2010 - 2011 NHL Hockey Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by taiwaned, Mar 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    Living in China, really hard to keep up with hockey.
    I miss it.
    Watching it online and listening to the games is not enough.
    I would like to discuss it with like minded individuals.
    Vancouver Canucks are going to win the Stanely Cup this year.
    Ironically, it is a year which I will not be home to enjoy the insanity. Sometimes I hate living overseas.

2. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was looking at NHL.com yesterday and thinking about signing up to watch the remainder of the season online. SE Asia shows some American sports, sadly not hockey.

I'm concerned that, using a NY based CC, I'll be relegated to watching NY teams 48 hours after the game ends due to blackouts etc. That would be a waste to spend $80 and not get to watch the games in a timely fashion.

3. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let's Go Kings :)

4. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Caught a game in the decrepit Nassau Colieum two weeks ago when I was on the east coast. Great game, I have hope that the Islanders will do well in the years to come... if they don't trade away all the young talent... AGAIN.
    IMG_6655sm.jpg

IMG_6663sm.jpg

2MM_Guy and goalie like this.
  5. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Manny's injury hurts the Canucks chances.

The one thing to look forward to in life is a Fishstick loss. I grew up having Billy Smith [aka a lot of words that are not work safe] living a block and a half away :mad:. A few others lived in the neighborhood :mad::mad:. I can't wait until the team folds and those four years of NHL history can be added back into the record books.

Seriously, the Coliseum was a dump 30 years when the MISL Arrows were sharing time there [anyone remember Shep Messing or Steve Zungel?]. I did get backstage at a Judas Priest concert though and that was a ton of fun.

More LI hockey - anyone make it to the LI Arena to see the Ducks play?

Back to NHL hockey. While not a Caps fan, if Ovechkin plays like I have seen him play, I don't think the Caps are beatable this year. [even after my boys shellacked 'em a few weeks ago 6 or 7 - zip]

Last off topic I promise. I was in HEL last fall and caught a game. My first time sitting on the glass and it was great.

I saw the Kings play in late December and Staples is one great arena. I know it's all nice for the Lakers but you fans are living the life. Wow!

6. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sedin's and Luongo beat the Red Wings today.
    When Luongo is on his game, they are impossible to beat.

7. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find it amazing all the talk about getting rid of the Islanders. I'd rather get rid of the Nassau County managers who continually deny the permits to build a new coliseum.

And seriously the team is 4 games below .500, there are 4 teams lower in the overall standings than the Islanders, and yet who gets painted as a laughing stock?

An ex-owner in jail, a series of failed GMs and a once storied franchise was then left gutted. Milbury should drawn and quartered, how that man was able to keep his job is beyond EVERYONE.

Go ahead and root for the Kings, perhaps they'll do well. If they do win the cup it will be about time. They and the St Louis Blues currently have the longest stretch (along with Toronto) without a cup. What's it been? 44 years?

8. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    As long as the former Canuck backup goalie is the New York Islander GM, there is no chance that the Islanders are going to be in contention.
    As a kid, Mike Bossy, Brian Trottier and Denis Potvan were names we love to hate but couldn't cause they were truly great.

2MM_Guy likes this.
  9. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    :D And Snow is still a step up from Milbury and his ilk. But yes, you're absolutely correct... and I'm not trying to argue anything otherwise. It's painful to see what has become of a franchise that, at one point, had one of the best teams ever assembled.

At 4 i was taken to my first Islander's game... in 1975. Family had season tix until '88 and those successes make the last 10 years hard to swallow.

I lived in Colorado for 10 years, 2/3 of which were after the Nordiques moved down. Went to many games in Denver and was even lucky to be at games 5 and 7 in 2001, against the Devils, when Sakic handed The Cup over to Bourque before lifting it over his own head. Forsberg skating around, holding the cup over his head in street clothes and jersey.

At this point, several years removed from the states I can't really consider myself passionate about any one team, though obviously the Islanders, as pathetic as they have been, still remain in my soul. Now I just love watching the game, any game. It's not easy following hockey out here, and I'm thinking about getting the NHL online access to do that, but as i said above, I'm concerned that with a NY based CC games will be held back for 48 hours.

Taiwaned, what is your experience with the online subscription? I assume that's what you have.

10. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually no.
    Slingbox with the receiver back in Canada.
    At least you got to witness the dynasty years. Canuck peaked at the same time the Islanders did, only problem was, our peak was no where near as good as when the Islanders peaked. 40 long losing years which is hard to take.

11. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember well the Roger Neilson towel waving days. Was that '82?

Alright, I'll need to figure something out for games as we're only 3 weeks from the playoffs.

12. East_Yorker
    Original Member

East_Yorker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Being in Toronto, we need to be thinking, again, about which Canadian team to support in the playoffs this year.

The kids have done well recently, but they dug too deep a hole early in the season.

Go Canucks!

DanJ, taiwaned and milchap like this.
  13. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes Canucks

taiwaned likes this.
  14. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    Shouldn't you be rooting for the Coyotes? After all they are the Winnipeg "Jets" of the future are they not?

15. Analise
    Original Member

Analise Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hockey fans should LOVE this story! Imagine going to work like you always do but then being called by your big brother and asked a favor. What's that favor? To be the goalie for the Florida Panthers' morning practice at Madison Square Garden. Going from a beer league to the National Hockey League...for the morning. I love this story:

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flap...l-street-to-msg-to-help-florida-panthers.html

16. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Apparently the round trip ticket was more appealing than the one way.

17. 2MM_Guy
    Original Member

2MM_Guy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even though I am a <cough, cough> Maple Leaf fan, I loved the Islanders in their glory years! They were classy, smooth and exciting! Everything that Ballard wasn't. I was both envious and rooting for NYI at the same time.

18. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since you said classy I'll post this:
    Naa7g4HvUGhVHgD.jpg
    Potvin, Butch Goring on the far right (obscured), Bob Bourne (my guess) and, on the left, #12, Duane Sutter. :D

And best of all, it was taken in The Spectrum. :D

19. 2MM_Guy
    Original Member

2MM_Guy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!

Didn't like the Flyers (Broad St. Bullies), so this was especially sweet! :D

kwai likes this.
  20. DanJ
    Original Member

DanJ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never bought in to the "have to cheer for a Canadian team" thing, myself. I usually root for a team with local connections such as Anaheim over Ottawa a few years ago. I did root for Calgary and Edmonton in their somewhat recent runs. Fat chance I'll cheer for Montreal.

Horse, 2MM_Guy and East_Yorker like this.
  21. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I liked Winnipeg back in the day. No idea why, but it could have been Randy Carlisle/Dale Howerchuck. It will be a good day for hockey when they reclaim their team.

East_Yorker likes this.
  22. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I threw in a pic with D Sutter for some classy irony. :D It took me a minute to figure out the arena.

23. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another win for the Canucks verses the Thrashers.
    Despite Theo Flurey predicting an early exit for the Canucks, if the Canucks match up with anybody other than the Hawks, it would be a pretty easy ride.

24. 2MM_Guy
    Original Member

2MM_Guy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are we doing predictions for the playoffs yet?

25. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    Still too early for that. The President's Cup hasn't quite been decided yet.
    We lost Hamhuis today due to concussion. No idea when he will come back.
    The injuries are just crazy.