2011 US Airways food thread

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by kellio, Feb 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    This thread can be used for discussion around US guidelines when meals are served, exceptions to those rules and what was for dinner!

2. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Domestic First Class
    • Meals are served on flights over 3.5 hours between 5 AM and 8 PM.
    • There are some exceptions to this rule where US may be in competition with another major on a specific route.

Domestic coach - Marketplace or BOB.
    • Available on most flights over 2.5 hours, departing between 5 AM and 8 PM
    • Cafe Plus and Cafe Snack
    • Bites - snacks for sale on most mainline flights

3. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    Domestic F PHL-LAS last week: 6pm ish flight. Choice of sad chicken (grilled breast) with mashed potatoes and gravy or sad pork tenderloin with roasted potatoes and gravy. I call them both sad because the colors on the plate are all neutral/brown, beige, white, and when plated on a white plate with no garnish, it's a very monochromatic, unexciting plate. Both come with salad and bread. Dessert was key lime pie which is actually quite nice. I avoid the pork whenever I can (meaning whenever they don't run out) because every time I've had it, it's been woefully overcooked. Decent flavor, just dry as the Sahara and not enough gravy on the whole plane to help it.

Domestic F LAS-DCA Monday, 2:30 departure. Choice of bow-tie pasta carbonara (peas, cream sauce, with bacon and sometimes mushrooms) or chicken quesadilla, both with salad. Both of these choices are consistently nice. The FA's generally do not know what is in the pasta sauce-- I promise you there is bacon, always have been, so if you're a vegetarian, enjoy your bread :D Dessert is a cookie which is a lot better if the FA takes the trouble to heat in the oven.

In general... I'm sick of these choices, having seen them for a long time now, and am very hopeful for US to have something new soon. I also wonder why US continues to serve pork when so many people have religious dietary restrictions forbidding it. I've swapped my chicken for the sad pork more than once, when I've overheard Row 3 dismay about the only choice left being one they're not supposed to eat.

I hear domestic F meal quality and service is due for a major upgrade around April timeframe... can't wait...

4. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    2/11
    FLL-PHX
    Dinner

I had the Chicken with artichoke sauce. Served with artichokes and polenta cakes. Actually tasted pretty good, chicken was not overcooked. Could have used a bit more seasoning in the sauce. Agree with you that the overall look is pretty beige.

Salad was baby spinach with tomatos and candied walnuts. Very fresh. The dinner roll was warm and soft. No hockey pucks here.

Dessert a slice of apple pie which was also pretty good.

5. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    2/14 US627 BWI-PHX dinner flight - same as dcpatti's PHL-LAS, except I wouldn't call dessert that - it was yellow tasteless goo.

6. Dr Rumack
    Original Member

Dr Rumack Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think any meal now is pretty much a step up from the "hot pockets."

7. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm assuming you don't want info on the food in Envoy, as it would be much less relevant to the majority of posters. Just in case, my summary would be that I just flew PHL-LHR and back last weekend (for the London DO). The food and beverages were actually quite good (better than previous trips I've had in Envoy). They even served made to order sundaes for desert (stealing a page out of the competitor playbook). I took pictures of both the menu and the food (if there is interest to see them).

FarPoint, PHLCaptive and kellio like this.
  8. jemmazee
    Original Member

jemmazee Silver Member

Status Points:
    OMG, if they offer sundaes on our upcoming Envoy trip (PHL-CDG at the end of March), Mr. Zee will be in heaven. I, for one, would love to see pics.

9. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    I;ve had the sundaes on MAD-PHL when we got an equipment swap, and on LHR-PHL. Had originally been scheduled on the A333 but I'm not confident they do the sundae service on the older Envoy planes. It may just be the 332's/Envoy Suites. At any rate, I thought it was a nice concept but not executed as well as you'd hope. I preferred the less "showy" gelato and cookies served for dessert on NZ business class. Hopefully they'll get a better system for the sundae service-- I really do love the idea--- the current system results in the hot items being too cold and the cold items being too hot, so you get soupy ice cream with lukewarm fudge sauce. It's still yummy, and I feel a little bad to complain about it here :D But yeah, sundaes might just be one of those things that work better on the ground.

10. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Give us the scoop!

scubaflyer and jemmazee like this.
  11. PHL-SFO 2/21
    Choice of Salmon or Monte Cristo sandwich. After reading good things about the Salmon on FT I decided to go against my natural reluctance to ordering seafood in domestic first. I was not disappointed as it was quite tasty compared to the usual offerings. Chocolate chip cookie for desert. Overall I was pretty impressed.

Anyone have a review of the Monte Cristo?

RedM3Pilot likes this.
  12. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the Salmon is surprisingly good. More memorable for me was the dessert consisting of warm* German chocolate cake+Bailey's and coffee.

*made the cabin smell good!

13. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Would definitely be interested in seeing pictures if you care to post!

14. phlwookie
    Original Member

phlwookie Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a sundae on flight 755 CDG-PHL this Tuesday at the end of lunch service. It was served in a small glass with vanilla ice cream and a series of optional toppings. I don't recall if it was offered eastbound on 754 (or on 728 to LHR which I've also been on a bunch lately) as in both cases I ate the main dinner course then went to sleep.

Maybe I'm wrong or just remembering incorrectly, but I'm pretty sure I've had sundaes on everything US flies across the Atlantic - the 757, 767, A330-200 and A330-300 since they revamped the Envoy menus a while back.

In general I find the Envoy catering to be on par for business class though the wines tend to be a bit weak.

15. Scott Weinberg
    Original Member

Scott Weinberg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I have flown in Envoy Class before and it was quite enjoyable flying in J class from PHL-ZRH-PHL. It was so amazed that I rode in J class. I have a good experience that I flew in BusinessElite Class and it was so comforable for me.

16. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nicely stated :). I've been without Internet this weekend (it was actually kinda nice to be "unplugged" for a bit). I'll get the pics up this week.

17. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew GIG-CLT-GIG two weeks ago in Envoy. The departure menu was just as it has been, so I did not partake. The breakfast eggs were distinctly unpalatable so I did not eat, but did eat the yogurt and fruit. I am happy some other routes are doing better. The food on 800/801 is pathetic in both directions. It could be that since they are redeyes the assumption is that nobody cares.

18. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok. So, I finally got around to downloading the pics from my LHR trip to share my food in Envoy here (as promised). Just my luck, though, as the pics are too big (they're just barely over 1 meg each, so I'm assuming the size limit is 1 meg). I don't have time tonight to edit the pics to post them, so I'll do that when I can. More to come.

kellio likes this.
  19. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks scubaflyer. Remember, we are trying to build great content here;)

scubaflyer likes this.
  20. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks kellio. From my memory of the food I had, it will likely be "very good" content versus "great" (since the food itself would probably be categorized as "very good" rather than "great") [​IMG].

kellio likes this.