2012 MileagePlus program benefits begin March 3rd

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by UA Insider, Jan 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. UA Insider
    Original Member

UA Insider Official Representative

Status Points:
    Hi Everyone, Today, we’re confirming that our 2012 MileagePlus program is officially scheduled to begin March 3rd. This much anticipated date clearly brings with it several changes for our customers as well as our employees. For the MileagePlus program, here are some key highlights of what you can expect between now and then:
    1. 2012 Premier status levels and associated benefits will officially begin March 3rd. For those of you who have qualified for 2012 Premier status, you’ll receive a new credential card in late February with your permanent MileagePlus number. As a reminder, for those who have linked your OnePass and MileagePlus accounts, your 8-digit alpha numeric number will become your permanent MileagePlus number. If you haven’t already linked your accounts you can still do so here, until January 28.
    2. 2011 Elite status and credential validity will be extended through March 2nd. Later this week, elite members will begin to receive a letter in the mail with a special hologram sticker that, when affixed to your 2011 card, will extend its validity through March 2nd. The sticker is designed to outlast the everyday wear and tear that a card may encounter during this short transition and will allow Star Alliance Gold members access to applicable lounges when traveling internationally. We are also working closely with our airline partners to ensure uninterrupted benefits during this interim period.

Worth noting: If you earned a higher status for 2012 than what’s reflected on your 2011 credential, you’ll continue to receive benefits based on this higher status when traveling on United or Continental (still using the 2011 Elite tier mapping and program rules). If you’ll have a lower status in 2012, you’ll continue to receive benefits based on your 2011 status through March 2nd.​
    3. Members will be able to log in to view personalized details for the 2012 program. Within the next few days you’ll have access to view a customized page that will include confirmation of your 2012 Premier status (including invitations for Global Services membership) as well as information on your overall lifetime flight mileage balance that will be effective March 3rd. The link to access this page will be updated on our website later this week. And, for those members who receive notifications from us, we’ll send out information on how to access this page as well.
    4. A special note on timing. Due to time zone differences and the roll out of various systems, some member benefits may begin a few hours before or after 12:01am on March 3rd.
    Our websites will be updated with the most up to date information later this week. As always, we look forward to answering your questions.

Shannon Kelly
    Director, Customer Insights
    United Airlines

2. mherdeg
    Original Member

mherdeg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Always glad to have holograms on our team. http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Prey_(episode):

3. mtbroxs
    Original Member

mtbroxs Gold Member

Status Points:
    As always thanks for the up to date information.

4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As always it's greatly appreciated to be kept abreast of developments UA Insider.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  5. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So on march 3rd will both sites still be active and able to book and credit flights? How does that work with bookings past the march 3 deadline.

6. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Shanon (aka UA insider)

I just hope the New United Mileage Plus Elite Cards don't look ugly.
    That's all

Specifically for 1K level !

7. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also, I personally don't mind entending the elite year till March 2nd every year. What's with the January 31 business?

8. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good. However, that means, we need to avoid travel that week...we know it's likely to be subject to glitches during cutover time.

As for status retention, can I keep the status I had between Jan 1st and 9th? For that period I was PP. :)

Hey I even flew an itin on Tuesday for which my BPs showed "PRES PLAT." The UA club agents at BOS and the CO agents at CLE were practically falling over themselves to welcome me in!

9. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the update.

Kinda looking forward to the hologram -- maybe it will be the two logos becoming one! :D

Jubileesmom likes this.
  10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will the life of SWUs that are supposed to expire on Jan 31 also be extended to March 3rd? :p

As always, thanks for the update!

11. SFOtoORD

SFOtoORD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Shannon - I assume this means that most of the UA/CO computer systems will be combined by this date or just MP/OP? Is there more detailed logistical information about this transition and what to expect in the first two days of the combined systems?

Oh, and any update on when MMers will be able to nominate a spouse for matching status?

12. Morsel
    Original Member

Morsel Active Member

Status Points:
    Some random commenter on the Facebook thread about this indicated that activity through March 3 could qualify for 2012 status.

Much as I wish that were true, it's not, right?

13. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It'd be nice but it's wishful thinking...a pipe dream...

14. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any update on what will happen to United and Aer Lingus partnership on IAD-MAD route? Will we be earning miles on that rout after March 3rd 2012?

jetsetr and LETTERBOY like this.
  15. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Shannon!

16. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the update, Shannon, but...

I hope those cards actually before March 3 since the delays in the past seem to be several weeks my status went up a notch. I have a trip to Bahrain (BAH) departing on March 3. I really, really need lounge access in KWI and BAH on this trip. If my card expires the day before I arrive there I will be very.... :mad:

Also, should I expect to run into any difficulties getting my complimentary upgrades on the domestic legs since I used my UA MileagePlus number to book the tickets?

17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad to hear things are still on track to be combined that day. Any idea when we'll get all the details about the new program. Things like partner earning rates and such sure would be nice, especially given the rather dramatic changes that have been seen lately with the numbers on a few carriers. It is very hard to plan travel not knowing what the benefits are.

2soonold, mtbroxs, IDGflygirl and 3 others like this.
  18. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This concern and several variants thereof have been expressed in various threads. I think that this is the least of your problems, unless the *A computers also stopped working.

Please check your boarding pass. It will say "UA *G" and it might also have your MP# on it. That is the clue to *A lounges that you are eligible to enter. So, just carry your old card just in case they want to confirm your MP# (I assume that the hologram will have the new MP# that is currently the OP# in linked accounts). This card will work even if it expired because the most authoritative information is that which is on your boarding pass. Make sure that it says "UA *G" on it and you will be fine.

I suspect that this is completely under UA control and whatever happens to you will also happen to all the other elites in case of a glitch... you'll be in good company.

Scottrick likes this.
  19. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope so, too, but they always want to see the card, which makes me cautious. I'm not expecting trouble, but like I said, I do not want to be 18K miles from home, in desperate search of some rest and relaxation, and find that I'm cut off from a lounge.

20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Only sortof.

The status on the BP is whatever the agent at the counter types in to the computer. In TXL yesterday the agent was manually adding it from the card I handed her and she initially only listed me as a general member rather than *G and the computer doesn't actually validate it so it didn't care. I pointed that out and she went back and fixed it to be *G.

The good news about the above is that, once it was on the BP, the Senator Lounge agents actually didn't ask to see my card in either TXL nor MUC so it wasn't as big a deal there.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  21. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually in my experience, few lounges other than those operated by LH care to see the card. They would ask for the boarding pass and a valid ID (passport) and that's it. Until recently, I have never had to show my card to enter a *A lounge, except for those operated by LH in FRA. I was recently asked to show my card in SIN to a SQ lounge, but then I went there a second time a few days later and no one asked for it.

That gets it backwards without any doubt: The agents have no status info to enter into the computer because all they ask for is a valid ID (passport), which they use to retrieve the reservation and print the BP. If you are *A elite, the BP will automatically have the info on it (UA*G or UA*S). As I recently reported, I got two BPs that had UA*G printed on them but with no MP#, which is why I was asked to show my membership card to enter an SQ lounge in SIN: they just wanted to get my MP# because it was missing on the BP (an expired card would do just fine for this purpose).

One's *A elite status is stored in the *A computers as part of PNR unless there is malfunction. There is no need to enter anything by hand, and I have not had much use for my MP card; never even memorized the number...

22. miketown
    Original Member

miketown Silver Member

Status Points:
    From Facebook...

Bolding & Underlining, mine...

23. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I assure you that the agent at TXL yesterday manually entered the information on my PNR, copying it from the card. And she erroneously selected "General Member" the first time around which I asked her to correct.

If the reservation correctly holds the status information then there's a pretty good chance it will take, but my experiences, especially with multi-airline itineraries, is that is fails just as often as it succeeds.

Only if that information is correctly pushed into the reservation in advance of the check-in. That most certainly doesn't happen every time, especially with OALs involved.

Today at LJU I checked in and presented my card as well. It happened to be my MP card as that was on top of my stack. The agent replied that my CO number was already in the reservation, but it wasn't showing *G on the BP. I had to present the card in that case for lounge access.
    There is absolutely need for the card, especially when the reservation isn't showing the number or status properly. And most agents will want to verify the expiry date of the status as the computers in the lounges (for the ones which use computers; LJU doesn't) are simply batching the transactions for upload later and they do NOT verify the validity of the status in real-time when they are scanned.

24. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you ever know when to stop digging? What happened to you is the exception that affirms the rule, and NOT the rule.

This is what you had claimed:
    The status on the BP is whatever the agent at the counter types in to the computer. .

This is simply wrong. In years of doing mostly intl travel, I have never presented anything but my passport , which says nothing about my MP or *A status, to check in. And yet, the printed BP has always correctly shown my *A status. I have never been asked to show my MP card to enter a *A lounge, except for LH's, until recently because my MP# was not printed on my BP, and this might have been because it was on Jan 1 and computers were being updated.

There is nothing relative about this. It is all well known and well established, occasional deviations notwithstanding...

25. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No, it isn't.

If the agent chooses to edit your record - something they absolutely can do - then that's what your status will show. And when they enter it they manually select what your status is. And in the cases where the FF# isn't properly pushed between system the agent absolutely enters the data manually. There is no super database in the background against which these entries are validated in real-time. If there was an error would have thrown when she put my info into the system wrong. It didn't.

This is not the first time I've had this happen; it is not nearly as uncommon as you seem to be suggesting.

There's also the official policy from *A that is useful reading:

IDGflygirl and geclub1 like this.