24 Hours In Hong Kong?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Pizzaman, Jun 2, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I have 24 hours in Hong Kong coming up and I've never been. I saw the helpful thread on where to eat in HKG, but I'm wondering what people would rank as the things they would do on a first trip if you only had one full day?

daninstl likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ride the Star Ferry for harbor views. Watch the light show. If the weather is clear views from the Peak are nice. Markets (goldfish, flower, etc.) in the Mongkok area can be fun to walk through.

3. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have great Dim Sum.....

Pizzaman and daninstl like this.
  4. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Go to Disney HKG :) Seriously it is close to the airport. Not many attractions close to the HKG airport but the convention center, Disney and Noah's Ark are.

My best (non-expert) opinion is to take the airport express to Central or downtown, get a hotel then head out for food (see the thread you mention on HKG). Not a lot of time for other stuff. +1 on riding the ferry though. Shopping is a highlight there but not really any super great cheap products like in some countries. Might be good for duty free though.

You might check out Anthony Bourdain's Layover episode on HKG for some ideas. http://www.travelchannel.com/shows/the-layover/episodes/hong-kong

Here are a couple other ideas also:
    http://pointsplanesandpassports.com/weekend-in-hong-kong/
    http://millionmilesecrets.com/2014/03/31/activities-in-hong-kong/

Pizzaman likes this.
  5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have a half a dozen of the egg tarts (one is not enough) and go to the (night) horse races at Happy Valley racetrack .

daninstl and Pizzaman like this.
  6. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Thanks, everyone! Enjoying building a list. I'm sure 24 hours will only whet my appetite for future trips.

daninstl and Wandering Aramean like this.
  7. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah 24 hours isn't much for any major city but at least you'll know if you want to go back.

I'm headed there later in June for about a week. I guess you know your an AV geek when I haven't done that much research until a week or so ago but have been booked in F on the DFW-HKG AA 77w route since last Summer. Not sure my wife will be able to handle the 16 hour flight but she's flown to Eastern Europe in coach many times so I may be wrong. I put her in 1A to try and spoil her.

8. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    She should be able to handle it better in 1A than 36F. :)

The 77W is a delightful experience. I slept like a baby in that seat.

9. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey I found a couple other bits of info that might be helpful (like I said I'm preparing to go there soon myself).

http://www.china-mike.com/ is a good site. Mostly China but some stuff on HKG.
    He suggests the tourist day pass for the public transportation instead of the Octopus card. Seems like a perfect fit for 24 hours.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be VERY careful with this, especially if you're likely to end up on both buses and the MTR. At least one of the day passes doesn't work on the bus. :oops:

daninstl likes this.
  11. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good tip. Thanks for the heads up.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  12. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I was a bit frustrated that they wouldn't let me buy an octopus card using anything other than cash. But, that was a much better situation than the Shenzhen version only accepting 5 RMB notes as a payment method, especially when most fares were NOT 5 RMB.

13. eat eat and eat and eat You can eat a michelin starred venues to Hawker Stalls have fun.

Pizzaman likes this.
  14. @Pizzaman you can eat at anything from haute cuisine to hawker stalls. I loved the Four Seasons there and the Chinese restaurant is the best I have been to

Pizzaman likes this.
  15. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Thanks, Adam. Unfortunately didn't have time to make it to the Hawker stalls. Did Victoria Peak and the folks I was with chose Din Tai Fung for dinner

Wandering Aramean likes this.