2016 Altitude Enhancements

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by YULtide, Nov 13, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Time to start pondering the enhancements for next year. Looking back in old threads, it seems that the 2015 enhancements were announced on 23 October last year. Three weeks later in the year now and still no news. So, any speculation as to what's coming? And, for bonus points, when will we hear?

Absolute99 likes this.
  2. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since no one else is offering ideas, here's a starter. E35K will be upgraded to P35K with no lounge access except for lounge passes. E50K will be upgraded to Star Alliance Silver. Number of upgrade certificates per Altitude level will be reduced by 20% and the number required per upgrade will be increased by 20%. There will be a new SE125K status level.

Any other ideas?

3. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    1. No change, hence no need to announce early
    or
    2. E-upgrades only work from higher Flex fares if they want to keep squeezing

Absolute99 and YULtide like this.
  4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Retiring next year. All flights will be up front revenue. No need to Upgrades. They have whittled it down so much I will no longer fly AC unless it is the best cost effective flight for where I want to go.

[Sent from my Tapatalk enabled IPhone]

mevlannen and YULtide like this.
  5. Absolute99

Absolute99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although I'm hoping for that, I can't recall a recent year where there weren't at least some changes.

On my side, I'm putting off booking some of my 2016 trips until I hear confirmation from AC. Although I'll still make SE100K, where or not I try the same for 2017 is undetermined.

YULtide likes this.
  6. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    The hint I have received is that no real changes are planned and I have no real idea what that means.

YULtide likes this.
  7. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    What more can they do to the program? E-upgrade earnings have already been reduced and the number needed increased. Premium award mileage is going up next month. Lower tier elites can't access preferred seating on many fares. Price of Flex fares have increased on most routes over Tango fares. E35K was downgraded and E50K introduced, lounge access policy altered for E35Ks. (No international MLL lounge access with vouchers.) Considering what elite benefits were 10 years ago, not much left for other than SEs.

The Lev and mevlannen like this.
  8. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    That being the case it would be easy enough to post the 2016 benefits. Quick edit.

mevlannen likes this.
  9. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let;s check the Magic 8-Ball:

"Good-bye!"

Hmm. Programme goes away altogether?

YULtide likes this.
  10. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, YULtide, I clearly was wrong in my prediction that the Altitude programme was about to go away altogether, as overnight, Air Canada's robots sent me a message welcoming me to renewed SE status for year-2016.

Remains to be seen whether substantial changes are about to occur. I suppose that it's all moot anyway, as retirement now comes in three weeks and five days (and counting!).

YULtide likes this.
  11. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad to hear you were wrong on that one. After this trip I should squeak in to SE for 2016. I guess the robots will inform me in a couple of weeks once the points are posted.

Still waiting for any indication of the enhancements....

12. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    One more trip and I will pass SE once again. Hoping it will be my last year. Too much effort now. As such, really do not care what the enhancements are to be honest

13. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Status is only useful if you're going to use the benefits by flying, of course, and you have to fly to maintain the status. Vicious circle or virtuous circle depending on your perspective. For me, at my stage, it's more the latter. Still another dozen plus years to retirement for me, so I may as well enjoy the ride as much as possible under the conditions.

14. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed on all your points. No status. No benefits.

15. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought you were about to become our transpacific raconteur rather than queen of the egg beaters.

mevlannen and londoncalling like this.
  16. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like I am about to become queen of the rose-garden, once the weather gets good enough to start mucking about in the garden.

On a less-cheerful note, just saw thia announcement from Air Canada, regarding minimum spend requirements: http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan/altitude/updates.html

By that standpoint, I'd have requalled for SE by spend as well as by segments, but **just** barely-so. Next year's AC spend is liable to be markedly less than $20K, probably more like $1K. Not kidding, there: the float-planes are liable to get most of my business once I have retired to my foggy little island in Salishaan.

I don't utterly rule out overseas work, but there's nothing firm in my order-book, and I have (on the other hand) an open offer to come work as an emiritus for one of the civil-service scientific groups. Hence floatyplanes rather than zoomyjets, most likely.

canucklehead and ACMM like this.
  17. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank-you for sharing that update - glad my plans at this time do not include SE again for 2017!

mevlannen likes this.
  18. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    (Curtseys gracefully)

Dear ACMM, would that I had not such ill-starred news to have passed onward, but far better it is, to know the nature of the monster lurking under the Revenue Management desks.

I've lost track of how many years I had an SE card; it's been a few. Years ago, before I started to travel so frequently, I held an annual Maple Leaf card, such as would get me through the doors of the (then much-smaller) clubrooms. It was handy enough to have, and ever since I have found the clubrooms useful as an office-away-from-office. Retirement, of course, changes that in odd and (as-yet-) unpredictable ways.

My takeaway from the enactment of AQDs is that, regardless of my level of ongoing business with AC. I'm not the customer that they are looking for. Can't say that I blame them: all of those tins of tomato-juice quaffed over breakfast must have really hurt their bottom line.

YULtide and ACMM like this.
  19. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Air Canada and their Elite program is for current travelers only and not past travelers and their support for the company. That is blatantly obvious to me. I get more benefit from my AX platinum card and the very happy visits to the Centurion lounges. I would rather fly anyone but AC and use the Centurion Lounges instead - that to me is the better part of the trip :)

mevlannen likes this.
  20. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm. Have never yet seen the inside of a Centurion Lounge (I'm not even a Decurion, let alone a Centurion), although I am fluent in both classical Latin and Church Latin.

I'd agree with you that past custom matters little; outside of the pages of Orwell's 1984, the past is a forgotten land indeed. I'd also agree that the various networks of clubrooms help to embetter the overall experience of a journey, altho' I'd not dare go quite so far as to aver that the lounges would be the better part of the trip.

Tell you what: guest me in to the Centurion Lounge (I promise that I shan't carve my initials in the furniture) and then I shall be full pleased to render judgement for myself.

Day's pleasance to you!

/mevs

YULtide and ACMM like this.
  21. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you at SFO in a week or so? Francis and Michael make the best vespers ;)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  22. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ay caramba those are steep $ quals on AC!

tommy777, YULtide and ACMM like this.
  23. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    For SE, $20K is steep (I assume AQD will be based on fares and not on total ticket cost). $9K for E75K is not so much, though. I expect my SE days may end on Feb 28, 2017.

YULtide, canucklehead and ACMM like this.
  24. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Article says cost not fares.

canucklehead likes this.
  25. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    What pisses me off with this is I have pre-purchased a bunch of my 2016 flying already. I get the impression that they may only be tracking flights purchased AND flown starting Jan 1.

Hope I'm wrong and that they will track spend on tickets bought in 2015 but flown in 2016.

canucklehead and ACMM like this.