2015 mileageplus changes and Copa relationship changes

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Nov 19, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Newscience likes this.
  2. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oops...I thought they announce "changes" on Friday nights?

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Which part of "announcement friendly" did you not understand? :)

stephenbgarvan, Newscience and snod08 like this.
  4. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL!
    Lots of benefit changes....errr.. reductions....... announced today by UA

5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's usually when they lay people off... :eek:

stephenbgarvan and snod08 like this.
  6. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    :eek::eek: indeed

Newscience likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Looking at the time stamps of the various threads on FT, UA Insider only came out to "announce" the changes after Flyertalkers had already discovered and discussed the changes as they appeared on the MP website. (and of course s/he didn't even make an appearance here). So... not really sure that we should read much into the "Wednesday" date.

Newscience and stephenbgarvan like this.
  8. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    - Well the Copa one makes sense, I'd guess they didn't want to follow the "Reveue" mileage earnings?

- Gold down to 2 bags @ 70, that doesn't seem horrible. I don't think I've ever checked 3 bags, I have occasionally checked 2 but never 3.

- status inheritance, I certainly understand this, but it does make me sad. I basically use my miles for my Mom and Dad and family. I don't use miles for myself very frequently. (and when I do for myself I always book F or J :) ) This was a nice perk that they could get E+ and free bags but I did realize from a long long time ago... this was never a feature, it was a system bug. So now I have to make my Mom and Dad more saavy to bring backs on-board and jam them into the bin. Since they will be in group that may not have room, they will have to most likely gate check them through. Or I can book them F which I have also done occasionally if they were going long-haul.

======
    I posted on FT, when they fix their bugs that effect UA and their $$$ it would be SURE nice to fix the RPU issues. It happens all the time, I don't clear RPU list. Wind up on the "CPU" list at 6-or-7 and then miss the upgrade. Now I call in to remove the RPU if I know I won't get just before I board the plane. The RPU issues are crap and they should fix it. I have a RPU for Saturday. There were 6 seats a few days back now I see only 2 seats left. I "change the date" on the iPad to the flight date (the flight status on iOS app is based on ipad system date), check the upgrade list and sure enough there are tons of upgrades, no doubt some of them are GS CPUs. Dissapointed.

Newscience likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have never checked three bags on a domestic flight. I have never upgraded with miles on a PS flight (in fact, I am probably the only 1K who has only flown one PS ever... my wife, 1K by MM inheritance, would be the only 1K with zero PS experience). And I have never flown on Copa.

But the mere fact that the cuts keep coming with no noticeable improvements elsewhere is, of course, a matter of concern no matter of how these impact me. Had my first four AS segments last weekend, and it was overall a pleasant experience as a kettle with no status. Time to sign up for their credit card, apply for a status match, and shift some travel...

10. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:

I've flown AS as a non-elite (sent miles to DL account) and it was a pleasure and since I could put in my TSA Pre number in I got TSA Precheck, AS is a good airline, wonder how long that will last though.

Agree 95% "But the mere fact that the cuts keep coming with no noticeable improvements elsewhere is..." The short-haul food in F has gotten better but that's it.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yup, pre-check worked beautifully for me. I recently spent a few minutes adding our prescreened traveler numbers to our various accounts, and so far it's been working fine on my VX and AS trips.

No special meal means often no food for me. That said, I don't think I have been on any food-serving domestic flights on UA this year. Have a transcon coming up in December that I got upgraded (RPU).

Newscience and mht_flyer like this.
  12. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    image.jpg Read this gem on Twitter UA Twitter says only "slight" changes with Copa ha ha

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  13. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry the picture is so big, I posted it from my iPhone. I changed it to a thumbnail. Seems like no middle of the ground to post the image, either it's huge or tiny from my iPhone.

14. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope. One PS flight for me, too. I went well out of my way just so I could say I have done it. Memorable, in good ways and bad, and I'm glad I did it.

That is pretty laughable, even for UA.

I am not surprised by CM's departure, but I am surprised by the timing. Someone knowledgeable once posted that their contract with M+ ran out some time in 2015, so I figured they would take off on their own on 1/1/2016. I guess they decided that they wanted out at the first opportunity.

As a regular Copa flyer and big fan, they were the only reason I had to remain affiliated with M+. I'm liking my decision to move to the dAArk side more every day. Now I can earn the miles and status on the airlines I actually want to fly! If I were planning on staying with UA, this would have been a huge disappointment, but now.... :)

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Wonder if they will allow customers like you to move their UA MP miles over to the new program.

Newscience, mht_flyer and KenInEscazu like this.
  16. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just guessing, of course, but I doubt it. Because they are still *A after their departure, all of us will still have the ability to book their flights through UA. What they are doing is giving status based on our history of flying CM within M+.

From Copa's web site:

"MileagePlus will continue to be Copa Airlines’ loyalty program until the end of June 2015. On July 2015, members of the new Copa Airlines loyalty program will begin earning miles toward qualification for preferred status. We will review previous travel on Copa with MileagePlus for initial preferred status recognition. Members will be able to move up in status in the new program as they fly using their new frequent flyer number."

And...

"Your trips on Copa Airlines will count toward qualifying for preferred status in the program as of July 2015.

For the status earned from flights on Copa Airlines in the first half of 2015, Copa will evaluate your activity and offer an appropriate status.

Since the new program will begin mid-year in 2015, Copa Airlines will extend the period for qualifying for preferred status until December 2016, i.e., you will have 18 months from the launch of the program to retain and enhance your initial status placement.

As you achieve new status thresholds, your new status and associated benefits will be applied immediately."

18 months is pretty alluring to some folks who may have been flying the competition with no status, too. It will certainly be interesting as more of their plan is revealed.

My biggest fear is that CM's IT makes UA's IT look state-of-the-art, cutting edge cool. Their web site has done some of the same idiotic errors for years, and they don't seem to be paying attention. Lifemiles gets enough criticism for their poor IT implementation, but I fear they may be better than Copa unless this decision is in unison with a commitment to open their wallet to top shelf IT experts - and fast.

Newscience likes this.
  17. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    So United Insider said on FT that emails were going out today did anyone get one?

18. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Someone on FT posted that a new thread/sticky should be created "Good News from UA insider" on FT. What about one here?:D

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well... yes, indeed I did get an email today (like most days, it seems) and if you look very closely towards the end you find this:

mp_updates.png

Flyer1976 and mht_flyer like this.
  20. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually I did get that and I deleted it just dug it out of the trash folder. I was thinking we'd get a real update for this, Not just a "phrase with a link" at the very bottom of the email.... :(

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  21. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only 1k? Nah. I have over 400 segments on UA in the last 6 years, most of them as 1k, but none on P.S. :p

22. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll add to that.....not one ps flight

mht_flyer and Flyer1976 like this.
  23. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll add to that as well in 750k of flying with CO/UA I have never taken one revenue P.S flight.

I think it's somewhat disappointing that we can't move our mileage balance over to Copa's new FF Program.

mht_flyer likes this.
  24. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes. I would have never seen it if you hadn't asked about an email. I don't real the near daily email spam from UA (and others). I would bet that is true for many (most) recipients.

mht_flyer likes this.
  25. stephenbgarvan

stephenbgarvan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Almost always checked 3 coming home- so this is a terrible blow to me- maybe Million Milers still get 3? don't see that addressed anywhere?