2012 olympics tickets

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by darkhunter, Mar 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. darkhunter
    Original Member

darkhunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, so does anyone know a way to kinda fake the requierments to buy tickets online?

It says you have to have a European address to order tickets, otherwise you have to go through a 3rd party that your country deals with and pay surcharges and extra hassle, etc.

Is there anyway that someone from the USA could maybe somehow fake it and get tickets online directly? Are there maybe any services that offer a European mailing address and then forward on to you or something like that? Or would the USA billing address on the credit card screw it all up.

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas ?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fortunately I live in Europe. Some friends asked about my buying tickets for them, but it seems very tricky and you can't guarantee the price since you don't know what level seating you will eventually get.

darkhunter and jbcarioca like this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    No problem. there are Mailboxes etc in several places, as well as others like them. Rent a mailbox and you have the address. I am told, but have no direct experience, that the foreign billing address is not a problem. For many credit card online transactions billing/shipping must match so check that.

Stimpy does point out the big problem. You don't know your price until you know the seating.

darkhunter likes this.
  4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    And this to me is a huge barrier. I cannot understand the logic of this at all.

5. Richard Chen
    Original Member

Richard Chen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I bought tickets for the last Olympics and a requirement for claiming the tickets by will call is to present your passport. I can't recall the purchasing details last year and don't recall whether I had to submit passport info though I'm going to play it safe again.

An intriguing question, though, as I wonder the same.

lin821, darkhunter and jbcarioca like this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would be a killer if European nationality is required. That is not at all clear, is it? I thought it was just a European address.[​IMG]

darkhunter likes this.
  7. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    The wording on the site is that it is for European residents. And I'll bet that the Olympic organizers would have preferred only UK residents, but that would be a violation of EU law as I understand it.

8. Raffles
    Original Member

Raffles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Correct. Some people in the UK are not happy that, in return for funding all this, ticket sales cannot be restricted, at least initially, to UK residents.

That said, given that the best opening ceremony seats are £2,012 ($3,000), there may be a few spare ones knocking about for non-Europeans.

(On the other hand, it would have benefitted me if Paris had won, since I could have bought a ticket and nipped over with not much more trouble than it will take to get across London, with the added benefit of saving £10bn of taxpayers money!)

darkhunter likes this.
  9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understand the point- however someone might want to remind UK residents that the last few Olympics have NOT sold out (summer OR winter)- and so opening the pool to more people may help in reducing the eventual enormous debt for the UK :)

10. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Something tells me that these Olympics will be very, very well attended. Remember that it is Americans who fund the Olympics primarily through billions in TV revenue, but also attendance. And while Americans may find China too far away and too scary, they love London and the lack of a language barrier. I'll bet that a lot of Brits will be buying tickets for resale to wealthy Americans, assuming resale is possible?

11. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope so- will be nice to have such an event in London. I know winter Olympics are far different, however the estimated "massive demand" for Vancouver never happened last year, and several of the more ambitious plans such as renting cruise ships and putting them in the harbour as extra hotel rooms proved to be completely un-necessary. Some people even managed to redeem rooms on points during peak events.

One point that seems to happen with Olympics is that the constant rumours of "massive overwhelming demand" lead to people saying "No, I will just stay away...". I wanted to buy some tickets for Hockey in Vancouver for which the asking price directly from the Olympic comittee was $10,000 each. No, that is not a typo, and not a decimal place. In the end, said tickets were selling for $120. Sadly, I, as many others, had already made alternate arrangements to stay away from Vancouver at that point.

Let's not pretend for one minute that London is Vancouver- London is one of THE most popular cities in the world- however with over 7 million tickets to be sold- I hope they are able to handle this in a reasonable way where everyone gets to come. And although China may be "scary" to some Americans- what happened to all the Asians that were going to come? Or even local Chinese who were finally rumored to be paid to attend?

However I degress- let's hope the Olympics have the same number of spectators as the upcoming Royal Wedding, and then we can all sit back and have a beer and not worry that (some)one's grandchildren will be paying for the decision (a.k.a Montreal in the summer of 1976- the debt will be paid on ????).

12. nomflyer
    Original Member

nomflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yesterday I received an email from london2012.com with information on purchasing tickets. I am not a resident of an EU country, so this excerpt was significant to me. The link in the 2nd paragraph is a pdf file with a list of ATRs by country:

13. darkhunter
    Original Member

darkhunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wait, ok, so if you "request" tickets you are not even able to ask for certain priced ones?
    Like there are supposed to be seats as low as 20.12 pounds. So if you apply for tickets then you could
    wind up being forced to pay for the more expensive seats? possibly even the top tier ones !?

That's insane. In doing more research on this actually the whole thing seems nuts now and I don't think I am interested in trying to go any longer. See I thought if you were in europe you could buy tickets directly and get them right away.
    That's not the case at all. I guess no matter where you are you are all entered into some kinda lottery and so you may not get tickets at all!? I dunno the whole thing is starting to sound crazy to me and so I am totally turned off by it all now. I certinally am not rich or anything I just wanted to grab some tickets so I had them incase
    I manage to find award flights and rooms and go. If you are not guaranteed tickets or even guaranteed a certain price then this is all nuts. Biggest scam I have ever seen.

14. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes.

darkhunter likes this.
  15. darkhunter
    Original Member

darkhunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seriously or are you all messing with me? That just can't be right?

So you are telling me that they could come back and say "sorry we only have the 2,012 pound tickets" when you thought you were getting 20.12 pound tickets? You would not be obligated to seriously buy those would you ? That's nuts.

16. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not messing with you- and in my opinion it can't be right. That is the way it worked in Vancouver however.

darkhunter likes this.
  17. darkhunter
    Original Member

darkhunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    So insane. I do appreciate the heads up though. I think I'm out then.

Sounds better to just wait and watch and see what tickets go for on Ebay and whatever else.
    That way you know what you are getting. That sounds like the way to go. What do others think?
    Or will the markup on Ebay be just too insane ?

18. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    One very credible option is to primarily go to preliminaries and non-medal rounds. I did this in Atlanta in 1996 and had a great time - to me, although you miss the actual medal events, you get to sit in the same venues, and (most importantly) getto soak up the unique atmosphere of actually being present at such a special and unique event.

darkhunter likes this.
  19. darkhunter
    Original Member

darkhunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well here's another question, that kinda relates to the prelims mentioned above, etc, for the lesser attended events like that which are not sold out, can you just like walk up and buy tickets day of the event at face value? Or does that never happen? I guess what I am asking is, is the upcoming ticket lottery the 1 and only way to ever get tickets or when the games near do remaining seats go on sale though other methods ??

20. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    During the run-up to the last Olympiad in Beijing, tickets were sold in several rounds, the last of which was concluded just a few weeks before the opening:

http://en.beijing2008.cn/tickets/news/n214482741.shtml

In Atlanta, there were some events (such as baseball, a demonstration sport that year) that had on-site sales in the early rounds. Likewise, many of the preliminary soccer games (held as far away as D.C., Miami and New Orleans) had plenty of seats available. (one game in the Orange Bowl drew less than 5,000 fans to a stadium with a capacity over 70,000).

Note: You might want to send a conversation request to member tom911, who has attended several Olympiads and World Championships. He could probably give you some more up-to-date data points.

darkhunter likes this.
  21. darkhunter
    Original Member

darkhunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    appreciate all the info!

22. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can tell you that in Athens some of my tickets were bought from those selling them outside the venue on day of the event. There always seemed to be folks selling tickets. We had someone that would go out and negotiate every day and always seemed to find the extra seats we needed for our party. We all got in.

In Beijing that would not have worked because you could not get to the venue. You could get to the closest train station and solicit folks for tickets there, but I didn't notice any changing hands. There were a couple hundred open seats there at finals each night which is unheard of for an Olympic final in swimming. I don't know where all the tickets went, or why those seats were unoccupied. I didn't see any ticket windows to buy last minute tickets, so they must have been allocated to someone or some organization/tour provider that just didn't use them.

Having been to the Olympic site in London, I'm not sure what the grand plan is there. Will you be able to get to the stadium or pool or gymnastics site if you don't have a ticket, like Athens, or will the whole place be cordoned off, like Beijing? There are two different train stations with access for the pool/stadium so hopefully you'd be able to at least get that far and try to find tickets, but ideally you'd want to be at the venue day-of-event like Athens.

I'm less worried about tickets for London than I am about accommodations. We can't book anything until after Olympic Trials, though I'll book my airline award tickets ahead of time (might even add on Scotland before coming down to London). With both Athens and Beijing a lot of the hotels were prepaid, nonrefundable, and as the U.S. Olympic swim team is not selected until Olympic Trials in Omaha about a month out, I'd be foolish to pay money for a hotel booking a year ahead when there is a small risk I won't go. I do have one school contact who lives close to the Olympic grounds that has a huge house, so that might even be an option as we get closer. I'm sure everything will fall into place on the housing side when that time comes. In Beijing I booked my hotel about a month out when prices dropped. My having tickets isn't a condition of attendance.

I'd be just as happy going if I had to watch the swimming at a hotel hosting U.S. families and friends. I know a lot of the swimmer's families from attending international meets with the Coughlins the last 12 years and it's always nice to catch up and visit. I'll see a lot of them this summer at World Championships in Shanghai.

I don't know what type of the position Metropolitan Police are going to take on ticket sales, though, even if they're at face value. Another unknown factor.

My photos from Athens and Beijing are on the front page linked below

secretsea18, darkhunter and Wurm like this.
  23. FrankieC

FrankieC Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can check out www.cosport.com which seems to be an authorized reseller of London 2012 olympic tickets for these countries: Australia, Austria, Bulgaria, Canada, Norway, Sweden and the United States.

24. MadameConcorde
    Original Member

MadameConcorde Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone been successful getting tickets for the opening ceremony yet or have they all been sold already?

25. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    Meanwhile, in related (okay, unrelated) news...the 2012 Olympics logo STILL looks like oral sex. :D :D :D