~24H in Jakarta - stay @ airport or venture into city?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by DCtrAAveler, Jul 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will be in CGK for just over 24 hours, arriving 22:50 on 30 Aug and leaving at 00:10 on 1 Sept. First thought was to just stay at the airport Sheraton, but wondering if it would be worth venturing into the city. I've read there's not much to see/do and that it's difficult to get around, but being in a new city I feel somehow like I should see more than just the hotel. Anything worth trying to see/do/photograph on a Sunday or should I just chill at the Sheraton? Other hotel options I should consider near the airport if I don't go into the city? Thanks for any and all advice.

2. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    This reply is too late to answer DCtrAAveler but for others I would say yes, stay at the airport Sheraton. I used it as a base for 2 nights but only had 1 day in Jakarta. Their breakfast is amazing wonderful and the courtyard outside our room- well, I thought I walked outside into a jungle courtyard. Pretty cool.
    I used the hotel concierge to book car and driver for a few hours.I'm sure you can do it cheaper but it was easy (lack of time remember!) and it was quite cost effective as the Indonesian dollar goes a long way. 650,000 for 4 hours which is like $54. Gave him the list of what we wanted to see which included the monument park Mosa Tower, Kali Ciliwung or the Independence Mosqu which we toured and Fatahillahn square. The drivers name was Dondi and he also took us to a multi level mall. Very modern and would have liked to have had more time to browse. We also had him take us to the harbor which was quite interesting seeing their local vessels.
    The people were quite friendly. Please venture out of the hotel and see Jakarta.

Sweet Willie and iolaire like this.
  3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good feedback, thanks for posting it on the old thread! This type of information is good to have. My best layover ever was at LAX on the way to New Zealand when we took the local bus to Santa Monica for our nine hour layover and poked around there through happy hour.

Since the thread was brought up can you report back on your layover and what you missed that you wished you did?

4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Usually the <4-8 hour window is where there is any debate, or places I know well and dodon't care about. Always check out the city.

5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    can you share the list please? and having been, would you add/delete any items from the list?

Thanks as I'm not having much luck finding attractions for a tourist while in Jakarta. I'll be there for a day in mid Feb, a Sunday.

6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I too will be in Jakarta on a Sunday for a 24 hour period, what did you end up doing on your Sunday in Jakarta?