23,500 American AAdvantage Miles for opening a checking account

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by serion, Nov 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. serion

serion Silver Member

Status Points:
    Via Mr Pickles, you can earn 23,500 miles for opening up a Citi checking account.

I just closed my Citi account last month (Oct). Is it too soon to open another account and still qualify for this promo? Also, does anyone know if after two months I can downgrade the checking account and still qualify?

iolaire and alohastephen like this.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's going to be much harder to avoid fees these days. The Citi Gold account has huge minimum account limit to keep huge account free. So unless you have something like $50k to use - be careful.

miles and smiles, viguera and cvsara like this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, but it's still cheaper "by comparison" when you think about it.

The Citigold account is $30 a month but free for the first two months, so even if you have to do a direct deposit right away and keep the account open for 3 additional months to get the miles, you're still looking at 23,500 miles for $90.

By comparison, buying the miles from AA cost $600+

I have a Citi account that I'm planning to close as soon as they send me the dreaded "new debit card" without the AA logo. I wonder whether or not I can upgrade my account or close/open a new one with this promo code and get the miles... :)

iolaire likes this.
  4. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Citi is notoriously slow in posting miles. Might take 3 additional months, might take more.
    Citi is often a real pain to deal with.
    I would check very carefully to see if there are any other fees.
    I did one of these promos once, and I will never do one again. It was not worth the hassle.
    If you are going to do this, do some serious research, so you know what you are getting into with Citi.

P.S. From what I learned on FT, I got off pretty easy when I did a similar promo with Citi, yet I still won't touch this one. I have read some real horror stories from others.

HaveMilesWillTravel and BWIflyer like this.
  5. BWIflyer
    Original Member

BWIflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This was a targetted offer. Can I get it by using the offer code mentioned by Mr. Pickles.

6. serion

serion Silver Member

Status Points:
    It 'should' work as long as you have the Citi AAvantage credit card.