24 Hours in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Lufthansa Flyer, Nov 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good day all!

Have a mileage jog scheduled to HKG in december. Am arriving in the evening at 6p, then departing 2 days later at 11a. Giving me 1 full day in HKG. Am staying at this point at hotel near Victoria Harbor for first night, then at hotel near airport for second night or maybe skipping hotel on second night to plane spot the overnight departures and arrivals. With 1 full day I'd like to get a sense of HKG in its down town area......obviously sample local foods, shop a bit and then plane spot back at HKG for a bit before traveling home. Can anyone suggest what I can reasonably accomplish in 24 hours inHKG without leaving the immediate vicinity of victoria harbor, etc. I dont want to spend an hour or 2 traveling on trains or buses when instead I can doing things in the City. Also, does anyone know if the CityGate outlets are worth a look? so far I know to buy an octopus card when I arrive so that I can get around easily on the airport express, etc.

thanks much!

2. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just got back from Hong Kong about a week ago and was on a similar tight schedule. (2 nights, 1.5 days)

As for local food- there is a dim sum dining room called Maxim Palace on the 3rd floor of CIty Hall (near the central Hong Kong MTR station) which was very good. They even served the food off of little carts. We also went to Din Tai Fung (for noodles and such) in Kowloon. It was on the 3rd or 4th floor of one of the malls that was very convenient to the waterfront area. I'm sure you can ask you hotel concierge how to get there. It was a very easy walk from the Intercontinental where we stayed.

As for transportation- We took the MTR from the airport. It was quick and easy. You can get a 3 day pass that includes to/from the airport and unlimited rides within the city for I think like $15USD (my husband usually handles the money details, but I remember him mentioning it was $30, so I'm assuming that was both of us)

Other than that, we spent some time in the hotel pool, rode the MTR around, ate, and shopped. Our last night we went to Victoria Peak, which was fun, but completely over-run with tourists. A walk along the waterfront on the Kowloon side (there is an elevated walkway near the ferry terminal that goes down to in front of the cultural center) turned out to be more enjoyable and a great place to watch the harbor activity and get a feel for the city. We also watched the light show one night from the walkway in front of the IC, which was cool too. I didn't get too much time to plane-spot at HKG because I was with my husband and he's not really into that so the highlight of my time spent in the airport was the Thai Royal Orchid Lounge (best I've seen) and a little toy shop before security that had die cast model planes. I got a really nice 1:500 older livery United DC-10 like the ones I used to fly on when I was kid :)

sobore, Kalboz, Maximizer and 10 others like this.
  3. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Must dos:

- Peak Tram and The Peak
    - Watch the Symphony of Lights from TST (Kowloon side) along the Avenue of the Stars promenade
    - Take the Star Ferry at night from TST to Central. The view is not half as nice in the opposite direction.

The CityGate outlets are worth a look if you like shopping. There are some nice bargains to be had. But brace yourself as it can be very packed and also the shops open late and close rather early.

4. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just wanted to correct my earlier posting- The MTR airport express card was about $30 per person. $300HKD -$50 you get back if you return the card. Still a pretty good deal compared to a taxi/ shared ride arrangement

sobore, Kalboz, mrredskin and 6 others like this.
  5. Switch2

Switch2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can get around places using the MTR, no spending hours, if you are spending hours that means you took the wrong train and are heading towards china :D. Local taxis are cheap $3 for the meter drop and they are all over the place. In down town central area look for "Lan Kwai Fong" many bars and restaurants there(they hop after 5pm- daily many have happy hours), close to it is the world's longest escalator many bars+restaurants in that area it's called "SoHo" take the escalator for a tourist view as well, it's free. Peak/Peak tram like hulagirl suggested is a good view, it goes right across from the U.S. Embassy. Peak tram is walking distance if you like walking for 20 odd minutes from central or cab it. Star Ferry is in central too, take a ride across to Kowloon side and take in the HK island view (it's magnificent) Shopping is everywhere, take the ferry or MTR across to Kowloon side and walk the Nathan Road mile, every possible shopping experience is possible there. Enjoy!

Kalboz, mrredskin, savydog and 2 others like this.
  6. dreamfool

dreamfool Active Member

Status Points:
    Shops in CityGate outlet mall is OK, mostly non-high end clothes, but I don't think I have bought one thing there. I personally prefer to shop at the outlet mall here in the US. You should be able to find plenty of stuff to buy everywhere, but in my opinion Time Square in Causeway Bay and The Pacific Place in Admiralty are great malls to visit and they both have MTR station in the basement.

Kalboz, savydog, nime01 and 3 others like this.
  7. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks all for the great tips. I have no doubt that I'll have plenty to do to fill my 24 hours there!!!

8. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Based on the city gates website you would think it was THE place the shop!! thanks for the heads up! I dont want to see shops that I can see at home! :)

savydog, nime01 and JohnDeere19 like this.
  9. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 for Times Sqaure in Causeway Bay. There is also a lot of good shopping on the surrounding streets there too.

10. Princess Fiona
    Original Member

Princess Fiona Silver Member

Status Points:
    I went to Disney, mind you I was accompanied by 4 very jet-lagged kids trying to keep them awake.
    I can now sing "It's a small world" in Cantonese ;)
    We also did the Star Ferry, markets in Mong Kok . We stayed at Langham Place.
    Everything else has already been covered by the excellent advice above. The MTR is the best :) :)

tahewett, lwkatya, nime01 and 2 others like this.
  11. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Looks like the Peak Tram is a must for some great photo opps. need to remember to pack a tripod. staying about 10 minutes away from the lower tram terminus so that works out perfectly. Probably the first place I go once I check in.

Tenmoc, savydog, nime01 and 1 other person like this.
  12. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am going to contradict those who talk about various places for great shopping in Hong Kong. There are no longer any shopping bargains anywhere in Hong Kong, especially when compared to prices in the US. Period. Hong Kong is now set up primarily as a place for mainland China visitors to go to get foreign luxury goods that are likely not counterfeit.

mrredskin, gleff, savydog and 3 others like this.
  13. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the tips everyone and 744 for asking the question. I have a 22ish hour overnight layover in HKG coming up and will definitely use a lot of these recommendations. I haven't been there in >10 years.

lwkatya, savydog, nime01 and 2 others like this.
  14. dreamfool

dreamfool Active Member

Status Points:
    I agree with you. Having lived there for a long time myself, stuff are not as cheap as they were before. However, the wide selection of quality international goods and delicious food will definitely impress visitors from the US.

Kalboz, savydog, nime01 and 2 others like this.
  15. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Im most interested in the things that are not readily available in the states. I tend to play golf toooo much and I know that golf equipment and apparel are quite a bit different in asia than in the USA, still made by the same companies like adidas or titleist, but they have completely different products there.

savydog, nime01 and JohnDeere19 like this.
  16. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, prices are not cheap but I think the selection of goods, like clothings, are much better than other Asian cities. Definitely very impressive.

17. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone have recommendations on tailored suits at reasonable prices?

savydog, nime01 and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  18. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I get my shirts done by hemrajani brothers. A few suits too, but the shirts are top notch!! www.mytailor.com. Thanks for mentioning it. Never dawned on me to go to their shop directly in Kowloon

savydog and nime01 like this.
  19. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which side are you staying at? VH is situated between Kowloon Peninsula and the Northern Coast of HK Island.
    If you plan on allocating time for your shopping in-town (Mongkok, TST, Causeway Bay, etc), then no. Though, you can go there for dinner during your second night as you mentioned you'll be overnighting within the airport vicinity. There are a couple of good restaurants there (I would recommend Golden Shanghai there). But not worth browsing around specifically for shopping if you plan on doing so in-town.

As for local cuisine, Dim Sum is a must (and there will be no shortages regardless which side of the harbour your hotel is located. Fushion cafes (known locally as 茶餐廳) are also worth dining at as HK has it's own unique style of blending Chinese & Western dishes together. For example you can have Macaronis and hams inside the soup that is normally used for wonton noodles. And the good part about this is that most of them are cheap in cost. When going to these, don't miss out on the Milk Tea (you can have them warm or cold)
    Not to nit pick or anything but for the line that goes directly into the Airport, the locals refer to it as the Airport Express as oppose to the MTR even through the AE is operated by the MTR. :) The regular MTR trains that operate throughout the other areas of the SAR has the Tung Chung line that goes the same route as the AE but terminates at Tung Chung station instead. From there you would need to take bus S1 to get you to the Airport terminal. Having said that though, this form is actually cheaper than taking the AE if you don't mind the extra transit & extra station stops. For example going to Kowloon Station, an S1 + Tung Chung line combo cost less than $20HKD one way. Much much cheaper than the $90HKD you'd be paying for the AE.

mrredskin, lwkatya, savydog and 2 others like this.
  20. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    With all the talk about Citygate not being all its cracked up to be, I'm probably going to switch to both nights in the city. Have the Grand Hyatt booked. Happy that its on the same side as the peak tram which will probably the first place I go right after I check in. I should be in HKG at 6p, so hoping by 8p on the peak tram. The slight problem is finding time to plane spot, but maybe show up super early on departure day and walk around airside.

savydog and nime01 like this.
  21. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We have 24hrs in HKG at the very end of our upcoming trip, so this is an interesting topic with a lot of great ideas!
    Still have not booked our hotel for that last night yet, but will likely end up in TST somewhere :)

Tenmoc, savydog, cennas and 2 others like this.
  22. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    mrredskin, Tenmoc, lwkatya and 4 others like this.
  23. Switch2

Switch2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very nice TR. The Golden shopping arcade in SSP sure brought back memories, it used to be the only place for hardware/software in the 80's... Thanks for that :)

24. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    -Maxims City Hall was awesome for dim sum. Full of locals & some tourists. The dim sum was tasty. Many times we picked an item from a cart & had no clue what we were getting. Definitely part of the fun.
    -Definitely take the Star Ferry-great views & so cheap
    -Try to wander around a Wet Market to see some of the crazy sea creatures they sell
    -Take a ride on the longest covered escalator in the world

Have a great time! I'd definitely like to go back to HK some day.

kaka, JohnDeere19 and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  25. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I took my Mileage Run to HKG and turned it into contest for ideas on my blog. Here's a link to the post showing a list of things that readers have suggested I entertain doing while there.

TRAVELSIG and cennas like this.