2012 Deals that FLOPPED

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by katstarr, Dec 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. katstarr

katstarr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I want to write a blog post and could use your help. Instead of a Year-In-Review based on the good deals of the year, I'd like to highlight the bad deals (subjectively or objectively) - the flops - the dissappointments, the wastes of time.

For me, these included signing up for Kingfisher status; getting 6 months of the Wall street Journal for free and throwing out nearly every day's paper; spending hours deciding whether or not to jump in on certain mistake fares, only to have them pulled before payment went through; the avianca deal where i spent hours buying guitar picks and making donations to pet charities; and getting dinged by topguest for overzealous checkins and priority club for hitting the backspace key....
    I'm sure there are more.

this is where you come in. I'd really appreciate it if you could list some of the best flops of the year! This could be FUN!!

I'm counting on you!!!

Thanks.

Kathy
    www.WillRunForMiles.com

2. romsdeals

romsdeals Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1 Signing up for KingFisher status was pointless.

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm still upset that the Grand Slam didn't happen and they didn't even say anything... :)

4. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Grand Slam 2012

5. jonk
    Original Member

jonk Silver Member

Status Points:
    i did the icelandair thing and got a trip to fairbanks for the northern lights, but stupid me didn't plan enough and booked it for the dead of january. i mean, i want to see them, but i don't think i'd do well when it's *that* cold. i called them yesterday and it's a $100 change fee to change dates and the miles are not redepositable. i'm thinking of just writing it off.

anyways, this was completely my fault. (another thing that was my fault was that i f'd up the club carlson thing, but oh well. live and learn!)

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dude, that's just part of the adventure.

At least that's what I am telling myself for the "dead of January" trip to Yellowknife. :D (not funded via IcelandAir)

7. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought yellowknife was about 1000 miles north of the tree line, unless you are gold mining i was not sure there was anything to do in yellowknife

8MiHi, sobore, flyingdawg and 3 others like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I sure as hell am not going to gold-mine in Yellowknife in the middle of January :) My plan is to freeze my *** off at night looking for northern lights, and then carefully thaw myself during the day in the hotel room or some conveniently located bar. And maybe do some ice-road trucking.

Wandering Aramean had a blog post a couple years ago about Yellowknife.

9. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    What about the Wyndham semi-targeted offer for bonus points in Sep/Oct?

daninstl, thegrailer and flyingdawg like this.
  10. jonk
    Original Member

jonk Silver Member

Status Points:
    it's going to be -26(F) high -44 low on sunday in FAI. this trip is looking less and less appealing :p i'd be ok with it except i don't think i can drive anywhere at night in those temps!

flyingdawg, marcwint55 and katstarr like this.
  11. romsdeals

romsdeals Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wyndham bonus was not a flop. I paid $153 for 54,000 points. That's 3 nights in NYC at the Wyndham. Pretty good deal to me ~$50 a night.

12. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's -29° (F) right now in Yellowknife. Although I saw it was going to be a balmy 0° on Wednesday.

flyingdawg, marcwint55 and katstarr like this.
  13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    How is something which was never offered, just drooled over, a failure? Unless you mean a failure on the part of those drooling. ;)

newbluesea and mrredskin like this.
  14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They have bars. And some pretty cool hiking and cross-country skiing on the lakes in the middle of town.

And bars. :cool:

We actually had an awesome time there. Pack some extra long johns and a sweater and fleece in addition to the jacket. You'll be fine. Details from my Yellowknife trip are all here.

[​IMG]

15. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Average January high/low in Fairbanks is about 0/-20 F. That's not so bad. May as well go all out if you're going to go.

If you hit a record cold spell with -60 or -70 lows, that could be a bit more of a challenge.

Honestly, if you want to travel to Alaska for the northern lights in winter, you may as well aim for as cold as possible and get the full experience. Bring warm clothes and be prepared. Feel good about actually experiencing weather rather than insulating and removing yourself from it.

flyingdawg, servo, marcwint55 and 2 others like this.
  16. katstarr

katstarr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think they meant the anticipation/expectation (whether reasonable or not) of a grand slam 2012, and their resulting disappointment when it didn't occur.

A lot of people (myself included) felt that way with SMD4 when they expected Hyatt to extend a year of Diamond status to the attendees of SMD4 who already were Diamonds.

flyingdawg and marcwint55 like this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This is totally going off-topic, but... in Yellowknife there are tours offered. I booked a rental car, and the plan is to do perhaps one night "in comfort" with a tour or guide and then another night or two on our own. You can also rent warm clothing (as a Californian, I don't think I am suitably equipped for extended times outside in those temps). And my award flights and hotel and car rental are all cancellable more or less until the last minute, so if the forecast calls for no aurora or blizzard conditions or... I can always bail.

flyingdawg likes this.
  18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If you're thinking of going out to the Aurora Village in Yellowknife I STRONGLY recommend against it. The bus ride sucked (think old school bus with worn suspension) and the site itself isn't all that great. We found a lake about 20 minutes out of town in the same general direction which was sufficiently isolated to lose the light pollution and much faster/easier. No concession stand but we were OK with that.

HaveMilesWillTravel and viguera like this.
  19. DealsRock

DealsRock Silver Member

Status Points:
    The flops of the year for me included:
    UA Award fare mistake ... so much for 2 trips to asia for family in lie flat seats.
    Travelocity NFB2012 not honored ... lost out on some free hotel nights.
    BKK Novotel Siam Square rate not honored ... single for 11E incl breakfast

20. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    For me, the RGN first class fare mistake booked through Swiss not being honored because I didn't touch US soil in the routing... doh!

flyingdawg and Flying Bat like this.
  21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I looked at that (and read some reviews, incl. yours) and was likely going with an alternative option. But yeah, I rented the car for a reason. I have been in similar temps outdoors before, so I think I know what awaits me.

flyingdawg and Wandering Aramean like this.
  22. kadence

kadence Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not exactly what you're looking for, but I missed out on the SW companion pass opportunity because I have to apply for a mortgage soon!

flyingdawg and katstarr like this.
  23. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA mistake fare to HKG. I wonder how many were actually able to redeem that? For them deal of the year for the rest of us. Not so much.

flyingdawg, ballardFlyer and guberif like this.
  24. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    [quote="(another thing that was my fault was that i f'd up the club carlson thing, but oh well. live and learn!)[/quote]

What exactly did you screw up on the Club Carlson thing?

25. jonk
    Original Member

jonk Silver Member

Status Points:
    it* set it up so that the points would automagically be converted to mileage plus miles. so 50,000 points in and voila, gone as 6500 (iirc) RDM. yayyyyy --_____--. should have just created another account to do it again, but oh well.

*EDIT: i set it up. typo. wanted to make it clear i take responsibility for this!

flyingdawg likes this.