20 hour layover in HKG, what about my bags?

Discussion in 'Cathay Pacific | Asia Miles/Marco Polo Club' started by PedroNY, Jun 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am flying JFK-HKG-DPS on Cathay. We are planning to have 2 carry ons and we will also check in a bag. Because we land in HKG at 2:00pm we are not able to leave for DPS till 10:00am next day. We will be spending a night in Hong Kong. I was wondering if I have to take my checked-in luggage with me or will Cathay hold it for me and move it to the next flight?

I actually called Cathay, and I got a weird answer from Customer Service Rep. At first she told me that I would be able to do it if it was within 24 hours, so I was glad to hear it. Then she double checked and said because there other potential flights that I could have taken and I would have beena able to arrive in the morning in time for DPS flight -- they will not hold my luggage. She said something about "10 hour connection maximum..." I am a bit confused.

Anyone actually needed to do this? I posted the same thead months ago on FT, but I am hoping someone here also may know.

Best,

PedroNY

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. flacey8
    Original Member

flacey8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    to answer your question - no, i have not had to do this.

Few ways i think can of to deal with the bags:
    1) pick up the checked-in bag and store them (for a fee) at the airport
    2) pick up the checked-in bag and do a check-in for your next flight (i.e. don't check-in all the way through at JFK) - you can check-in up to 24 hours before you flight (if i remember correctly)

sobore and JohnDeere19 like this.
  3. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will update my own thread.

We were able to check in all of our bags through to DPS, so when we spent 20 hours in HKG, we did not need to worry about our bags. When we showed up at DPS, the bags came off the same flight.

Cheers,

PedroNY

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  4. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    that sounds right. more than 24 and i recall they make you pick them up. hope you enjoy DPS.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  5. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm actually in a similar situation. The flight out of DPS on CX means I have to spend the night in HKG. Thanks OP!

6. dkelly1110
    Original Member

dkelly1110 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same situation. They gave us the option, but we collected them in HKG and re-checked (to our final destination - EWR via YYZ). Priority First tags and they were the first ones off the belt anyway.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you figured out where you'll spend the one night? It's expensive, but the W is a fun hotel if you like Ws. It's located on top of the Kowloon Airport Express Train Station, so ti's super convenient and there's a huge upscale shopping mall there too. You can check in and drop bags at the train station, but be aware that there's an earlier deadline for doing this. You can also do this very early, run around the city, and then take the train to the airport (without dealing with checked luggage) when you're ready.

sobore and JohnDeere19 like this.
  8. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's where I'm staying @ 12,000 SPG points.

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be sure to go up to the pool in different lights for the view. It's protected by glass panels and heat lamp things, so it's possible even in bad weather, although I've found that the water temp tends to vary, so you might want to just look.

10. dkelly1110
    Original Member

dkelly1110 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was nice and refreshing 2 weeks ago.

Also, on the way home during our overnight in HKG a few days ago, we stayed at the Sky City Marriott - they had a shuttle back and forth to the airport. The hotel was ... fine. As I said, we stayed at the W earlier in the trip, and it sure is convenient via Airport Express. Pool on 77/F was quite the view.

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In December and March, the water tended to be nice and warm one day but cold the next, with the same weather.

12. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    That shopping mall is known as the Elements: http://www.elementshk.com

MSPeconomist likes this.
  13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, in addition to luxury stores, a variety of restaurants and coffee places, and an ice skating rink, it contains a huge grocery store that focuses on natural and organic foods. They have a reasonably big wine department and some fast food counters as well as a selection of takeout. My impression is that it's considered pretty expensive for Hong Kong. It's easy and convenient but of course not as much fun as street markets. It's also easy to get lost in this mall.

PedroNY likes this.
  14. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just to add to this thread. We also stayed at the W Hotel (on the way back), and we enjoyed our experience. I have to say, the pool is pretty nice, I recommend to at least visit it. If you care, walk over through Elements mall to Ritz-Carlton and visit the highest bar in the world, the name is "Ozone Bar", you will be on the 118th floor and the view of Hong Kong is just spectacular, drink prices are about $100-120 HKD, and no cover charge!

It is well worth 12,000 points, enjoy!

Cheers,

PedroNY

15. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    to everyone: in HKG you can check in the calendar day before. so if the original checkin agent refuse to thru check, you can always go to the departures hall to check your bags in HKG.