2012 rules: What if the 2 have different rules in 2011?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by davidbbrenner, Nov 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. davidbbrenner

davidbbrenner Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good morning all,

I frequently fly a NAP-MUC-IAD itinerary on Lufthansa. When I go on business, on a Y fare, it doesn't matter whether I use my Continental OnePass or United frequent flyer number - both get 100% EQMs (plus some bonus miles for elite status).

But I just flew on my own dime (L- class) on a similar itinerary, and the mileage credit is very different between the two when on L class: Continental only gives half of the miles on Lufthansa L class as EQMs, and United gives 100% of those as EQMs. A significant difference on a 5,000 mile itinerary.

Do we know yet how the partner airlines will be accounting in 2012? I am certainly hoping they use United's more generous plan, at least as it is on Lufthansa.

Thanks!

2. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is one of the many things about the new program that we don't yet know. Incidentally, CO is more generous on some and UA on others.

3. davidbbrenner

Status Points:
    Good to know. Let me ask this - United said they'd put the flight back under them after-the-fact, I just have to have Continental un-post the mileage and let United know. Is that going to be a tough thing to get done with Continental? If it matters, the flights originally had he UA number on it, and I am Star Gold/UA prem exec.

4. P.S.

P.S. Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have had the reverse done with little difficulty. A flight I wanted to post to CO posted to UA. It was simple: called UA to remove the credit for the flight, then called CO to claim the credit.

5. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's already announced that the "New MileagePlus" will be effective in 2012, so one would assume that a unified earnings chart would exist.

No idea which chart will prevail, and since neither program has a fully up-to-date chart now (for example, TK A is now a premium economy fare but lists like an F fare on both OP and MP charts) I'd imagine there will be some uncertainty and strangeness right a first.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last I heard they are "still working on it" when it comes to partner earning charts. We're now at about 40 days from the new year so this missing information is most unfortunate. It is certainly skewing my travel booking (or seeing me postpone various bits of it) pending clarity on some issues.

7. davidbbrenner

Status Points:
    True, but that's why they gave themselves until "some time in the 1Q of 2012" - maybe it's the US Congress' "Super-committee" that is trying to come up with the new chart, and if they can't agree, everyone gets 50% of the miles they earn.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  8. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If that is the case 50% of your flights you will get miles and the other 50% will cost you miles for a net milage total of 0. :)

Flyer1976 likes this.