24/7 Wall Street says American Airlines will disappear in 2013

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by ceieoc, Aug 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ceieoc

ceieoc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Each year, 24/7 Wall St. identifies 10 important American brands that we predict will disappear within a year. This year’s list reflects the brutally competitive nature of certain industries and the reason why companies cannot afford to fall behind in efficiency, innovation or financing. Read more.
    I see this story was originally published June 21, 2012 but msn.com was linking to this article today.
    The story says:
    "American Airlines will disappear in 2013 because of its inefficiency. It was the premier carrier in the United States for almost 30 years — even surviving through periods when most other carriers went bankrupt. However, it lost its critical advantage of scale when Northwest merged with Delta (NYSE: DAL) and Continental merged with United (NYSE: UAL). Within two years, American became a medium-sized carrier."
    I hope American Airlines proves them wrong.

Travelsavant and jbcarioca like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd call this a nonsense story to attract clicks.

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    We have an existing thread on this topic already, but I don't have the will in me to track it down to be honest....

Regardless, the article is pretty ... basic. And even if AA does fall to it's biggest possible threat (US) at the moment, they've already gone on record as saying the AA name will live on while US Airways would fade away. The owner/management might change, but the name is hardly going to disappear.

4. ceieoc

ceieoc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also couldn't find that thread. I was surprised to see msn.com carried this story as new news today. Once I clicked on the link, I noticed that the article was originally published on June 21, 2012.

5. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seriously.

And on a related note, 24/7 Wall Street will also disappear in 2013 when it's found to be wrong, and overly sensational.

6. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's their track record so far?​

7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are curious, and bored, check them out. I wasted a few weeks reading their drivel before I suppressed them. Idiocy.

8. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:

Eh not that great

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    In Nov. 2011, Ericsson dumped its half of the Sony Ericsson mobile phone business, apparently aware of something that Sony (NYSE: SNE) has yet to realize — the smartphone industry is owned by Apple and Google’s (NASDAQ: GOOG) Android-run phones.

And there I thought SonyEricsson made Android phones. I guess those little details shouldn't stand in the way of some speculation, and "research" is way overrated anyway.

Travelsavant likes this.
  10. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here are the 24/7 choices for companies which would disappear in 2011: '24/7 Wall St. has created a new list of brands that will disappear, which includes Readers Digest, Kia Motors, Dollar Thrifty (NYSE: DTG), Zale (NYSE: ZLC), Blockbuster (NYSE: BBI), T-Mobile, BP plc (NYSE: BP), RadioShack (NYSE: RSH), Merrill Lynch, and Moody’s (NYSE: MCO)."

It's here: http://247wallst.com/2010/06/15/247-wall-st-ten-brands-that-will-disappear-in-2011/

All of those brands are still around and at least 7 of them are still independent, I believe. Not such a great record!

11. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    It didn't take much perspicacity to see that Saab was in financial trouble, but the "probably for little more than car parts" remark makes no sense, since the parts business was split off during the bankruptcy and is now an independent company, while NEVS focuses on bringing an all-electric Saab to market, likely in 2013/14 based on the current 9-3, and in 2015 based on the still-being-developed Phoenix platform, which shows much promise.

The other AA (whose logo and font I think is almost identical to our AA) has been teetering financially for years now, so again no great insight needed. I sure hope AA makes it, because I really like the idea of clothing where the workers are paid and treated fairly, and made in the U.S.

12. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, United's name survived the merger, but it's clearly Continental.....and that's like comparing a fine Bordeaux with Two Buck Chuck.

Travelsavant likes this.
  13. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm hoping that AA will make it through this bankruptcy & be able to say: "reports of our demise have been greatly exaggerated!"

Max M, ceieoc and anabolism like this.
  14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    But the name didn't disappear, which is all I was saying. Management & culture changes, name stays. Same as what happened to United.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not to take this off topic, but I'd be curious to read your reviews of that fine Bordeaux some two or three years ago, prior to the merger. :)