2012 status qualifications

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by igloocoder, Jul 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure there are a tonne of people out there that have qualified for E and SE already. Figured I'd start a thread where you could state that you have, what flight segment you did it on and any other interesting data analysis about your qualification process.

Qualifying for SE today on AC619.
    Time to qualify: ~7 months (approximate 7 weeks of that where I didn't do revenue travel)
    Segments to qualify: 83 (81 in J, 2 in Y on one cabin planes)
    Longest segment: YUL-YEG (1850 miles)
    Redeyes: 17
    All 83 qualifying flights were domestic.

After qualifying this way, and hardly being able to feel my arse anymore, I don't envy those that qualify on 500 minimums and/or segments in CRJs....although I'll probably hit 150 segments this year....sigh...

unclepants likes this.
  2. PtsHawg
    Original Member

PtsHawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry we missed each other--you must have posted this in the MLL while I was there posting on FT. Yesterday marked my 90th segment. I am taking holidays for a while though, so the threshold will need to wait for a few weeks yet. To your other point, most of my trips are 500 miles although I do go out of my way to minimize CRJ segments.

3. I will pass SE on my next European trip next week on 47 segments.

4. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Already crossed 100K, 80% AC metal rest LH, BD, TK and TAP. Not sure what my final AE tally will be. (Will also cross 100K in MP by October though.)

5. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    At about 87K at the moment (on 39 segments, not envious at all of your guys' segment counts!), most of them in Y -- eight segments upgraded on eUpgrades, and about the same (all short-haul) on op-ups. Will likely cross 100K is September or October on my next NRT jaunt.

6. Exit Row
    Original Member

Exit Row Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will re-qualify for SE on Aug 11, YYC-YYZ. Will have 63 segs.

Longest segment of the year...YYZ-YYC. Shortest...YXU-YYZ.

7. MillionMile
    Original Member

MillionMile Active Member

Status Points:
    Hit 112,739 June 29th. Now what to do with 160 e-upgrades?

8. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have the exact same issue. I've been using a Latitude flight pass this year and only eUpgrading on busy travel weeks/weekends. I've yet to burn through the original 40 credit allotment in the SE package. With paper certs I would have just upgraded some lucky anonymous people (usually a soldier) at the gate. That just can't be done this year so I suspect I'll be in the running for the "person with the most unused credits at the end of the year" award.

I understand AC/APs need to protect against selling of upgrades and other such things. I wish there was some way to be generous too. Last year my experience upgrading people wearing the relish was unbelievable. Seeing child like excitement and genuine gratitude from the Private Bloggins of the world made some of my 150+ segments more bearable.

9. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe you could save your employer some money, buy a few T+ passes and start using your eCredits? If anything, using eCredits to upgrade others is easier than ever since you don't have to be traveling with them. (I'm surprised you could find people flying on Latitude fares to upgrade with your Blues. Most times I've tried the gate agent tells me everyone's on plain old Tango fares.) Maybe you could find some family and friends to upgrade on their trips. I know that's what I do with my surplus UA CR1s which I don't need any more since we automatically get upgraded to F on NAmerican flights.

10. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    None of my family travels at all. My friends are traveling about one time per year which, with a fixed four person list, limits your ability to burn credits. My employer is me, myself and I so I can't be spreading to other employees. Because of contracts, I'm locked into Latitude passes so i can't grab a T+ pass.

I never had a problem with gate agents and certs. I'd offer whatever color the wanted, and multiple of them if that would help. Even the hardest YYZ agents softened up when you were at the podium with a guy in his combats. I even had a couple insist on taking no certs even after stating that the soldier was on a Tango ticket. In the end it usually worked out well for AC; they got a cert out of circulation, people in the gate area thought they were nice for upgrading a soldier, and someone went back home or to the shacks raving about how cool ACs biz class was.

As far as I can tell there is no creative way to do this kind of thing anymore. The required name on a list has killed it. In some ways its very frustrating to see the summer upgrade promo being run, and yet I am not able to make any, let alone effective, use of the regular upgrade system.

11. MillionMile
    Original Member

MillionMile Active Member

Status Points:
    I also miss the random upgrades at the airport. Upgrading some poor soul 6,000 miles from home who has the wrong colour of certificate and is begging at the counter. Bumping into an old friend or colleague and catching up on the plane. Or on that rare occasion when you meet someone in the lounge, are having a great conversation and offer to upgrade them at the last minute. Now all of that fun is gone.

Sure I’ve nominated some of the guys at work who do North American travel, but it is such a hassle because they will have to come to me to do the upgrades when they need some e-credits. Who knows where in the world I’ll be when that moment happens. What If they can’t get me right away and they lose the seat because of that. But then again, I don’t have to be at the airport traveling with them to use the e-upgrades.

As for the idea of buying T+ to save my employer some money. Most of my travel time is on week-ends so that I’m where I need to be during the week. If I have to sit on a plane for 8 to 16 hours on my own time I’m not going to be playing any lottery with my business trips hoping my outbound or return flight upgrade clears. When you figure Latitude and Z fares are almost the same price and sometimes cheaper on Z, I’ll pay for my seat. My employer is simply happy that I’m where I need to be on time.

En-Route and southender like this.