20% when you buy miles - until 31st March 2011

Discussion in 'bmi | Diamond Club' started by sofasurfer, Feb 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sofasurfer
    Original Member

sofasurfer Silver Member

Status Points:

Seems to be nicely timed after confirmation that DC will remain around for the time being:

Wonder if they're trying to get some more cash together, in the wake of some recent wholesale clearing-out of DC accounts? ;)

swisshera, calvinoeh, JetSet and 4 others like this.
  2. GBM
    Original Member

GBM Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know I bought last year around this time with the 20% more miles.
    I just cannot recall, was there a better offer later in the year? (Just so I manage my family account wisely [​IMG])

GBM

3. FlyingOnceMore
    Original Member

FlyingOnceMore Silver Member

Status Points:
    20% is normal for these offers; they run them several times a year. There was a 50% bonus offer for one week in December, so you could buy the 24k maximium for the price of 16k. That was the first time there's been a bonus that high so there's no knowing if &/or when they'll run it again.

4. sofasurfer
    Original Member

sofasurfer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can't say I've kept a rigourous count, but in my (admittedly limited, compared to some of you veterans!) experience it seems to happen twice a year (maybe three times?).

This would be a great thing to have as a wiki item
    (yes, I know past performance isn't necessarily an indicator of future stuff, etc. but it'd be interesting to see if anything did show up)

I'm still kicking myself for missing out on the 50% offer by one day [​IMG] - must learn to set auto-reminders to the correct date [​IMG] (or give myself at least a day's "padding" to compensate for own incompetence!)

5. Handy to know, this. I've a friend in HK who's in the market for buying miles to get to AGP (which isn't the easiest of places to get too on Star)

6. GBM
    Original Member

GBM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I must have missed this December sale.
    LX with the new flat C from HKG-ZRH is the way to go! and then on to AGP.

7. view
    Original Member

view Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great news! I was just waiting for one of these, thanks for sharing.

8. JetSet
    Original Member

JetSet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ouch! Hurts that I missed that 50% sale. But, 20% ain't bad so thanks for the heads up OP.

9. Globalflyer
    Original Member

Globalflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Please remember that once you buy the 24,000 miles you cannot buy an more BMI miles for this calendar year. I'm going to wait and see if the offers get better!

10. grand voyageur
    Original Member

grand voyageur Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bought 24k last december wtith 20% bonus and cleared out my account with a CDG-BKK-KTM redemption. Now that DC might be around for another year, I might have to build up miles again. Will try to hold off for 50 % offer...

11. Eorpa
    Original Member

Eorpa Active Member

Status Points:
    I just opted to buy as I haven't flown *A for the last year and I've now lost my BD Gold. I didn't think Diamond Club would have survived this long. Now I'm wondering if they would comp me back to gold if I asked? I did get status match initially but I earned double the required mileage each year to retain...

Anyways the 24k will come in handy on top of what's left in my account.

12. Globalflyer
    Original Member

Globalflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm pretty sure the match is a once in a lifetime thing. No harm in asking though!

13. heramato
    Original Member

heramato Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll wait for a better offer since I have enough points for this year

14. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Make sure to get family members signed up for the family plan, and save a few family member accounts for the 50% discounted miles later this yr. Miles purchased for others who are part of your family plan can be transferred to your main account to compound your redemption ability. Last year's 50% sale was great. for about .01 cpm I bought enough miles for 2 biz redemptions for use this yr.

swisshera likes this.
  15. sofasurfer
    Original Member

sofasurfer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do we really think there will be another 50% promo? The 20% seems to be a fairly regular one, but I think that 50% one (that I just missed due to a stupid date fail on my part) may have been a one-off...

I'm still undecided as to whether or not I *need* to buy any more miles as yet. We may need some later this year, but am not that sure about buying a pile that I don't immediately need for now. Hmm.

16. FlyingOnceMore
    Original Member

FlyingOnceMore Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are certain bmi promos that are predictable on an annual basis both in content and when they'll happen; 20% bonus on 'Buy Miles' is one of them. There'll definitely be another one in a few months. As you say the 50% bonus was a first and only lasted for one week. Of all the promos I wouldn't put money on happening again with any regularity, if ever, that one would be at the top of the list.