2014/2015 Scheme for Paying Rent?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by SeanLJ, Sep 14, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. SeanLJ

SeanLJ Member

Status Points:
    I've done some research, and tried a few things, but I'm out of ideas... and I'm wondering if anyone has any recent schemes for earning miles when paying rent (emphasis on recent, as it seems these things change quickly)!

The Bluebird.com scheme doesn't work because you can no longer buy cash cards like Vanilla Reload with a miles credit card to load into Bluebird. Williampaid is also a no-go because the percentage they charge on transactions is too high to make it worth it (I live in San Francisco, and rent is HIGH).

If I could find a way to do this, it would be a huge boost to my travel hacking plans.

Thoughts? Thanks!

PS: If you're just going to reply and say "this is discussed elsewhere, do a better search," then be a peach and provide a link to the info!

2. rodc

rodc Active Member

Status Points:
    If you can still find a Wally that allows GC loads to BB you can still buy GC with a CC at some locations here in the Bay Area. I'm down the Peninsula, so it may be a little different down here.

3. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can still put visa giftcards on BB as long as they aren't vanilla. These can be purchased online, at some office supply stores, (if you have a chase business card), or even grocery stores. It depends how much you are willing to spend for the points. It's not likely that you will earn money from loading BB, but you might be able to earn points fairly inexpensively.

4. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Buy SMGC, take them to a Kroger's, 69 cents get you a $1,000.00,

Pay your rent...with the MO.

5. SeanLJ

SeanLJ Member

Status Points:
    Help me out here...

CC = credit card
    BB = Bluebird account
    Wally = Walmart

GC = ?
    SMGC = ?
    MO = ?

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending how you look it), Walmarts are not close to where I live. And I haven't seen a Kroger since I moved to the west coast, but there are Safeways all over the place.

6. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    No option to pay directly with a credit card? I was able to do this in my dinky little apartment complex in Alabama... I would have thought San Francisco would have that option. Or are you renting from someone directly?

7. SeanLJ

SeanLJ Member

Status Points:
    Nope, can't pay with credit card. Demand is high in SF. Landlords don't have to do anything. Love the city. Hate everything about housing here. I won't even tell you what I pay for rent.

vickers likes this.
  8. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    GC = Gift Card
    SMCG = uh.................. ;)
    MO = Money Order

9. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Simon Mall Gift Card. Basically these are gift cards sold at Simon Malls which have a VERY low purchase fee. Although they are Simon Mall branded they can be used like any other gift card. Unfortunately I don't live near a Simon mall, or practically anything else either!

vickers likes this.
  10. sheikkila02

sheikkila02 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Vanilla branded gift cards still worked for me last weekend. Had to do the mastercard workaround but they worked. Are they no longer working? (I could probably figure this out at flyertalk but I really don't want to wade through that thread again...)

11. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gowallet (MetaBank) works. At least in the East.

12. SeanLJ

SeanLJ Member

Status Points:
    It's possible I'm not understanding a few of the options offered above, so forgive me if that's the case.

This is my understanding, and I challenge anyone to correct me with recent, personal experience on the subject ;-). I would love to figure this out.
    1. You cannot load money into a BlueBird account (or other, similar bill payment services), with a credit card.
    2. You can load money into a BlueBird account with a "cash" or debit card.
    3. You can't buy a "cash" gift card with a credit card anymore (at least not in the USA).
    4. I have to assume that most of these other cards that are being suggested are gift "credit" cards, not cash cards, so they won't work.
    5. If I physically go to a Walmart or a Simon Mall, maybe there's a slight-possible-chance at buying a "cash" card with credit, or loading money directly into BlueBird with a credit card (don't know Simon Mall and don't have a Walmart nearby.)
    @bigx0 - I see GoWallet.com, but it's unclear to me... how does this fit into the scheme, exactly?

@sheikkila02 - What is the "mastercard workaround?"

13. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are Visa or MasterCard gift cards you can buy with credit cards available all over the place. Officemax, Grocery stores, BJs and many many more places. It's just that the fee charged usually makes it too expensive to do so.
    No, you can't load money directly from a CREDIT card onto Bluebird. A Visa or Mastercard gift card, generally yes.
    That's one of the brands of gift cards you can buy with a credit card for a relatively low fee.

14. sheikkila02

Status Points:
    1) You can, online. The limits are pretty meager, but it can be done with mastercard or visa for points.
    2) Yes.
    3) You can, as noted above by bigx0.
    4) I don't know that there is a difference, for this purpose the terms are interchangeable.
    5) When you go into a walmart (or family dollar) you can load bluebird with a debit or gift card.

As I understand it, the mastercard workaround essentially involves hitting "change payment" after swiping but before entering pin. For visas this move is unnecesary, but for mastercards it has been an issue.

15. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have a Simon Mall, buy their VISA GIFT VARDS, you can also buy then via mail.

$500 2.95, so 1,000 fist you 6.00, set a pin get a Money Order, 69 cents,
    1,000 plus points $7.00, 10,000 $70.00,

Helps meet the initial spend on a CC.

UNITED Club Card gives 1.5, so 15,000 for $70.00, round trip J to PEK, for $700.00 cheap in my book...

Works for me...

sheikkila02 likes this.
  16. sheikkila02

Status Points:
    Ha, that would work for ANYone! :) But the lack of a simon mall in or around NYC is a tragedy that will not be fixed.

satman40 likes this.
  17. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Send me your credit card, will be more than glad to run it up...:p

curiousgeorge, anileze and vickers like this.
  18. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Serve allows you to load $1000 a month via credit card, or $1500 a month if you have a phone with Softcard. Then you pay your rent (or other bills) via Serve.

19. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many of my tenants pay with quick pay from Chase, they do have a $2,000 limit, so we often get 2 checks.

Serve also has a check feature, and I use it to pay one if the support team member.

Every little bit helps, and it all does add up.