each? Talk to the "IT" people and maybe we could unload 10 or 50 or 100 to them at a great price? Hummm..... ;)