24 Hours in Trinidad & Tobago

Discussion in 'Other North America/non U.S.' started by LarryInNYC, Feb 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll be doing some island hopping next month and it looks like I'll end up with 24 hours in Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago.

Anybody been? Any suggestions for:

1. Hotel, guesthouse, or B&B (hopefully convenient to the airport).

2. Eating.

3. Beaches or things to see.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    PoS sucks. I got over to Tobago and it was awesome. Decent beaches and nightlife easily accessible. But with only 24 hours your time will be tight to make that work.

LarryInNYC likes this.
  3. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ruh roh. That doesn't sound so great. I'll have to look into the trip to Tobago, but I'm not sure I want to start the day on one island when I have a 7:30 flight that evening from another island.

I guess the airport code PoS is a bit of a tip-off, isn't it?

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I did a CO weekend special to POS a couple years ago. The flights between TAB and POS are frequent and cheap; it is basically commuter service for the locals. Getting on a 4pm TAB-POS will leave you plenty of time to catch the 7:30 onward flight, as well as to get some fried chicken in the POS terminal. That's the best food they've got and, to be fair, it is pretty good.

LarryInNYC likes this.
  5. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting -- that may be living a bit more dangerously than I like (although my LGW flight that night is on Carribean and I believe they operate the shuttle as well, so perhaps it's not quite as dangerous as it sounds). I'm one of those people who believe each airline maintains an entire department dedicated to denying me, personally, boarding. A few years back I almost missed a flight to Mexico because the Airtrain took 50 minutes to get me from Howard Beach to Terminal 8.

Any recs if I do make it out to Tobago?

I found a fleabag guesthouse for $60 out by Las Cuevas beach (near Maracas Bay) on Trinidad itself -- would mean renting a car for the day but that would be offset by the cost of the air shuttle. That's my TAB alternative right now.

Thanks again for the advice.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at a similarly low-end hotel in Tobago. I just tried to dig through my email and TripIt archives to see if i could find the details of the place but I don't see any record of it. It was clean enough and walking distance to the beach near the airport there. I actually ended up walking back to the airport, too. That was an interesting experience.

It isn't so much that Tobago is a happening or awesome place but it didn't make me feel uncomfortable walking around at night like I did in Port of Spain.

LarryInNYC likes this.
  7. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are we talking East 135th Street uncomfortable or Karachi uncomfortable?

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, I've never been to Karachi. ;)

I did find myself looking closely at everyone who approached as I was walking down the street the couple blocks from the pub to my hotel.

And a gang fight at one of the Carnival parties that night - the one I considered going to but ended up being too tired - ended with two dead.

9. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to say, I quite enjoyed my 18 hours or so in Port of Spain. Granted, I arrived from Kingston, so walking around Port of Spain was like walking around Riverdale in comparison, although at night I only went a couple of blocks from my hotel to grab some food. I felt safe in the all the neighborhoods I ventured into during the day and really enjoyed the rotis. Also, found the people really friendly. And, I recommend the Angostura 1919 run.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  10. wingspan
    Original Member

wingspan Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's been nearly a year since I last stepped food in TT, but reading over this thread has me salivating for some fried chicken with hot sauce, and some rotis by the beach.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  11. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was just at a restaurant in Chicago two days ago that served Trinidadian food, had a goat roti and ginger beer, delicious ! I will say that the roti itself wasn't the same as the rotis I've had in SE Asia which had more of an Indian taste/texture.
    I've heard/read the same thing, that PoS is not a place one wants to be and that Trinidad is lots of industry, whereas Tobago is the Caribbean beach destination.

That said, anyone know is ALL of Trinidad industry laden or are there nice beach/resort areas to lounge on/around on Trinidad?

-

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It is not all industry, but the beaches are harder to find and get to. I believe the north coast has some decent options available.

13. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    the main problem is the "incessant traffic" it can take an hour to go a short distance

the Holiday Inn by the airport is passable if you can get a good rate, then there are a few pub-type restaurants in the area or go to the golf course lounge near Tunapuna you could catch a taxi to

14. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    POS is not a known tourist destination; except on rare occasions when there is a cricket test match going on (that too not more than a thousand tourists max. for five days) Up by the hills, is laid back suburbia, down by the port; or at night near the Cricket stadium are steel bands practicing jamming.

There are beaches around the island that the locals use, they tend to be near the venezuelan coast and opposite end of the island from POS.

Tobago on the other hand, is purely developed for tourism. Both BA & VS used to have weekly flights from LGW. At one point in time DL too flew ATL-POS at rock bottom fare.

Trini cuisine is an eclectic mix of creole+indian mix. But the indian cuisine in Trini is much different in saucing and spicing than you can find in India, or big cities like New York, London, Toronto et. al.