1. FORUMS NOW IN SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE

The forums will be read only during the maintenance window.
    We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll remove this notice once the maintenance is completed. The window is anticipated to be 1-3 days.

2018 Thoughts Moving Forward

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by PaulOnion, Dec 29, 2017.

?

Which Airline would you fly starting Jan 1st?

1. Allegiant

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. American

26.3%
  3. Delta

21.1%
  4. Frontier

5.3%
  5. Jetblue

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Southwest

15.8%
  7. Spirit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. United

26.3%
  9. Alaska

5.3%
  10. Hawaiian

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PaulOnion

PaulOnion Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thought about posting something like this seeking other peoples thoughts about how to pursue the points and miles game in 2018.

But then, having considered what a convoluted mess this has all become, I would suspect that most people involved ( If any ) are pretty much flowing the direction that $ pushes them.

Still I'd be interested in hearing what folks think about the following question.

" If you had never set foot on an aircraft , or stayed a single night in a hotel or private property prior to January 1, 2018, Which program would you feel provides you ( not your corporate expense sheet, not your DNC sponsored travel pig ) YOU the most potential benefits moving forward? "

Because let's face it, Life's a gamble ... Nothing's guaranteed except Death and Lower Taxes under the current regime than the last.

Have a Happy New Year!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Benefits? That would depend on how much flying you anticipate. In any case, routemap and price have always at minimum severely narrowed the field, and will continue to do so.

Also, if I had never flown or stayed in a hotel before...everything would be awesome.

Counsellor and Dublin_rfk like this.
  3. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    How can anyanswer not be biased by our previous experiences?
    That said looking at routes and flight availability from the airport nearest to me and my work and vacation destinations and possible benefits I would choose United.
    Picking a hotel is actually harder. Both Hilton and Marriott (listed alphabetically) offer everything I look for in a hotel (and chain), worldwide coverage, a wide variety of classes of hotel from discount to outlandish luxury. Both are (mostly) reputable, customer friendly, and easy to gain status. If I had to choose one today and start at zero I would go with Hilton.

4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless this is a business travel only survey there should be an option for whichever is cheapest or has the award availability I need....

YULtide and Counsellor like this.
  5. JoyfulTraveler

JoyfulTraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    My loyalties are changing for this year. In the air: I gave up on United after flying 2 million miles with them. I switched to a much better airline, Delta, in every way except for the award program. I have found it very difficult or miles expensive to get the award travel that I want. Since I purchase first class, airline status does nothing for me on a trip - it is only useful for rewards. So now I will fly the best combination of route and price with no loyalty. Alaska Airlines with their new routes will now be my first look.

As for hotels I will stick with Marriott (convenience) and Hyatt (best overall rewards program). However, I have added Omni as my first go-to choice. They present the best combination of luxury and attention to elite guests.

6. rrobert

rrobert New Member

Status Points:
    It's interesting)

7. JaneJohnson

JaneJohnson New Member

Status Points:
    Some of his airlines i even did not know(((