2012 Miles

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sfo1, Dec 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So how's everyone doing with booking trips for 2012 and what status level do you want to get to? As of June 2012 I will be short 23,000 miles short of retaining my 1k status for 2013, so it will be an easy sprint to the finish line.

canucklehead, rwoman and genemk2 like this.
  2. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will have 47,000 by the end of April. With a LAX-LHR and LAX-HKG trip planned for the 2nd part of the year, should be able to make 1K again with a few domestic flights thrown in for good measure.

sfo1 likes this.
  3. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    By March 23rd, I will have 84,300 QM's...making the magic 100K number will be a walk in the park

CDKing and sfo1 like this.
  4. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    As of today, I am exactly 100,000PQM's from 1K for 2013.

Par for the course for me, though. I rarely have travel booked in advance :(.

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will start the year with 8.5K PQM, coming back from HKG first week of Jan; then a TATL in March, and I should be "golden" by mid-May after a long haul to MEL. I usually need to do a TPAC MR at year end to requalify the 1K. This year will not be an exception...

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am hoping for Platinum next year (drop from 1K) based on my travel priorities for the coming year. Book so far: 5k EQM in January.

sfo1 likes this.
  7. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    Booked & paid for thru 3/21/2012 --- 98,882 bis miles (17 - one day turn-arounds) all domestic burning all my Cr-1's & SWU's in the good ol' US of A, & not buying into any non-comfirmable (in advance) international sucker fares.

misman and sfo1 like this.
  8. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am with you on this one. I am lucky enough to have Q1 and part of Q2 booked with confirmed NC UG's. But I refuse to do anymore "waitlisting" and thus I have nothing more booked right now.
    Yes, I may not qualify for 1K in 2013, but have to deal with that down the road.

EX-LAX, DCA1K and sfo1 like this.
  9. DCA1K

DCA1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I start the new year off with a paid 1st ticket to SJD on US, which, combined with my other trips will yield an 11,000 mile month--my best start ever. With what I have booked already, I will be at 23,000 by the end of Q1. I always have pop-up trips on the east coast which I usually fly on US and have been getting 500 mile minimums for on CO. Not sure whether that will survive, though.

I am planning a trip to Central America in May, Europe in September and again in October, but I am expecting the inevitable TPAC MR in Nov/Dec to requal as a 1K.

AZjohn likes this.
  10. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Regarding all the miles one gets during the year from flying. Lots of my friends think I am crazy for doing so much flying and they say that to spend money just to get FF points is stupid. Yes, i do spend money on FF points so that I can keep my status and the perks, but at the same time I have been to many, many, many destinations that I would never have gone to if I decided not to be a FF. So it's a trade off, spend money earn miles but at the same time see places I would never have gone to.

genemk2, DCA1K, AZjohn and 2 others like this.
  11. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    As they say, "No matter where you go, there you are"! The majority of the masses will never allow themselves to be adventuresome, which is just ducky as far as I'm concerned, resulting in less competition for the front of the bus!

genemk2, AZjohn and sfo1 like this.
  12. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, do you guys ever take a day off from points/status hunting just to enjoy your achievements??

Only travel we have booked for 2012 is a J class BA redemption flying CX SFO to BKK. I expect that for us 2012 is going to be another year of redemptions, makes absolutely no sense to us to fly to get points when we can buy the same thru credit card sign ups and credit card spend. I think with what we have banked we can do all the premium flying we want for the next 2-3 years.

Don't know if it is just a sign of getting older, but the idea of flying somewhere just to get points doesn't appeal.

13. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Booked and paid thru 4/22/12: 40,126 EQM's (25,358 plus 14,768 "extra EQM's" ;) thanks to the SFO-ORD DEQM promo) with of course more to come to fill in the blanks ;)

miles and smiles and genemk2 like this.
  14. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have 2,773 miles booked in the first 2 days of the year, but that is all so far..

genemk2 likes this.
  15. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    :)
    Remember,"You're only as old as you want to let yourself be"!
    If it doesn't appeal to you,hang out in the ol' rocker, I guess? Whatever makes you happy is all that counts!:)

genemk2 and sfo1 like this.
  16. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't think we are exactly hanging out in the rocker. We did two trips to Australia, one to Europe plus miscellaneous other small trips. We were on the road 18 weeks and that is more than enough. Guess when you have travelled a lot, it just doesn't seem exciting to go just because.

Agree 100% it is what makes you happy.

genemk2 likes this.
  17. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    IMO, there are always exciting places to go regardless of how much one travels. There is always someplace new. I also the only way one can really learn about other cultures and people is to see it with one's own eyes and experience it. Too many people today have preconceived ideas about others culture without ever seeing it. Too much relying on TV and newspapers. There is never enough travel, when I stop travelling my world will have come to its end, at least for me. Here are my ittineraries for 2012 so far, Europe (Germany/Hungary), Peru, Israel, Europe (Croatia/Austria/Germany, Brazil, Uruagray, Argentina. I just can't get enough travel. And now I have said enough about it, no more I promise.

genemk2 and EX-LAX like this.
  18. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    44 round trips in 3 years to BKK - 2 consecutive years of over 300K bis - I guess qualifies me to comment on "Traveling a lot" and now that I'm home more doesn't mean that I'm grounded. Like I said, whatever turns a person on is perfectly fine by me and just because one likes to continually get "Up-In-The-Air" to achieve a higher status level doesn't make them kooky, just slightly different, which is exactly what I want to be.

Although, I must agree, greeting the same f/a 3 or 4 times in one day sometimes does have the appearance of stalking!;)

19. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I only have 11,000 booked thru March and so far nothing after that. Will only be gold this year after plat for past several years. Will continue to look for bargain fares to anywhere. I view it as my "layaway plan" for the bigger trips that I don't want to pay cash for. This year did 2 weeks in Australia on miles and hotels mostly on points. Could not have afforded that trip otherwise. When I explain it that way, people who don't understand the reasoning behind accumulating miles suddenly see it makes sense.

genemk2, sfo1 and EX-LAX like this.
  20. thebkwee

thebkwee Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have almost 10,000 booked through the first week in February with another 5,000 awaiting approval. Hope to make 1K in my first year back flying frequently.

genemk2 and sfo1 like this.
  21. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
    I won't be chasing status at all, nor booking any paid flights. I have some ideas about cashing in some miles for a vacation, though. Disco Inferno. To meet my needs and expectations, I'd best Hustle with booking.

22. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a new gig and don't think I will have a chance to get a single mile until the end of April. Going to be a busy second half of the year if I want to stay in the game. lol

23. unroadwarrior
    Original Member

unroadwarrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a trip to India confirmed for Summer, two trips to MCO (I live @ IAD) and one to LAS. Everything else will be last minute (nature of my job). Every year I get to 1P with ease and sometimes get to 60k miles. In 2012, my goal is to get to the new 75K level (whatever they call it). It may take some planning and end of year running...

genemk2 likes this.
  24. esrfalco

esrfalco Active Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps I'm the oddball here, but I really hate to travel. I only travel for my job (which now requires extensive travel), and to make my wife happy (Germans love to travel). That said, I have a personal trip spanning the New Year,
    5-6 international trips, and 2-5 domestic trips planned for 2012. I could get to Platinum on Star Alliance in 2012, but as long as I maintain Gold (for use of international lounges), I will be satisfied.

I hate traveling, but since I've got to do it, I might as well make the best of it. Thanks to all on this forum for making it more tolerable.

25. Colonel G
    Original Member

Colonel G Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can always plan on getting halfway to 1K through trips that I know I must take. The other half is unpredictable as to exactly when and where, but things always pop up to get me to the goal post. Of course, I am taking advantage of a great deal to get startd this year and the wife and I are going HNL-SFO-IAH-BEL and back for $390 each.

10,000 EQM for less than $400 is a great way to start the year!