2017 AA Status Check

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Pizzaman, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    2018 will be my first full year without EXP in a decade. As I was contemplating that, I wondered where everyone else stood for status qualification/re-qualification this year.

I'll finish the year with 28K EQMs and 5K EQDs. I already have lifetime Platinum status. It didn't make much sense to shoot for Plat Pro given the incremental difference in benefits. So, here I sit.

And you?

Sent from my iPhone using InsideFlyer mobile app

adrianors likes this.
  2. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    I became EXP when we had the OWMD in 2011 and lost that in Feb. 2017 after I switched jobs in 2016. Going from working remotely and being able to travel pretty much anytime to working 8-5 for 25 weeks killed most opportunities to take any trips longer than Chicago, Denver, etc.

Dropped to PLT in Feb. and was content, I suppose, though AA just keeps sliding downhill. Obviously upgrades are mostly useless for PLT, they’ve cut our LAX and LGA flights from MCI, Twitter CS is more often than not useless and lots of other, little things, just add up. Also, killing the AS partnership was a huge deal, as they now serve MCI from four different cities.

I just submitted and received a match to UA Gold and will work on getting Platinum with them next year. Already booked in J on the Island Hopper and am looking forward to what 2018 brings. I’ll drop to AA Gold and then I guess nothing in 2019...

3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I think you'll find UA Gold similarly useless to AA Plat. However, UA Plat has some decent value. You'll clear the occasional upgrade and your various award fees will be lower. Plus, award inventory to Europe is readily available.

4. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    The biggest difference, IMO, will be not buying stickers and then not clearing upgrades. I totally agree about award availability. Trying to book my return from the island hopper, I’ve struggled to find anything available on AA not in Y or AAnytime J. Finally snagged a JL F seat, but what a pain to do.

5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Fair point on buying stickers.

6. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Though, when you buy the first set of stickers and they don't clear, at least you don't have to buy them again for the next time they don't clear. :D

Sent from my iPhone using InsideFlyer

7. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Closing the year at 12.3k EQM, 120.4k EQM and 87 EQSs. Good year, was happy to have Plat Pro for a while as I got multiple upgrades without having to pay for the 500 mile upgrades.. first time EXP. Yay!

brodyf likes this.
  8. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will close @ ~$32K EQD, ~175K EQM, 168 EQM

Lots of travel this year and next year looks to be the same. At lease I've been upgraded on 80% of flights in the last 3 months!

brodyf and adrianors like this.
  9. rpaverd

rpaverd Active Member

Status Points:
    15,272 EQDs, 102.373 EQMs so EXP again..
    Also United Premier Platinum
    and Delta Platinum Medallion
    .........Maybe I travel too much?
    Do many of the readers have AA Concierge Key?

10. aaflyer54

aaflyer54 Active Member

Status Points:
    After being Gold for many years, had made Plat for first time for 2017. Didn't experience many benefits from that bump. Even with Plat rarely scored an upgrade. Barely qualified for Gold for 2018.

11. bucketlist
    Original Member

bucketlist Silver Member

Status Points:
    Doing a mini-mr today to top off to platinum pro by year's end.

Just don't see the value in EXP, at least not enuf to fly/spend the amount required.

Thought about returning to UA, but am somewhat embedded in AA w/ credit card and a large pile of rdm, which i'm starting to use.

Probably end up as a Kayaker in some sort of premium economy by the time 2019 rolls around...

12. hdporter

hdporter Active Member

Status Points:
    "Grounded" for 3 mo by local consulting project, making renewal of EXP a challenge. Redirecting spend to my Aviator card was required to core the 3000 EQD bonus. Well worth it, though -- my first full year as EXP saw strong upgrade success, love using SWU to lock in red eye FC at ticketing, and see high utility in free same-day confirmed itinerary chgs. Customer experience as EXP was exceptional.

Current tier renewal progress: $12k EQD, 80k EQM, 111 EQS.

Two remaining trips booked this month. Included connections (1 "superfluous") will meet the EQS threshold.

13. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am at 98,500 EQMs and about 10,500 EQD. Dont have enough time to do any more real travel so may do a mr to meet mileage And then just pay up but I hate to donate money that way. Don’t know what else to do.

flyforawg likes this.
  14. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will end in the neighborhood of 14kEQD(3k of that Barclay spend); 109k EQM; 76EQS.
    Interesting stats of note not including the remaining flights this year which won't move the needle much:
    71.36% of seat miles flown on upgrades (does not include any oddball purchased F)
    66.2% of segments upgraded
    9 flown segments in a row with no delay
    4 segments in a row with delays longest streak
    23.6% of flights with a delay (AA only, does not include AS, QF, or VR flights flown)

15. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you do some MS on the aviator card? Better than just cutting a check to AA and you get some miles in return.

Betty Boop likes this.
  16. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Requalified EXP for 2018. Still >85% on upgrades with AA this year (50% on UA as a Silver via Marriott-via-SPG...including to Hawaii)

flyforawg likes this.
  17. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    I took my last two flights of the year today. Ending up with
    EQD $32,590.
    EQM 180,609
    EQS 135

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

flyforawg and Betty Boop like this.
  18. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately don’t have the aviator card but guess I should consider for next year. Am thinking of a one day MR that will put me at 101+k miles and short of EQDs by about a 1000 unless I come up with another idea

flyforawg likes this.
  19. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can I borrow some? JK

brodyf and flyforawg like this.
  20. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    So it looks like I will book a D code ticket PVD-CLT-PVD for $792 EQDs and 2732 EQMs that puts me at 101,311 for miles and 11,048 for EQDs. I can only do a one day turn around. That is as close as I can get it seems.

21. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA sent out these cool 2017 Year in Review emails today.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess they don't want me to know my percentile. Probably 98%.

Sent from my SM-G955U using InsideFlyer mobile app

brodyf likes this.
  23. PaulOnion

PaulOnion Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Exact Moment that 200 million Americans figured out that America under Barrack .. ( and your STUPID Management ) sucked.

https://is.gd/oYCGsn

Along with 2018 .... the good version. Congratulations managed to piss off everyone capable of carrying your sorry butts.

https://is.gd/LnS3go

Anyways, good to see the TEAM back together. Show up in 2018 or get the heck out of the way. Oh and Stephan Curry sucks as well Cali . Seems none of you have ANY Problem with anyone named LEE on your corrupt train.

( In all fairness given the merger, I think there was a time frame there when NOBODY knew Who the heck was in charge, but Still ... get your head out of the sand Ollie Ostrich)

24. PaulOnion

PaulOnion Silver Member

Status Points:
    Name rank and serial number Sons & Daughters.

Name rank and serial.

https://is.gd/kdKx2Y

Non-stop talker, what a rocker!
    Blue-eyed murder in a size five dress

25. mre5765

mre5765 Silver Member

Status Points:
    $13,xxx EQDs, 100,xxx EQMs, 21 EQS. Status was re-earned in November (I had the EQDs, but thanks to useless BA canceling a an ATH/LHR business class segment, I was short 333 miles on EQMs and had to burn a Saturday morning on a MR).

In my year in review email, my percentile among EXPs was not revealed, but I proud of my $50 saved checking bags. Meaning I guess I checked bags twice on AA (and AA managed to misconnect the bag while it was running an experiment where EXPs had to tag their own bags).

AA miles are pretty useless. I do like the F class OW lounges Emerald gives me, and it is nice when an SWU clears. Most of my premium long haul travel is on CX and MH.

I've no desire to go back to *A, ever, though I do like redeeming miles on M+. Lifetime *G is good enough.