24 hours + in non-gateway city

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by gallivant, Oct 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. gallivant

gallivant Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just back from Peru and while there I was able to change my CUZ to LIM award flight by several days by calling AA's Peru phone number. No questions , no penalty. Something I couldn't do when I first booked the trip in the states. Thought this might help others who want to spend more time in Lima. The cervicherias are well worth the extra time.

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You'd probably have to give more detail on what your exact itinerary was so that the change you're mentioning makes more sense.....?

3. gallivant

gallivant Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK lets see if I can make sense of my 1st award booking with AA. GEG-SEA-DFW-MIA-LIM-CUZ. The return was in the reverse. The trip was a saver award for 35,000 miles. When I booked I couldn't get more than 24 hours in Lima on the return and I was able to change the CUZ-LIM return flight while in Cusco. I also joined the Skyguide Club for $20 and bought 2 Admirals club passes for all the airport time and already received one $50 refund. It was a long haul but got us there and back.

4. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:

This is an old "trick". Although we think of a corporation as a monolith, different department and stations always have different agenda. It was even truer in the old days when everyone wasn't bound by a computer network. So the phone agents and city offices were big on rules, and to be fair they weren't faced with seats about to go empty, but gate agents were and anyways wanted to move the planes out. An office in Delhi may have different priorities and attitude than its NYC counterpart. I got many exceptions from many airlines, simply by asking elsewhere again and again, in the starting country, connecting country and destination country, in person and over the phone. Details have changed, but similar rules operate now, and you come across this in FT mantra of "call again", or "go to AAngel in the lounge instead of the check-in counter".

So you discovered the golden rule: Be prepared to fly the ticket as booked, because you just may have to, but if you do want a change, keep asking.