1. FORUMS NOW IN SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE

The forums will be read only during the maintenance window.
    We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll remove this notice once the maintenance is completed. The window is anticipated to be 1-3 days.

2019 Altitude Enhancements

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by YULtide, Nov 9, 2018 at 6:57 AM.

1. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not much change in the cards for 2019, by the look of it. There only appear to be two changes.
    • Early recognition of status is being extended to P25K.
    • Lower requalification will be extended to all Elite levels from E50K up.
    By the look of things, either AC feels the programme is pretty much exactly where it should be, or they've been distracted by the Aeroplan negotiations and preparing for 2020.

mevlannen likes this.
  2. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    ...or there is still another shoe to drop (though I doubt it).

By the sound of it one nice thing about the lower requalification is that it no longer will just apply to your current level - currently if you were E75K this would lower your mileage needs to 70,000 to re-qualify for E75K but you'd still need 50,000 for E50K and 100,000 for SE. Now it looks like the reduction will apply to whatever status level you land at.

londoncalling, mevlannen and YULtide like this.
  3. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the new lower requalification system applying to all levels does sound nice. However, the AQD required makes me wonder how useful that is in practice. This would be nice for an E50K who manages to squeeze out 70k AQM and $9000 AQD, or an E75K who cuts back on travel, but still manages 45k miles and at least comes away with E50K status for the next year. But spending $20,000 on 95k miles to get SE seems a stretch to me. It's doable with enough paid premium cabin flights, but I don't imagine too many manage it.

Maybe I'm wrong. Or just too cheap.

londoncalling and mevlannen like this.
  4. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 95 (now 126 and counting) segments were easy; the $20K net spend (AQDs not even close to the full ticket prices) was not.

However, the YEG concierge was downright bouncy when she reported to me that she had looked-up my passenger record (of that particular day a few weeks ago) and discerned that I had clicked the figurative odometer over into SE-land.

(By the bye, this thing seems to be working again....)

londoncalling and YULtide like this.
  5. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    I assume there are no changes to the ECert/UG part of the program.

YULtide and mevlannen like this.
  6. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Gold Member

Status Points:
    None observed thus far.

I haven't had cause to attempt e-upgrades lately (being as how once again the cost of J-fares has dropped to something approaching sanity), but I plan to burn a whack of e-ups next month when I make a holiday trip to BOS.

Still waiting anxiously to see what the 2019 programme info page will look like. 2016, 2017, and 2018 pages are still up on the Altitude site, but my attempts to directly summon-up a 2019 page (at a similar URL to the others) gets a 'File not found' error.

YULtide and londoncalling like this.